account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Super Fast Battery Drain After Lollipop

One time poster
Message 271 of 286
Message 271 of 286

Re: Super Fast Battery Drain After Lollipop

Battery draining very fast how i supposed to do...
Learner
Message 272 of 286
Message 272 of 286

same problems on my Z1 + Z

Very Battery Drain and CPU HOT Please Please Update ;(

Regular
Message 273 of 286
Message 273 of 286

I'd like to add some observations regarding fast battery drain on my Xperia ZR which might be useful to others.

After months of observation (have been having this problem since around March 2016), it seems to me that there are apps that simply don't work properly with ZR+Lollipop.

For the past few months my battery has either been draining too fast, charging too slow, or been reporting completely wrong charge levels.  I've tried fixing it through a combination of reinstalling Android (via PC Companion), buying a new battery, as well as removing the battery for 5 minutes supposedly to fix the wrong battery level reporting.

From what I can see, some apps get the phone stuck in the "Awake" state even if the phone is idle and screen is off (I use the Power management -> Battery usage -> History details to check).  I notice this because after "fixing" my phone and having my battery behave and discharge normally, I noticed that there were times it suddenly discharing fast when I ran an app.  I have identified two apps so far:

1. Waze -- I actually discovered the "fix" by accident.  I use Waze a lot and one time it just started crashing or the screen wouldn't show right.  I removed the app and reinstalled it and immediately my battery issues went away.  So far so good.  Using Waze doesn't seem to keep the phone stuck in "Awake" anymore.
  2. Yahoo Mail -- again, my "fixed" phone started acting up again when I launched Yahoo mail and even when my phone was idle and screen was off, my phone was in "Awake" state and draining the battery fast.  I rebooted the phone but it continued to be in the "Awake" state.  After waiting for half a day to see if the "Awake" state would go (it didn't), I removed Yahoo Mail and the "Awake" state went away, and battery drain normalized.  I haven't tried reinstalling Yahoo Mail though, the way I did with Waze.  I'll let you know what happens.

And so now my modus operandi is to actively monitor my phone by always looking at the "Awake" state in the battery history info screen.  Whenever I run an app then let the phone rest I look at that info again to see if that app got my phone stuck in the "Awake" state.   Oh, and the phone gets fairly warm whenever it gets stuck in this state even if I'm not actively using it, so that's how I can tell sometimes if something's wrong.

A question to Sony tech support -- I heard that the best way to find out which apps keep the phone in the "Awake" state is to use any of the "Wakelock" monitoring apps.  Unfortunately they require the phone to be rooted, which I don't want to be bothered to do.  Is there any app from Sony which can do it without rooting the phone?

Regular
Message 274 of 286
Message 274 of 286

Just a follow-up on this -- it seemed to have worked to remove Yahoo Mail then installing it again.  Battery drain was normal even after using Yahoo Mail again.  So far then, I've found that Waze and Yahoo Mail were causing battery drain, and removing each app and reinstalling them seem to have worked for me.

Message 275 of 286
Message 275 of 286

@SonyXperia

@sonymobile

still xperia team blind as bat and won't fix there own customers !!!! you take money for every xperia z phone and  everyone expect for good support and smoth and non bug frimware update . sony come on ! fix xperia z lollibug (lollipop)issues 

Inhabitant
Message 276 of 286
Message 276 of 286

I don't think they will release any more updates for this phone.

If you have constant issues it's best to save yourself some headaches and just downgrade your software to last version that worked correctly on your phone (4.4.4 for me).

Highlighted
Visitor
Message 277 of 286
Message 277 of 286

Two months after I did the update (what a foolish mistake), degrading ever since, now my battery behaves like it's physically damaged. Today the phone turned off in under 15 minutes after being charged all night.

This is incredible.

Do you guys at Sony really think I will rush to buy myself another xperia to be killed by another update in a year?

I've been using Ericsson, later Sony Ericsson, later Sony phones for like two decades and every next one was getting worse in terms of the software and support. 

Learner
Message 278 of 286
Message 278 of 286

Am passing through the same situation here, I upgraded to 5.1.1 yesterday morning and since then my phone became too hot and my battery started running down in seconds.
Learner
Message 279 of 286
Message 279 of 286

It's a very terrible situation, I don't think I can manage it anymore honestly.
Visitor
Message 280 of 286
Message 280 of 286

Re: About lolipop update

not really my batrie still drain fast in 08/2016 i lose 10% every 30 minutes when i use wifi connection ...how i can back to jelly bean ?