account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Sony Xperia Z, camera won't Focus

Visitor
Message 1 of 35
Message 1 of 35

Sony Xperia Z, camera won't Focus

Hi, just over a month ago i noticed that the Camera on my Xperia Z started taking out of focus photos. I changed the camera settings and nothing seemed to work. Whilst in superior auto, the camera would think it was taking an image in Macro mode only and would not autofocus at all. I rang Sony and they told me to do a software reset, which didnt help. I then took it back to JB HiFi. They sent it away to get fixed under warrenty to Telstra, 1 week later my phone arrived back in the exact same condition i sent (in other words NOT FIXED), i took it back in and JB HiFi sent it away again. Its now been over two weeks and i still havnt heard about the repairs. I am getting pretty fed up. Hoping it will be fixed soon.

Has anyone else had this issue, and was it resolved?? 

34 REPLIES 34
One time poster
Message 2 of 35
Message 2 of 35

Re: Sony Xperia Z, camera won't Focus

I'm having the excat same problem and It' s like the camera is stuck at a sertain focus point and there's nothing I can do to change it. Please try to fix this Slightly smiling Face

One time poster
Message 3 of 35
Message 3 of 35

Hi, I have the same issue. The camera seems to be stuck on a certain focal length. I have tried all the different focusing options in the menu options, no luck. I remember whentrying to take photos it would vibrate and you culd hear something moving when trying to focus. no more.

One time poster
Message 4 of 35
Message 4 of 35

It does focus, But First Open The Camera >> Select Normal >> Go To Setting >> Make The Smile Shutter Stop
>> Go To Focus Mode....

Then Here... Select Any Mode That You Like!!

It's So Easy

One time poster
Message 5 of 35
Message 5 of 35

Can someone please help out here. My Xperia Z is exactlly the same as this. Looking on Google it appears to be a common problem. I have reinstalled the firmware twice now just to be sure. The Vodafone tech team couldnt work it out either.

Is this a software issue or hardware? I have downloaded an alternative camera from the app store, this too does not focus

One time poster
Message 6 of 35
Message 6 of 35

I too am facing a similar problem. The settings seem to have shifted to Macro focus mode and refuses to correct it's back focus. The vendor seems helpless and insist that we write to Sony about this. Not acceptable at all! Thinking of reporting the matter to a consumer forum if it doesn't get attended to soon!
Message 7 of 35
Message 7 of 35

Change the settings from face detection and pick auto focus and try touch focus aswell in manual.. This will surely solve your issue I'm pretty sure
One time poster
Message 8 of 35
Message 8 of 35

I too have the same problem and I have tried everything but without any luck! Please resolve this issue and if it is a hardware problem then please tell us!
Commissioner
Message 9 of 35
Message 9 of 35

If all of you have done didn't work, it must be the hardware problem. Take it to the sony service and change a new one.

Emperor
Message 10 of 35
Message 10 of 35

This do seem like a hardware issue, I've seen this with other users and it was a scratched lens 

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)