account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Video player rotation

SOLVED
One time poster
Message 1 of 11
Message 1 of 11

Video player rotation

Hi,

When starting to play a video, the video player on my Xperia Z automatically rotates to landscape mode, even if the video was made in portrait mode:

2013-03-13 21.58.46.png

Pressing the fullscreen button only only stretches the video to the wrong aspect ratio:

2013-03-13 22.17.02.png

While other apps rotate fine, I am unable to rotate the video player to portrait mode.

As a consequence, portrait videos are displayed very small. Is this a software bug or am I missing something?

Also, I'm still waiting for a reply on my other question: http://talk.sonymobile.com/thread/122063.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Sony Xperia Support
Message 8 of 11
Message 8 of 11

Re: Video player rotation

I will pass it on.

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
One time poster
Message 2 of 11
Message 2 of 11

A lot of movie player apps only play in landscape mode, they don't support the auto rotate. I assume this is the case with the Sony movie player.

Emperor
Message 3 of 11
Message 3 of 11

if you want to watch a video on portrait that was recorded on portrait you will need to use a different video player like QuickPic (yes it has a video player)

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

One time poster
Message 4 of 11
Message 4 of 11

Well, if the mods/support team read this, maybe they can pass it on to the development team as a feature request?

I like to use the build-in apps as much as possible, because their interface/theme is nicely integrated with the rest of the phone. Before my Xperia Z, I've been using iPhone for three years, where rotating videos has never been any problem.

Emperor
Message 5 of 11
Message 5 of 11

this wasn't an issue on other Xperias but it shouldn't be hard for Sony Devs to fix this

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

One time poster
Message 6 of 11
Message 6 of 11

@Sony Xperia support: would it be possible to pass this on?

Inhabitant
Message 7 of 11
Message 7 of 11

Stock video player rotation is a known issue, I tried to play the original commercial video that I found on internal memory with stock Sony player and I wanted to watch this in full screen but the movie didn't rotate... I can see it only the way that Nick89 posted on his first screen.

What is wired, when you put this number: *#*#73556673#*#* then the same promo video will start in full screen :/
Remember that after you put this number, the promo video will start every time you unlock the phone. To cancel it, just put this number again.

Thank you.

Sony Xperia Support
Message 8 of 11
Message 8 of 11

I will pass it on.

One time poster
Message 9 of 11
Message 9 of 11

I highly reccomend mx player from playstore

One time poster
Message 10 of 11
Message 10 of 11

hi ronald i just installed mxplayer and did one video it was great but when i did another one and clicked on the icon to watch it its not there only the first one i did and i cant watch it from my gallery im not very up on phones so any suggestions much apreciated