account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up cart mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unknown folder baidu is created on starting phone each time

Commissioner
Message 41 of 139
Message 41 of 139

Re: Unknown folder baidu is created on starting phone each time

Thanks, but Sony support told me they will not service or support the phone if it has been rooted. That is why I am waiting for Sony to release a firmware update.

Commissioner
Message 42 of 139
Message 42 of 139

Temporary workaround without rooting, to prevent the unknown baidu folder from being created. It requires to block the MyXperia app from starting. it is like disabling it. Following this post http://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-Z-ZL-ZR/Disable-remove-What-s-new-in-4-4-4/m-p/823607, did the following:

1. Back up important data on the phone and do a factory reset.
  2. Start up the phone, go to Settings -> Apps -> Running and force stop the myXperia apps running (there are 2). Remove the baidu folder using File Kommander.
  3. Next, enable developer mode, Settings -> About Phone -> Click 7 times on the Build Number.
  4. Download or install the Android SDK. Install it. Connect the phone to the computer with USB cable.
  5. Next, run the adb tool in the android sdk's platform tools folder as (to be done in a command line window)
  6. adb shell <enter>

In adb shell, type the following commands:

pm block com.sonymobile.android.mx
Exit adb
reboot

The baidu folder does not get created thereafter. However, there is no guarantee that the /system/libbdpush_V2_0.so library is not in use. Can Sony confirm that the library does not get used if the MyXperia service is stopped this way?

Learner
Message 43 of 139
Message 43 of 139

So, any official word on what this is? Why is there a service and library associated with a third party company constantly running on my device?
Rookie
Message 44 of 139
Message 44 of 139

I found some answers in the XDA forums. The same folder appears in at least Google Nexus 5 and the HTC One M8. Apparently, it's part of a certain launcher. I don't use any launchers or themes other than the default for my Sony Xperia Z, but I saw this folder today, last modified on September 23rd.

Adept
Message 45 of 139
Message 45 of 139

KaizerAllen wrote:

I found some answers in the XDA forums. The same folder appears in at least Google Nexus 5 and the HTC One M8. Apparently, it's part of a certain launcher. I don't use any launchers or themes other than the default for my Sony Xperia Z, but I saw this folder today, last modified on September 23rd.

I don't believe the launcher is the problem. For me, the app that is creating this folder is the My Xperia app. 

Commissioner
Message 46 of 139
Message 46 of 139

Fact... this is not created by any application or launchers upon upgrade, but by the My Xperia application / service. If you disable or remove My Xperia, this folder never gets created again. Rooting the phone voids warranty. Therefore, you can use adb to block My Xperia

Apprentice
Message 47 of 139
Message 47 of 139

How about it, Sony? Shavanni isn't the only concerned about Chinese Spyware in the Sony firmware! For every post here, there is a multitude of Sony users asking themselves where what serious mistake caused this and what else might be amiss.

Are you taking this serious enough?

Adviser
Message 48 of 139
Message 48 of 139

"How about it, Sony? Shavanni isn't the only concerned about Chinese Spyware in the Sony firmware! For every post here, there is a multitude of Sony users asking themselves where what serious mistake caused this and what else might be amiss.

Are you taking this serious enough?"

I think answer is clearly NO.  I'm betting that Sony inadvertantly left a portion of the localization process in place that sets up the tablet/phone on first boot after a wipe.  You know the part where you enter the country you're in and the tablet reboots.  The part the sets up the Baidu process is probably only supposed to be in place for tablets sold to the Chinese market and it's probably there as a mandatory requirement of the Chinese officials.  In my mind that makes it all the more likely it's spyware of a sort - even if it's official.  In any case there is NO REASON AT ALL for an android device running outside of China to have a Baidu-related push server process running.  I woudn't even use such a device.

I think it's unlikely that there will be an official Sony response as they know that only technical people will even notice something like this.  They rightly assume most users are unaware of this background process and they most likely don't want to spin another software update to fix it.

Those are just my guesses.  Who knows, they may fix the problem with a new update in order to protect the privacy of their users outside China.  I could be totally wrong.

In any case, I knew I couldn't trust the Xperia Z tablet with the Baidu push server running.  No way.  That issue combined with bad LCD light leaks, broken MIDI support and other issues made it easy for me to say goodbye and send it back.  Overall it was an impressive tablet on the surface but those are serious issues.  Probably my first and last Sony tablet.  I have a new appreciation for my old Acer that isn't hobbled by that idiotic Google limitation on SD card access.  Maybe the new crop of tablets running Android L will improve on things.

Hope you guys get this figured out on your phones because that's an even bigger issue than the tablets.  I wonder if the Baidu process is logging your phone calls among other things?

Commissioner
Message 49 of 139
Message 49 of 139

Patiently waiting for Sony to provide an update that fixes the issue. Sad, that a feature-rich phone is marred by the unknown baidu folder.
Adviser
Message 50 of 139
Message 50 of 139

Re: MyXperia BAIDU - China on my tablet?

Looks like Sony has little interest in fixing this or even commenting on it.  I'd be really angry if this was suddenly on my phone.

These guys are not happy with the situation.

http://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-Z-ZL-ZR/Unknown-folder-baidu-is-created-on-starting-phone-each-...

Fortunately I was able to rid myself of the nagging doubts about this Baidu process by simply returning the Sony Xperia tablet.  I think that was my first and last Sony android.