account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Xperia Z - No Sound on Calls

One time poster
Message 1 of 75
Message 1 of 75

Xperia Z - No Sound on Calls

I've just purchased a new Xperia Z today and as I brought it home and tried to call someone, they couldn't hear me and I couldn't even hear them. I can't even hear the ringtone when calling. They receive my phone call fine, but getting no sound.

Done a factory reset and a Repair through PC Companion but still not working. SMS works fine, so my sim/network seems alright. My MIC is working with Google Voice and sounds are coming out the device when I play music, so the speaker and mic seem to be in order.

Call Settings/Sound settings seem to be correct, I thought it was the obvious that the Mute Button was on but it isn't. I feel like this problem will be simple to fix but nothing works. Reinserted the Sim Card aswell. It seems more like a software problem since the Speaker and Mic are working correctly, just not with phone calls. Would the Sim Card be no good for calls but fine for SMS/Internet? I don't have another sim card to test that out.

I've tried using the headset/mic combo to make calls, that doesn't work either, and putting calls on loudspeaker doesn't do anything either.

Any help would be great. I've used Android for the last 3 years so I'm not new to the OS. It seems like no-one else has this problem with Xperia Z, I've checked every thread on here plus searched the net for a fix. I'm out of ideas :/

74 REPLIES 74
Emperor
Message 2 of 75
Message 2 of 75

Re: Xperia Z - No Sound on Calls

get a brand new MICRO sim card

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

One time poster
Message 3 of 75
Message 3 of 75

I just visited my Sister and used her Micro Sim card and it's the same problem when calling, so it's not my Micro Sim Card that is faulty. It seems to be the Phone itself. The Shops are closed so I'm stuck with a phone that doesn't make calls till Monday. Expressionless Face

Genius
Message 4 of 75
Message 4 of 75

sounds like a hardware fault to me, there are chips that swich channels around to the various output devices  depending on activity - sounds like it's not switching the audio from the network

you could try switching to gsm only in network but you still have an issue even if that works, also the software handler device application for calls might be corrupted - stopping the service and resetting the cache might also force it to restartand properly connect the channels but it's a long shot and I don't know whcih one is the call handler

is TTY mode set to off ?

I would take it back for a replacement ASAP

Emperor
Message 5 of 75
Message 5 of 75

test the hardware

1) Service Menu

http://talk.sonymobile.com/thread/24534

or

2) download this app "Xperia Diagnosis"

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sonymobile.androidapp.functiontester&feature=searc...

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

One time poster
Message 6 of 75
Message 6 of 75

Everything is working correctly in the Xperia Diagnosis. It's just not working correctly during phone calls.

Geoff, I tried the GSM Mode earlier, still no good. And I doubt the Call Application is corrupted as I did a factory reset and a Repair through Companion Software.

Genius
Message 7 of 75
Message 7 of 75

I do understand your logic but in the little time I've been using Android I'm starting to assume nothing, there caches and data stored all over the place and factory resets etc may not get rid of it

and TTY is disabled ?  it's configuration for deaf people

I'd still go for a hardware fault but no harm in trying other stuff

I really love this phone it is stunning but you're always going to get hardware faults slipping out to customers, you just got unlucky

Yes there are many people complaining here about this and that but if you filter through all the crap there are about 4 issues that people are reporting that sony needs to attend too - the rest are either self inflicted or a lack of understanding of features of this phone or as you may have - a hardware defect that slipped through QA at the factory

One time poster
Message 8 of 75
Message 8 of 75

Yeah, TTY is disabled.

I'm just going to take it back, I've spent too much time troubeshooting and I'll tear the last of my hair I have left if I keep going. I'm really happy with the phone, I do understand with every product you'll get a certain failure rate. Made sure they turned it on in the store and put the sim in to show it working because the last time I bought a laptop I ended up with two not working in a row and both by different brands. I'm just so unlucky when it comes to Tech products. Atleast the new laptop I bought today worked!

It's just a pity that the Arc S is a different type of Sim Card, I could still use my old phone, I've just picked the worst time to buy a phone while the shops are now shut for holidays. ><</p>

Thanks for the help anyway.

Genius
Message 9 of 75
Message 9 of 75

if you have an old sim card laying around you can make a cradle for the micro sim with a bit of careful cutting- not that hard to do or use a bit of plastic from a container lid or similar - not rocket science  :smileygrin:

One time poster
Message 10 of 75
Message 10 of 75

It could be due to the thickness of the sim card resulting in the card not being properly detected.I had the same problem before. I suggest you to cut one or two small piece of paper and put it underneath your sim card on the tray so that the sim card becomes thicker and has better fit in the sim slot. Let me know the outcome.