account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up cart mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unknown folder baidu is created on starting phone each time

Learner
Message 51 of 139
Message 51 of 139

Re: Unknown folder baidu is created on starting phone each time

I am more concerned that my phone is making regular connections to 61.135.185.18:5287 and 202.108.23.105:5287 than I am over the existence of the folder (it seems these are related to the baidu issue).

I do not like having my phone making unsolicited connections to parties unknown, especially not from pre-installed applications that I likely cannot uninstall without voiding my warranty.

Commissioner
Message 52 of 139
Message 52 of 139

Both those addresses terminate at China. At most, you could try blocking the My Xperia service using adb and then check if the addresses exist. I intend to flash this over twitter now, because Sony is not paying any attention to it. At least with the handle @sonyxperia. That way it will grab eyeballs to get those who are privacy & security conscious to think about whether to purchase Sony Xperia handsets.

Apprentice
Message 53 of 139
Message 53 of 139

That way it will grab eyeballs to get those who are privacy & security conscious to think about whether to purchase Sony Xperia handsets.

And tablets! The Xperia Z tablets suffers exacly the same problem!

Learner
Message 54 of 139
Message 54 of 139

Thanks for the suggestion. I blocked com.sonymobile.mx.android as per the instructions on page 3 (note it says com.sonymobile.android.mx on page 3 which wasn't the case on my Z3c). The folder hasn't returned so far and no further network traffic on those IPs.

I will keep an eye on it.

Apprentice
Message 55 of 139
Message 55 of 139

Re: [Warning] 'baidu' folder will be created on 10.5.1.A.0.283 in internal storage.

Rickard
Sony Xperia Support (3 weeks ago):

I've escalated this internally for more information. I will update you as soon as i get more information.

Rickard, 

This was three weeks ago.

Can you tell us to what level you escalated this? Could it be escalation level 'cover-up'?

Would this level rise if you managed to convince someone up there that any moment now, Sony could get major media attention with headlines such as 'Chinese are looking over shoulders of Sony users', or 'What you didn't sign up for when buying Sony'?

Please hurry up with putting some serious attention to this problem, because I really like your products and Sony can't afford much more negative publicity. Unless of course, Sony has already given up on its mobile division...

Highlighted
Apprentice
Message 56 of 139
Message 56 of 139

Re: [Warning] 'baidu' folder will be created on 10.5.1.A.0.283 in internal storage.

To sketch the magnitude of the problem: potentially, the Chinese governmnet can:

• Read status and identity of your device
  • Make pictures and videos without your knowledge
  • Get your exact location
  • Read the contents of your USB memory
  • Read or edit accounts
  • Change security settings
  • Completely manage your network access
  • Couple with bluetooth devices
  • Know what apps you are using
  • Prevent your device from entering sleep mode
  • Change audio settings
  • Change system settings

All of the above can potentially be monitored and managed remotely via internet WITHOUT YOUR KNOWLEDGE OR PERMISSION!

Commissioner
Message 57 of 139
Message 57 of 139

Looks like Sony vanished. Can anyone from Sony update us on the progress on the issue of the unknown baidu folder?

Sony Xperia Support
Message 58 of 139
Message 58 of 139

This is escalated and i'm still waiting for more information on why this folder is created and what it's for. I will update you as soon as i have more information.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Sony Xperia Support
Message 59 of 139
Message 59 of 139

This folder will be removed in future software updates for the phone. Until then i can only advise that you delete it manually after a reboot if you want to remove it. It's safe to just delete it.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Message 60 of 139
Message 60 of 139

Cool Rickard.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.