account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Sony Xperia Z Memory Error - Memory write protected

Highlighted
Apprentice
Message 1 of 11
Message 1 of 11

Sony Xperia Z Memory Error - Memory write protected

I have owned the Xperia Z since it launched and I have been using a san disk 64gb memory card since the release too. Up until last Sunday (March 23rd, 2014) I had been using the phone and memory card perfectly fine with no problems.

On Sunday I was in the middle of recording a video and then the phone popped up with a message saying "Memory Error - Memory write protected. Could not edit files". This has never happened before and since Sunday I have been trying everything to resolve this issue but nothing has worked.

I can use the camera with the internal memory but not the memory card. Google Play no longer recognises the memory card. My Album app can still see the card and allows me into the "My DS card" album. File commander can see the memory card and everything on it.

It seems that my memory card is srill working and beeing recognised, but I am no longer able to write to it.

Please help.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Message 2 of 11

Re: Sony Xperia Z Memory Error - Memory write protected

See this link,maybe it helps.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Apprentice
Message 3 of 11
Message 3 of 11

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately that didn't work. When I put it in my adapter it opens on my computer but I am still unable to write to it. I was also unable to format it this way either.

Message 4 of 11
Message 4 of 11

If you connect to PC via an adapter,try a low level format.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Apprentice
Message 5 of 11
Message 5 of 11

That didn't work either Crying Face

Message 6 of 11
Message 6 of 11

Visit a sony service to have the phone and the card checked:

http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/support/contact-us/

Apprentice
Message 7 of 11
Message 7 of 11

i feared it would end up going this way. Thanks for your help, I'll let you know how it goes.

Message 8 of 11
Message 8 of 11

Ok,keep us updated.

Apprentice
Message 9 of 11
Message 9 of 11

As part of the communication I had with customer services I received the following guidance:

"We are sorry to hear of the issues you are experiencing with your Sony Xperia Z and using the 64GB Micro Sd card in the device.

Would you be able to confirm if the Micro SD card was formatted before used in the handset at all? 

If not please follow the steps below to try this:

1) Plug the Micro SD card into a PC (may need a adapter)
2) Wait for the device to show under "My Computer"
3) Right click the device and press "Preferences"
4) Now press the "Formatting" tab and format to FAT.32

This will wipe the data on the Micro SD card when you do this so be sure the device's data has been backed up.

We would advise putting the information back onto the Micro SD card once it has beeen formated and put back into the device to see if the issues have been resolved.

If the issues are still present we would advise that you try to perform a repair of the software using PC Companion. If the issue is related to a problem with your software this will be repaired and your handset will work as intended. To do this, you will need to install PC Companion from the Sony Xperia website. Please follow the steps below to do this:

1. Go to www[dot]sonymobile[dot]com

2. Select Support
3. Choose your handset from the drop down list
4. Select "View All Software Updates"
5. Download for PC
6. Check the requirements and then "Download PC Companion"

To then perform a repair on your handsets software, please follow the steps below:

1. Open PC Companion
2. Start 'Support Zone'
3. Select Phone Software Updates 
4. At this point a pop up will appear on screen asking you to connect your handset while powered on, as the software repair needs the handset to be switched off please ignore these connection instructions and click on the blue link which states "Repair Phone”
5. Some on screen steps will now appear for you to follow. Please also connect the handset when you are prompted to do so.
6. When you are asked to connect the handset (still with the phone powered off) please press and hold the key stated on screen for 30 seconds before connecting the handset and keep it held down as you connect
7. The repair process should now begin.

Please ensure your handset is not connected to your PC when performing the above as you will be instructed to connect your handset once you have followed the above steps. Your handset must also remain powered off at all times.

Please note it may be the case that user data is lost during this upgrade. We therefore recommend backing up any data to your SIM card, Memory Stick, or PC before upgrading.

Please be aware that if an update to a later version of Android has become available for your Sony Ericsson Xperia handset the new version may be installed. If this is the case you may notice some differences in the functionality of your handset when updating. All information regarding these changes can be viewed on the following link. We would recommend reading through this before updating.

www[dot]sonymobile[dot]com/software 

We hope this helps you."

Unfortunately this didn't resolve my problem and they have since concluded that the fault must be with the memory card as my phone is funcitioning correctly.They have now advised me to contact SanDisk for a warranty repair/replacement.

Hopefully the above guidance will work for some of you, but I am now going to contact SanDisk to see what they can do for me.

One time poster
Message 10 of 11
Message 10 of 11

I have this issue now with sony xperia M dual, i guess the problem is sd card was damaged