account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Want to know more about Xperia 5? To read more about it go here.
If you can't find the answer to your question there please post it here and let the community help you.

Sony Xperia Z - Dead, won't turn on, won't charge, PC doesn't recognise

One time poster
Message 281 of 305
Message 281 of 305

Re: Sony Xperia Z - Dead, won't turn on, won't charge, PC doesn't recognise

Okay...I have no clue how that even happened,but I will try to explain my situation and how I fixed it,so...my phone was charging via portable battery ,had about 45% battery when  I last checked,then after I left it for like 5-10 mins and decided to pick up my phone again,it was just dead,even my protable battery was refusing to boot up,and it was strange since the portable battery had over 75% battery in it,and has twice the capacity of my phone(the original very first Xperia Z) ,yet it showed no signs of life,didn't want to even turn itself for a sec to display how much battery there is in it,neither did the phone,just the red light,trying to power button + volume up,did NOTHING,then like after 7-8 hours,for some reason,my phone was completely out cold,after it refused to boot via PC,then I got back home,plugged my portable battery in the wall outlet and phone in my personal PC which has the companion thingy,it did nothing,but my portable battery then suddenly came to life,I decided to try the same with the phone after 1 hour of reading stuff online,trying to figure a way to bring it to life,after charging it then via wall outlet for 10-15 mins,I just unplugged it,the red light disappeared,then I held down do power button and my phone just vibrated an turned on,it had like 2% battery...while it had over 50% like 8-9 hours ago and just a red light flashing...really weird idk what caused that or what fixed it,I just know that probably the wall outlet led it back to life,lmao

One time poster
Message 282 of 305
Message 282 of 305

OKay, so I had the same problems. I let my phone go all the way to 0%. Boom, its dead and i assume that i could just charge it like any other time. My phone's LED light blinks red for 1 second when i put the charger into the port. I look at the screen and the phone is  not charging. I tried using the USB cable for my cheap smartphone and it charges that phone very slowly. I also tried rebooting my phone with the power button and volume bottom, but it just literally uses up the rest of the battery. So i decided to buy a new and cheap USB cable from Amazon and yo, it literally revived my phone. It went from 1% to 11%. Hopefully it works for you.

One time poster
Message 283 of 305
Message 283 of 305

This is the advice that recovered my experia z phone! 

I took out the sd card and the phone was able to restart..  It appeared to be in the middle of an upgrade. 

I had tried several of the other advised courses of action before this so try all the options.

Cheers

One time poster
Message 284 of 305
Message 284 of 305

Batteries used in mobile phones are dangerous if not treated well, they can burst into flames. The electronics in the phone which deals with charging is programmed with the capacity of the battery and all is well ensuring no overcharge. Over a period of time the capacity will reduce and the situation of an apparently charged battery suddenly causing the phone to switch off can occur. This is less likely to be a problem if the battery is regularly run down before charging, when any reduction in capacity is adjusted for in the charging circuit, although occasional boosts of a partly charged battery is ok. Very occasionally a battery losing it's charge can appear to the charging control circuit to be faulty and this gives the flashing of the red light as the battery is given very low pulses of charge which over several hours can restore enough charge without any danger of the battery catching fire. The phone can then be switched on to full charging operation by holding the red switch button next to the SIM card with the end of a ball-point pen for ten seconds and then allowing the charge to complete showing the battery symbol before switching on the phone for use.

I hope this helps, I have had years of experience with laptops which use the same battery technology. To recap, full charging cycles are best, occasional boosts are ok, if red charging light flashes wait several hours and press red button for 10 seconds and allow to charge.

One time poster
Message 285 of 305
Message 285 of 305

My Sony Xperia z3,flashes Sony logo, red charging indicator light on. But doesn't turn on or charge. What should I do?

One time poster
Message 286 of 305
Message 286 of 305

we all here complaining and giving tips when surely sony should be replacing these units. clearly the issues relate to poor manufacturing. if your not rich and rely on your phone you wont want to send it off for two plus weeks for them to quote you repair costs. and plenty 3rd party places will fix in shorter time for cheap (which voids warrenty). Sony need to step up, admit the fault and rectify the situation rather than us consumers messing around with volume up buttons etc to get a bit of life out of faulty manufacturing ! 

Message 287 of 305
Message 287 of 305

i got the same problem, the phone shut down by itself after i make a call. and i tried everything that is possible to boot up the phone but no luck, even xperia companion cannot recognize the phone. tried everything that was suggested here but no luck. 

Message 288 of 305
Message 288 of 305

very disappointed sony

One time poster
Message 289 of 305
Message 289 of 305

I had the same problem with my Xperia Z (yesterday!) - used phone until battery exhausted (I was using Google directions, fortunately I found where I needed to go, and part way home before the battery gave up). 

When I plugged in the charger, nothing. Left it on all night, nothing. When I pressed various buttons, I got the 3 red flashes, but essentially nothing. Plugged it into the PC, and ADB and it gave no devices connected. 

Got to reading these forums. Got the impression that Sony repair centres could fix the thing in minutes, so it couldn't be much of a repair. 

I had to replace the screen a while ago, so the back of mine is glued on with cheap glue I got from eBay. This glue is not a patch on the glue that Sony originally use, so I could get the back off quite easily. 

I disconnected the battery, not for long, probably only about 30 seconds max. Connected the battery, plugged the charger in and the red charging light came on. I left it a while until the white charging light came on, then started the phone with no problems at all. 

If it is something as simple as unplugging the battery and connecting it back up again, it does explain why it is such a quick Sony Centre repair!. A word of warning, if you've never had the back of your phone off, it will void any warrenty, it is a **bleep** of a job getting the back off, Sony glue is really strong, the glue will need replacing and it probably won't be waterproof afterwards. 

One time poster
Message 290 of 305
Message 290 of 305

Re: Sony Xperia Z - Dead, won't turn on, won't charge, PC doesn't recognise, led doesnt light

This same thing happened to me today, i tried everything. untill i was feed up. I slightly hit/fliped the phone against my knee a few times. Seconds later it works