account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Super Fast Battery Drain After Lollipop

Regular
Message 101 of 286
Message 101 of 286

Re: Xperia Z Battery Drain

It's me again... 

Something weird happened overnight.  Like I previously stated, after updating via PCC, battery performance somewhat improved but not as good as it was on Kitkat.  However last night, apparently my phone shut down around 12am with the battery still somewhere around 15%.   When I plugged it in to charge it's back to charging for a projected SIX HOURS to get a full charge.  Right now I'm at around 50% after charging for 3 hours.  

So now it's back to slow charging/fast draining.  Really frustrating.

One time poster
Message 102 of 286
Message 102 of 286

Re: Super Fast Battery Drain After Lollipop

There is a SERIOUS FLAW IN 5.0.2 affecting a lot of devices ,my Xperia Z also, all applications that use mobile data connection when wi-fi not available will continue to keep the “Cellular radio signal” process running . each app shown in the battery settings will have a long time of "Cellular radio signal" usage , each of the application will add multiple instances of the process in the task manager , overheating the phone , draining the battery . I’m not sure if closing the application from task manager stops the drainage , but the “Airplane Mode” fixes temporary the problem. Also the stamina mode sometimes bugs the wi-fi when u put off the display while u still have active downloads,

Apprentice
Message 103 of 286
Message 103 of 286

I'm now on my third version of lollipop, this one is a custom rom based on 5.1.1. And the problem seems to still exist, and most certainly everything was wiped and it was a clean install. Phone sometimes heats up really bad, feels like it's on full throttle and then some, last time it was that hot was when i played Real Racing 3 for an hour or so. But I will see a couple of days if it "settles", like someone said, i just wanna know how does my normal web browser need to use mobile radio 2 hrs in the background to settle itself.... Winking Face And this rom is lighter, does not have bloatware, no sony software or all the google stuff, only play services/store. Otherwise i really like to use lollipop, shame that i just am scared to use it as it is, feels like i have to leave the phone untouched and every app killed so it would be cool and not drain the battery empty, maybe even on airplane mode, well maybe i can frame it and put in my bookshelf. Winking Face 

Maybe good news is that overnight on airplane mode, the phone did not lose even one percent battery, so perhaps only the biggest culprit is left, the mobile radio one.

Edit: The battery is the only one that really hasn't improved the way everything else has developed, so it's really bad if it is any worse than already is with todays smartphones.

Learner
Message 104 of 286
Message 104 of 286

Guys after repairing through PC companion my phone seems to work fine. I don't have battery drain problem anymore....
Regular
Message 105 of 286
Message 105 of 286

Hello Ending,

I agree with you based on what I see that whatever it is that is draining battery is wifi related.  In my previous post my phone had shutdown overnight.  When I turned it on the following morning it kept shutting down due to high battery temperature.  After a few reboots it stopped doing that but I noticed battery drain was still high.

I remembered the previous night my phone had accidentally connected to a neighbor's open "guest" wifi access point, though it requires a login ID and password.  Since I didn't have one I just ignored it and manually connected to my own access point later that night.  Thinking that may have something to do with it since it was the only new thing I did before it started acting up again, I removed my neighbor's wifi access point from the list of devices my phone remembered.  As soon as I did that the battery drain returned to the new (Lollipop) normal of about 1.5 days on Stamina mode (still not as good as it was on Kitkat which went for over 2 days if I recall right).

Anyway right now I'm just glad I found the culprit.  For now I will probably keep my phone wifi off whenever I go out of the house.

One time poster
Message 106 of 286
Message 106 of 286

Super fast battery drain after lollipop update on xperia zr.. Even checked on the ultra stamina mode. No difference.. Sony please fix this
Talent
Message 107 of 286
Message 107 of 286

just wait for couple of days. your phone will get the issue again.

all the best.

Rookie
Message 108 of 286
Message 108 of 286

I just checked my WiFi settings and there was nothing to tweek anymore.  My settings were as I had them prior to the upgrade, WiFI Scanning off, WiFi on during sleep only when plugged in, etc.

Yesterday I was going through settings with the phone plugged in, noticed it was draining while pluged in, about 2%.  This really frustrates me the phone can drain while plugged in.  After some time the phone looks like it might be getting back to normal.  Last night I turned off Wifi, charged overnight, this morning I turned the phone off, changed batteries to one the vendor gave me with the phone, a 3rd party spare, and let it top off with chage during my morning routine.  Turned the phone on, switched it to Ultra Stamina Mode and unplugged it showing 100%.  Got to the office, about an hour later and switched Ultra Stamina Mode off, the phone rebooted... At lunch I had 88% remaining and it has stayed there for 2 hours now.  Seems to be getting better after a few reboots.

One thing I always do with my phones when changing batteries.  Unplug, take the battery out, press power button and hold for 5-8 seconds, put battery back in and plug in.  Not sure if this helped.  The Ultra Stamina Mode does not seem to save too much and reboots the phone when turned off, not convienent.  I really hope I am back to my 2.5-3 days battery life as this is really frustrating.

One time poster
Message 109 of 286
Message 109 of 286

Faster battery drain in Lollipop

I have updated my xperia z to latest lollipop and now having problem with battery back up its drains faster then before.
Any suggesn

Forum Legend
Message 110 of 286
Message 110 of 286

Re: battery drain faster after updated to lolipop :(

Hi,

When did you update your phone? Have you checked via Settings > Power management > Battery usage, to see what drains a lot of battery on your phone? Check this list when you have around 10% left on the battery.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.