account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Unknown folder baidu is created on starting phone each time

Commissioner
Message 21 of 139
Message 21 of 139

Re: MyXperia BAIDU - China on my tablet?

See this link. http://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-Z-ZL-ZR/Unknown-folder-baidu-is-created-on-starting-phone-each-...

I also disabled my Xperia. Still the service just restarts and the baidu folder is back.

Commissioner
Message 22 of 139
Message 22 of 139

Re: Unknown folder baidu is created on starting phone each time

No luck. It still keeps coming back. Even if we untick the my Xperia from Device Administrators, my Xperia still starts it's service. Any other solutions? It does not appear to be related to any other apps, else it would not come back each time, even after a PC Companion Repair. How can I downgrade to the previous firmware?

Message 23 of 139
Message 23 of 139

One question,does the folder show up in safe mode too?

To downgrade,you need a flashtool and a ftf file on 4.4.2.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Adviser
Message 24 of 139
Message 24 of 139

Thanks for the input.  Still, no answer in the other thread and IT IS the MyXperia app that is doing this.  Sony seems quiet about it.

The idea of a "push service" that has ANYTHING to do with China's state sponsored disinformation search engine Baidu running on my device without an option to disable is NOT COMFORTING.  No I don't trust the NSA weasels (who does?) but I certainly don't trust China either.

This service is running regardless of user intervention attempts and it actively updates SQL database files on the device.  THIS IS NOT GOOD.

Worst case, this is some kind of garbage that Sony is forced (by the Chinese authorities) to install for Chinese markets that has been inadvertantly left running for all install locales as opposed to just China.

SONY NEEDS TO ANSWER THIS ISSUE IF WE ARE TO TRUST THESE DEVICES AT ALL!!!

Inhabitant
Message 25 of 139
Message 25 of 139

@rajanv : Are you planning to downgrade just because of an unknown folder, or are there other reasons too? Face with rolling Eyes

Adviser
Message 26 of 139
Message 26 of 139

The more I think about it the more it makes sense that Sony has left some China-required baidu service running for everybody.

When the Xperia is started for the first time or after a wipe the user has to enter the locale information.  At that point, the Xperia reboots completely and again the locale is presented but from there the normal Wifi and Account setup is presented and the user can continue directly to using the tablet. 

This initial locale-entry reboot sequence is something I have not seen before and I have used and owned many Android devices.  It seems to indicate that Sony is making specific priveleged changes to the OS based on the user's choice of locale.  If the locale choice was just making user-level setting changes there would be no reason for the reboot.

I think this contributes to my theory about some China-specific baidu garbage being left in other locale setups like the US and elsewhere.  There is otherwise NO REASON for having a background service for Baidu on a US device.

Commissioner
Message 27 of 139
Message 27 of 139

Yes. Folder shows up in Safe mode too. Regards other question, There is no definitive response on how the unknown folder came about in the firmware update from Sony. Where do I get the ftf & flashtool from?

Forum Legend
Message 28 of 139
Message 28 of 139

As far as I'm aware the folder you speak of is linked to or is a cache folder probably installed by an app that is of China origin - Some apps are most notibly games or rooting apps like vroot etc

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.   Richard P. Feynman

Adviser
Message 29 of 139
Message 29 of 139

The tablet is brand new, has never been rooted and I don't sideload apps.  No apps from China.  The only apps I tried on this tablet have been used on my Acer tablets and phone for a long time.  I don't change apps often.  No "baidu" folder is found on any android I own except this one.

As noted there, if the tablet is reset to factory defaults, the baidu folder still shows up.  It's in the Xperia 4.4.4 rom.

This folder and it's databases have already been linked to the MyXperia app in the other thread referenced above.  Check it out.

Adviser
Message 30 of 139
Message 30 of 139

Just verified this again.

I reset the tablet INCLUDING erasing all data.  When it came back up after the factory reset I didn't even enter wifi or account info.

So with no connection to the outside world, the "baidu" folder shows up with a date of 1970 proving that this Baidu related process is in fact part of the Sony rom and is being installed by Sony on boot.

I think we all deserve explanation as to what this is and an update should be created to get rid of it immediately.