account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Why is the Xperia Z so expensive from sony?

SOLVED
Regular
Message 1 of 5
Message 1 of 5

Why is the Xperia Z so expensive from sony?

Have just been having a quick look at the sim free prices and have found a couple of retailers (online) that are selling the Z for about £100 less than sony are selling it.

If other people can afford to sell it at that price, why not Sony?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Demigod
Message 5 of 5
Message 5 of 5

Re: Why is the Xperia Z so expensive from sony?

Because SONY retail shop has to sell according to suggested retail price that is communicated to all resellers/merchants. If SONY retail outlets sell at lower price that SRP, it would be anti-competitive. Especially for new products.

For resellers & merchants, although there are SRP, it's essentially up to them how much profit they want to earn. They usually mark up or reduce the prices where they see fit.

4 REPLIES 4
Emperor
Message 2 of 5
Message 2 of 5

I doubt you will find that info here perhaps customer service can help you

http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/support/contact-us/

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Adept
Message 3 of 5
Message 3 of 5

Merchants you see online will be distributors so they give offers with less price.

whereas sony retail shops can't give such deals

Highlighted
Veteran
Message 4 of 5
Message 4 of 5

Anyway I agree this is wired.

Demigod
Message 5 of 5
Message 5 of 5

Because SONY retail shop has to sell according to suggested retail price that is communicated to all resellers/merchants. If SONY retail outlets sell at lower price that SRP, it would be anti-competitive. Especially for new products.

For resellers & merchants, although there are SRP, it's essentially up to them how much profit they want to earn. They usually mark up or reduce the prices where they see fit.