account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

When are we getting the latest update? 4.3 and 4.4.2 and 4.4.4

869 REPLIES 869
Rookie
Message 1 of 870
Message 1 of 870

Xperia Z: Complete List of Bugs & Issues

Gracenote Update

I had approxamitely 3200 songs in my library. I attempted to update the artwork and music info using the integrated 'Download music info' option (powered by Gracenote). This repeatedly fails and crashes, and somehow managed to wipe approximitely 40 artists from my library of 150 artists. I now only have 108 artists, and have lost a lot of music, which I had paid for or ripped from CDs. I now have to do rip these all over again, and I've also wasted a considerable amount of money on MP3s which have now been wiped by shoddy software!!! I just tried to update some more files, just this moment, and while it managed to update beyond 82/800 tracks, it then failed and gave me a 'Network Error' and advised that 2 tracks had been updated - despite that it had already attempted to update more than 82 tracks!!! It's massively buggy. Not going to use it anymore in fear that it wipes more of my library.

Walkman App

Sometimes shows '-1' artists in library. When tapping into the Artist list and coming back out again, this updates and shows the correct number of artists. Why would it EVER show that I have '-1' artists in my library?!?

Xperia Arc Stock Headphones

My previous handset was the 2011 'flagship' Xperia Arc. The stock headphones which came with this handset are of a much better build quality (and tangle a lot less easily) than the stock headphones which came with the Xperia Z. However, upon connecting the Xperia Arc headphones to the Xperia Z, I get a message saying 'Headset not supported. Use another headset or visit the Sony Mobile support site for more information'. So, seeing that I'm here right now, and that the error message instructed me to ask here, I'd like to ask the question; why do Sony not provide support for their own product, and what can I do about it?

MBS-100

Everytime I connect over Bluetooth to my MBS-100 (first generation) my WiFi crashes after about 4 minutes. Every time. This does NOT happen with my MBS-200. Seems Sony haven't put enough effort in testing support for their older devices/products, this is clearly also the case above with the stock Xperia Arc headphones.

Photo Album uploading with Facebook for Xperia

Tried uploading 31 pictures using the integrated share to Facebook for Xperia feature last night, on a FAST connection (Download Speed: 44.9MBPS / Upload Speed: 7.4MBPS) - 1 picture uploaded, service failed. Tried again, 2 pictures uploaded, service failed. Tried again, notification said 'Uploading pictures for about 18 minutes, before timing out and failing without uploading any pictures. Any pictures that did upload, did not upload in order either. After repeatedly attempting this about 30/40 times, I managed to upload about 17 of the 31 pictures, and had to connect by USB in order to do the rest. Seems like this feature was slapped on without any REAL testing by Sony.

Lockscreen Bypass

It is possible to bypass the lockscreen by typing '*#*#7378423#*#*' and doing an NFC test in the Service Tests menu (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLq1gxIt5YQ) - this renders the handset COMPLETELY UNSECURE.

Socialife

Never updates automatically. Sometimes updates manually. Sometimes doesn't. Just tested manually refreshing this moment, today being March 26th, and nothing is showing beyond the afternoon of March 25th.

Stamina Mode / Battery Life

When first experiencing issues with my handset, a Repair was advised by support staff on the forum here, and official Sony Customer Support Staff. Following this repair, by battery life at 100% showed 4 DAYS AND 12 HOURS. A week later, on 100%, my battery life dropped to 2 DAYS AND 8 HOURS. Another week later, on 100%, my battery life is now showing 1 DAY AND 1 HOUR. All of these figures are with Stamina mode turned on. I haven't added anything to the handset to affect performance, it's simply degrading of it's own accord. Which makes me wonder why the support staff repeatedly assure us on these forums that 'the battery life will improve after a few charging cycles' - this is not the case, and there is CLEARLY a Power Management issue, which needs to be resolved.

LED Notification

Fortunately, I am not experiencing the LED issue that others have been. But it should be listed as others have been experiencing it.

Sleep of Death

Fortunately, I am not experiencing this issue. But it should be listed as others have been experiencing it.

WiFi Signal Issues

Fortunately again, I am not experiencing any major WiFi issues. However, when uploading photos using Facebook for Xperia last night, it knocked off my WiFi twice for no reason. And I've also documented my WiFi issues in combination with Bluetooth to MBS-100 above.

Accessories

The 2011 flagship Xperia Arc came with quality headphones, a charger, and a mini-HDMI to HDMI cable for outputting to HDTVs. The 2013 flagship Xperia Z came with cheaper headphones, a charger and NO cable for outputting to my HDTV. I expected this to be included in the package, given the lofty pricetag, but now I realise I must go and buy an 'MHL Cable' - something I didn't even know existed until after I purchased the device. Thank you for not including this cable Sony.

If anyone has any further legitimate bugs/issues to add to the list above, let me know and I'll keep the OP updated.

Thanks,

Lemon.

Rookie
Message 2 of 870
Message 2 of 870

Re: Xperia Z: Complete List of Bugs & Issues

Dear Support Staff,

I would appreciate an acknowledgement or a reply to this thread.

If you've taken the time to read my post, then you'll see that I was directed to come here by the device itself, in the following error mssage, when using the OFFICIAL Sony Xperia Arc stock headphones with my Xperia Z;

'Headset not supported. Use another headset or visit the Sony Mobile support site for more information.'

So, I'm here, on the Sony Mobile support site, as directed, and would appreciate the 'more information' that was promised in my device's error messsage!

I would also appreciate if you could address the other issues also;

* The Sony Gracenote service issue which other users have confirmed is also buggy.

* Walkman app briefly showing -1 artists, when I have 108 in my library.

* The bluetooth/WiFi issue when streaming to the Sony MBS-100.

* The broken image uploader with Facebook inside Xperia, a feature Sony are only too keen to sell.

* The faulty stamina mode and the swift degrading of battery life rather than improvement following numerous charging cycles.

* The Lockscreen bypass which renders the device completely unsecure.

I look forward to your reply, or any contributions for that matter.

Thanks,

Lemon.

One time poster
Message 3 of 870
Message 3 of 870

I am having the similar wifi issues.... sony support please comment on this and give us a solution and justify our spending on this gadget

Learner
Message 4 of 870
Message 4 of 870

Hi, My issues with the xperia Z are:

- randomly several applications crushed up and close without any error message

- the very annoying one: i have some videos made with xperia s (mp4) and when i try to play with the default player i have an error message "video not supported". But if I play this videos with the same player but passing by astro instead, the viedos are played normally!!!!!! Same thing if i try to read it with vlc ... it works fine!!

Learner
Message 5 of 870
Message 5 of 870

found another minor issue with GPS:

GPS is working fine, fast and with good precesission. But...

NMEA output in GSA sentense state a 2D-fix only, even if more tha 12 Sat's in sight and used.

Altitude and Position is reported correctly, Delution op Point is reported as very good but 3D-fix is not reported in NMEA GSA output.

Rookie
Message 6 of 870
Message 6 of 870

Here is the error message for the Walkman app - showing '2915' tracks, but showing '-1' albums and '-1' artists;

Walkman.png

I find this display error will appear when navigating to the app from the 'running apps' side window. Once you click into 'Artists' and return to 'My Music' the app shows the correct figures of '266' albums and '120' artists.

One time poster
Message 7 of 870
Message 7 of 870

Additonal Bugs and annoying features:

Facebook integration: Facebook profile photos not linking to contacts consistently

After following instructions to reset and restart the sync 3 times, there is no indication of progress to completion.

A call was logged with tech support on this.

I have seen it work better on other phones

SMS Signatures

Unable to add signatures to SMS messages. Following a call to tech support I was told this also.

Standard on a number of phones

Sliding lock screen

As a safety feature a sliding lock screen over the PIN entry screen is needed.

Standard on a number of phones

Delay when dialing from a contact

Quite often I find that when I select a contact to dial, there is a significant delay before anything happens. While waiting there is not indication that the operation is in progress.

Highlighted
Sony Xperia Support
Message 8 of 870
Message 8 of 870

Hi Lemon,

Which build number are you running on?

You can find more info about the two different connector standards for headset here: http://talk.sonymobile.com/message/154264#154264

Rookie
Message 9 of 870
Message 9 of 870

Xperia Z update not available in Iran

Sony's support site shows the latest available software as Android Jelly bean 4.2,but the update is not available through OTA/PC companion in Iran!

How could i update my XZ?