account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

Unknown folder baidu is created on starting phone each time

Sony Xperia Support
Message 101 of 139
Message 101 of 139

Re: Unknown folder baidu is created on starting phone each time

Future updates of MyXperia will be optimised so the Baidu Push Notification framework is only initialized in Mainland China variants of Xperia devices.

But as these services are common standards in the industry, other 3:rd party applications may also include Baidu Push Notifications or other Baidu services, resulting in the Baidu folder being shared between such applications.

Sony Mobile fully reassures all its customers that MyXperia uses a push notification system and does not store any user data for transmission to Baidu.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Apprentice
Message 102 of 139
Message 102 of 139

Thanks for the reassurance, Rickard.

Any idea when the next release is scheduled?

One time poster
Message 103 of 139
Message 103 of 139

STEPS TO DISABLE BAIDU SPYWARE
  1. Backup your important data and factory reset the device.
  2. Turn on the device and go to Settings -> Apps -> Running and Force stop both “MyXperia” apps.
  3. Then remove the baidu folder using File Kommander app.
  4. Go to Settings -> About Phone -> Click 7 times on the Build Number to enable developer mode.
  5. Download or Install the Android SDK on your computer and then connect the Sony device to it using USB cable.
  6. Run the adb tool terminal : adb shell 
  7. In adb shell, type the command: pm block com.sonymobile.mx.android
  8. Exit adb shell
  9. Reboot the device.

http://thehackernews.com/2014/10/sony-xperia-devices-secretly-sending.html

http://www.howtogeek.com/125769/how-to-install-and-use-abd-the-android-debug-bridge-utility/

(This is not only a Sony issue...)

Rookie
Message 104 of 139
Message 104 of 139

If your Xperia phone is not Android 4.4.4, or you use other brand phone,
and it also has a Baidu folder, maybe you installed some apps those use Baidu api.
You can use OS Monitor to find them out.
Thanks to eolwral, the developer of OS Monitor, he wrote this useful app.

---

As a customer, after I upgraded my phone os, and I noticed there is a strange folder,
I think my phone is been hacked, I removed every app that I can do,
tried to find the answer...

Finally, I know this folder is come with the official security app: The myXperia service.
It can locate your device, display its position on a map,
It connects to china at every time actives itself without my permission.
I do not know why and have no idea with it, this really makes me feel terrible.
I do not active the myXperia service, it should not send any data or request out.

After @Rickard's explanation, I did a little study on the push service technology.
I can realize that Sony use the Baidu service is for their customers in the rest world,
for those who can not use the Google service normally.

But the interested thing is why they can not?
And the reason is some people care about...

When Sony decide to use some service from the rest world with their security app,
Should Sony consider this thing more carefully?

---

Another thing is there are more and more build-in apps in Xperia phone,
but I can not delete or disable them that I do not need.
Could Sony let your customers choose what they want?

One time poster
Message 105 of 139
Message 105 of 139

Hey guys

Magnus Hilding here – I’m heading the team developing MyXperia @ Sony Mobile. As Rickard said, we built the app using both protocols to ensure both our Chinese and global users could enjoy MyXperia. However, we’ve designed later versions to package the service relevant to a specific region only – these updates are right around the corner, rolling out soon.

As Rickard said, it’s really nothing to worry about.

/Magnus

Adviser
Message 106 of 139
Message 106 of 139

thanks for all sony. you're really a great team, with this wonderful forum that listens for requests of its users. wait for the new update Grinning Face

Enthusiast
Message 107 of 139
Message 107 of 139

just to let people know I have a Galaxy S2 with CM11 (4.4.4) on it and this folder is on the phone.. not just Sony 

Tablet Xperia Z on stock 4.4.4
Galaxy S2 on 4.4.4
Sage
Message 108 of 139
Message 108 of 139

Guys, guys, calm down...

Can you guys tell us that whether or not you guys are using other China-based apps?

Such as ES File Explorer (which also brings up .baidu folder somehow with uuid file inside)?
One time poster
Message 109 of 139
Message 109 of 139

Hope Sony fixes the problem. I have been using my Xperia ZR from Hong Kong for almost a year and I upgraded to 4.4.4 I realised that there is an unknown baidu folder. I hope Sony releases Android L to fix the problem (the folder to be fully removed) It keeps coming back after i deleted the folder. Shouldn't users in Mainland China get the Baidu service in China only?

One time poster
Message 110 of 139
Message 110 of 139

Rickard,

I'm not buying that explanation. Fact of the matter is: connections get initialized without that the user has installed or permitted anything like that. This kind of behavior is exactly why any user should be allowed to have full control (e.g. root) on their device. It is absolutely ridiculous that users cannot use the full extent of their device without breaking functionality (in this case: camera) and without voiding warranty. Sure, if I do something with my phone that breaks it, then that will be my own problem. But that's not a justification to keep users from getting root access at all.

Sony gave its marketing a nice little spin by claiming they listen to their users, by focusing on battery lifetime rather than making the devices ultra thin. I liked that mentality. But when it comes to this nonsense about root access.. quite the contrary. So listen to your users and give them the control they want.

Oh, and I know that what I'm describing is not an issue specific to Sony alone. But if Sony wants to be *the* company that wants to show its users that they listen to them, then now is the time. The fact that Sony's phone business isn't doing so well is all over the news, so if you want to fix that, then start listening to your users..