account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Phone not detecting micro SD card anymore...

One time poster
Message 1 of 64
Message 1 of 64

Phone not detecting micro SD card anymore...

Hello,

I bought my Xperia Z a while ago, and with it, a micro SD card. I've been using the phone (with the sd card inserted) without any problems. I've stored my pictures, music, files, etc. in there and always worked fine.

Yesterday, I got a notification on my phone about a new software update. Once I got home, I had the phone updating only to discover that after it finished, my sd card is no longer detected...

Any help would be appreciated please.

Kind regards,

Fábio Constantino

63 REPLIES 63
Genius
Message 2 of 64
Message 2 of 64

Re: Phone not detecting micro SD card anymore...

Sorry to hear that! Where is the SD card not being recognised within the handset? If you connect your handset to a PC with the SD card inserted, does the PC detect the SD card?

-

What do you think about this forum? Let us know by doing this short survey

One time poster
Message 3 of 64
Message 3 of 64

Hello, thank you for the reply.

The SD card is not being recognised on the handset and if I connect the handset to the PC, the PC does not detect the SD card either.

Genius
Message 4 of 64
Message 4 of 64

It sounds like the SD card may have malfunctioned. Is there any other handset you can try the SD card in to see if that can detect it?

What do you think about this forum? Let us know by doing this short survey

One time poster
Message 5 of 64
Message 5 of 64

It does seem that when also directly inserting the sd card into the PC, it cannot detect it.

So, this pretty much means that the latest update ruined my SD card? Didn't even figure this as possible..

Genius
Message 6 of 64
Message 6 of 64

I couldn't confirm that it was caused by the update exactly as it could have been a coincidence (this is not something which can usually occur with an update) but it does sound like the SD has malfunctioned. It may be worth contacting the SD card manufacturer.

One time poster
Message 7 of 64
Message 7 of 64

Im sorry had to chuckle at your comment to this forum user about asking him to contact the sd card manufacturer,  here your go coredumped https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=xperia+z+fried+sd+card&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-GB:IE-Add...

sony know, they just won't admit it.

take notice of all the comments about sd cards fried by xperia i've lost 7 too it.

Highlighted
One time poster
Message 8 of 64
Message 8 of 64

Thank you for this information stringer97.

Makes me sad to know that I've lost all my data along with my SD card, but at least I now know my next phone isn't going to be a Sony for sure...

Seems that sony support people didn't even care to tell me this themselves, adding insult to injury.

One time poster
Message 9 of 64
Message 9 of 64

I got the same fault, lost ~32GB of data... pictures and music  Slightly frowning Face

Learner
Message 10 of 64
Message 10 of 64

The same thing happen to me too.  A message of an sd card have unmounted.  Only to find the card is now fried.  it does not work on the phone and PC.  This **bleep**...