account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Unable to Charge Xperia Z mobile phone

One time poster
Message 1 of 8
Message 1 of 8

Unable to Charge Xperia Z mobile phone

Hello,

I am unable to charge the my Xperia Z mobile, when mobile is ON.

But able to charge when mobile is off. any suggestions. 

Regards,

Prudhvi

7 REPLIES 7
Genius
Message 2 of 8
Message 2 of 8

Re: Unable to Charge Xperia Z mobile phone

Hi @sajanim123

Connect your device to a wall charger and then press and hold power & volume up for more than 10 seconds. Let it charge for 2 to 3 hours, even if it doesn't seem to be charging. Keep us updated please, I´m at disposal for any question

"We can have anything we want on life, if we just help others to found what they need” - Ebelsain Villegas
Emperor
Message 3 of 8
Message 3 of 8

@sajanim123

Have you tested different cables and/or chargers?

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Commissioner
Message 4 of 8
Message 4 of 8

Hi sajanim123

Welcome to the Community.

I would suggest checking to see if this is a potential hardware problem. To use Xperia diagnostics:

From your Home screen, tap the Application screen icon. Find and tap Settings > About phone > Diagnostics.

Or install the app through the Play Store

Tap Test device.

Select the Charging

Follow the on-screen instructions.

If it fails test have a chat with your contact your Local support team as it will need to be serviced.

If it passes the test on that here's how to run the repair on PC Companion:

1. Install and open PC Companion then select Support Zone.
  2. Phone Software Update.
  3. Start.
  4. Repair Phone
  5. Continue
  6. Accept data removal
  7. Next
  8. Wait for prepare
  9. Select Phone
  10. Follow the connection steps

And Bridge for Mac:

1. Launch Bridge for MAC without the handset connected.
  2. On the Main Window select "Xperia > Repair Xperia Device".
  3. Ensure the phone is charged and select "Ok" in the following window.
  4. Select Continue on the following page.
  5. Wait until the initialising step is finished the continue as below.

6 . Select your model of phone from the list that appears

7. Follow the connection steps that appear, ensuring that you are holding the relevant button down before during and after the connection phase until the update/repair begins.

Rookie
Message 5 of 8
Message 5 of 8

I have a similar problem on my Xperia Z2. I can't charge it anymore, micro usb or magnetic cable/dock.

2 days ago I bought a magnetic charger (made in china) and on the second use the phone instantly died, flashing a red led, with 80% battery. The power on button didn't work. I'd press the reset button and after that, I connected the phone to the computer via micro usb. In that moment the phone turned on.

After some hours, at home, I put my Xperia in the charging dock and noticed the led flashed orange and the sound of charging went on/off, and the little flash icon next to the battery icon appeared and disappeared. So I couldn't charge via magnetic.

I tried charging via micro usb but the screen kept on even if i pressed the power button to close it.

The only solution was to turn the phone off and charge it via micro usb. I've let it reach 85 % then I've turned it on and backed up my data and did a factory reset. After factory reset using PC Companion I tried to do a repair but it wouldn't continue past those volume down power off (?) instructions.

After all this, I can't even charge it via micro usb anymore. When I plug it in the computer or wall socket the charging led doesn't light up, but the device is recognized by the computer.

I think that magnetic cable started all this, but how can I fix it? The warranty expired and I can't send it back ;(

Commissioner
Message 6 of 8
Message 6 of 8

Hi oana_oky

Welcome to the community.

A software repair as discussed above is probably the best course of action. Give these troubleshooting steps for PC Companion a try. Firstly uninstall it, then make sure Java on your computer is up to date with the latest version. Then as you reinstall PC Companion temporarily deactivate any antivirus and firewall software as those can sometimes interfere with the installation process. Or maybe try using a different PC. 

Otherwise the only thing you can do is contact your local support channel as it will be a hardware issue.

Highlighted
Genius
Message 7 of 8
Message 7 of 8

Hi @oana_oky

Please, can you tell us if your Magnetic charging dock is an original Sony model DK36 or if it´s a compatible one from other manufacturer?

"We can have anything we want on life, if we just help others to found what they need” - Ebelsain Villegas
Rookie
Message 8 of 8
Message 8 of 8

Hi @xavinux. Yes, the charging dock is an original from Sony.