account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

Xperia Z auto-rotate not working

Rookie
Message 1 of 40
Message 1 of 40

Xperia Z auto-rotate not working

So my phone is only a few months old.  A few weeks ago the auto-rotate stopped working for a while, but it fixed itself so I ignored the issue.

However, it's back.  This time, it's been like this for 3 days and the problem isn't getting fixed.  I've tried:

Turning Auto-Rotate on/off

Hard resetting the phone (volume key + power button)

Factory Resetting the phone

Restarting the phone with auto-rotate on/off

To no avail.  Now:

Don't tell me to download a third party app, I refuse.  There were no updates involved before the issue started.  The gyro sensor works - when I use the camera the controls rotate as needed - the problem only exists in things like WhatsApp (or anywhere I have to use the keyboard), the Album, etc.  It is a huge issue for me as I use my phone a lot for photo viewing and texting, and the keyboard is too small for me to use in Portrait mode.

Please, any help?  Sending the phone in to my service provider is a mess as they don't give loan phones and sometimes they keep the thing for up to 6 weeks.  Anything else I can try?  I'm starting to become incredibly disappointed in Sony.  If this problem extends to my Xperia Tablet Z as well I'll be very, very disappointed indeed!

39 REPLIES 39
Master
Message 2 of 40
Message 2 of 40

Re: Xperia Z auto-rotate not working

Hi and welcome to the community! Since you're new please be sure that you have checked out our Discussion guidelines.

I would suggest that you try to boot your phone into safe mode to see if the problem may be related to any 3rd party app that you have installed in your phone:

http://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/FAQ/How-to-boot-your-phone-into-safe-mode/m-p/348008#U348008

You can also try to calibrate the accelerometer and gyroscope if you open the dialer > *#*#7378423#*#* > calibrations. 

sony_logo126x24.gif
What are your thoughts about this forum? Let us know by doing this short survey.

Highlighted
Rookie
Message 3 of 40
Message 3 of 40

Hi,

First off, thanks for the reply.  Appreciate it!  Then, I ran the calibration stuffs and everything is working fine.

Booting into Safe Mode did fix the problem while in Safe Mode.  I don't know what happened or why, but I just rebooted back into normal mode and everything is fixed.  So yeah.  You're the best, if you were here with me in South Africa I'd buy you a beer.  Or a lion.  Maybe a giraffe.

I kid.  Thank for you help man, I appreciate it!  Grinning Face

Master
Message 4 of 40
Message 4 of 40

Glad to hear that it solved your problem! Slightly smiling Face

sony_logo126x24.gif
What are your thoughts about this forum? Let us know by doing this short survey.

Rookie
Message 5 of 40
Message 5 of 40

Yeah so guess who's back?  The problem was gone for a while, but it's back - this time intermittently.  Sometimes the phone rotates, other times it refuses.  It's annoying as **bleep**.  Is there not some way to fix this completely?  Is this a software or hardware issue?  It went gaga right after the big software update, I'm sorry to say...  Slightly frowning Face

Master
Message 6 of 40
Message 6 of 40

Hi, 

Sorry to hear that. In that case i suggest that you try to reinstall/repair the phone software using PC Companion: 

http://www.sonymobile.com/update

In PC Companion, press start on Support Zone > Start on Update the phone/tablet software > Press the blue link that says "Repair phone/tablet".

Before repairing the software in your device you may want to backup your information first. Check out this topic for more information on how to:
http://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/FAQ/Backup-amp-Transfer/m-p/407253#U407253

sony_logo126x24.gif

Adviser
Message 7 of 40
Message 7 of 40

I too have had this problem. I thought it was a 3rd party app so used the pc companion to repair the problem. But to no avail. The problem came back within half an hour so I can only put the problem down to the kit kat update. My phone was fine until I updated.
One time poster
Message 8 of 40
Message 8 of 40

That's exactly where I am as well.

Haven't changed my software load but the 4.4.4 update stopped auto-rotate Slightly frowning Face

Inhabitant
Message 9 of 40
Message 9 of 40

I had the same issue, it could act up a second, a hundred times a day. Then it stopped working a whole day. Now it's fine. Very random and confusing. It's not a calibration thing, it either works or it doesn't.

Adviser
Message 10 of 40
Message 10 of 40

In only on the 4.4.2 update. And it's still not working. Thinking of unlocking boot loader and installing custom firmware and see if that sorts the problem. Has anyone done this and had results? just before I go try.