account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Want to know more about Xperia 5? To read more about it go here.
If you can't find the answer to your question there please post it here and let the community help you.

Unknown folder baidu is created on starting phone each time

Sony Xperia Support
Message 91 of 139
Message 91 of 139

Re: Baidu spyware on U.S. Xperia release ?

Please see this thread: http://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-Z-ZL-ZR/Unknown-folder-baidu-is-created-on-starting-phone-each-...

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Sony Xperia Support
Message 92 of 139
Message 92 of 139

Re: MyXperia BAIDU - China on my tablet?

Please see this thread: http://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-Z-ZL-ZR/Unknown-folder-baidu-is-created-on-starting-phone-each-...

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Sony Xperia Support
Message 93 of 139
Message 93 of 139

Re: myXperia kept connecting to Beijing server (on Z3)

Adviser
Message 94 of 139
Message 94 of 139

Re: Unknown folder baidu is created on starting phone each time

Sony, for respect and privacy of all your users, you should include the service Baidu ONLY FOR SONY XPERIA CHINESE.
For Xperia Europeans / Americans ETC should not take even this link to servers with Baidu.

What then .. I have not activated the service MyXperia, I have not even set up when you first start.
So why must still connect to Baidu if you do not want to track my Xperia?

I'm beginning not to trust more ..
Fix as soon as possible with an update for all Xperia not in China ..
For the privacy of all your loyal users ..

-Xperia Z3 Compact User

Learner
Message 95 of 139
Message 95 of 139

I don't think this Baidu folder is related to Sony phones, I have a Moto X, Nexus 5 and a z1 compact all 3 phones have this same folder. I am suspecting this is a Chrome Browser configuration because in the Chrome Settings there is a Search Engine setting and although Baidu is not listed for users outside of China but Baidu option might be hidden for Chrome users in China because Google search is banned so Baidu will be the default choice for China, that is my guess.
Adviser
Message 96 of 139
Message 96 of 139

Chrome is not the problem.
Even disabling the folder Baidu remains,
The problem is that you connect on My Xperia constantly on Baidu in China.
My Xperia I have not set up, and I have not activated. so why should always connect to Baidu in China?

It 'a problem that only Sony can fix it (if you like, at least for the privacy of its users).

Commissioner
Message 97 of 139
Message 97 of 139

Sony needs to just fix the problem. Till the next firmware update that will fix it, users can apply the workaround on page 3. Once you block the MyXperia service, phone will not contact any servers in China.

Since Sony is a worldwide and reputed brand, it is in Sony's own interest to have separate firmware with Baidu for their Chinese customers.

Baidu's lightapp technology is only good for Chinese customers and not the rest of the world.

To track the processes and Internet connections made by the phone install an app called Os Monitor from Google Play store as was done by @CodeMan.
Adviser
Message 98 of 139
Message 98 of 139

He's right Rajanv.

I hope that Sony releases an update as soon as possible .. (maybe before the release of Lollipop)
because it is a serious privacy issue for me ..
Learner
Message 99 of 139
Message 99 of 139

As I have mentioned, I have 2 other non Sony Android phones, Motorola X 2013 1generation and Nexus 5 both of these phones have the same Baidu folders, so then explain why is this a Sony Firmware? Seems like this is a Android firmware matter!
Commissioner
Message 100 of 139
Message 100 of 139

The folder is created by the firmware in case of Sony Xperia ZR and is clearly identified as being the Sony MyXperia service. In Moto X and Google Nexus there is no such folder. Both phones do not create this folder via the firmware. You have installed some app that has created the folder on the Moto & Nexus.