account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Now lets be clear about the Anti-Shatter film!

SOLVED
Sony Xperia Support
Message 11 of 54
Message 11 of 54

Re: Now lets be clear about the Anti-Shatter film!

It's not recommended that you remove the anti-shatter film (ASF).

The purpose of the ASF is to make the display withstand being dropped from greater heights.

The ASF has a positive effect on the sensitivity and accuracy of the touch screen.

In the unlikely event of the glass cracking, the ASF can protect against cuts.

To protect the phone from scratches it's recommended that you put a standard display protector on top of the ASF.

Removing the ASF will void the warranty for the phones display.

It's not possible to replace only the ASF, the entire display needs to be replaced by a service location. You can therefor not buy a new ASF.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

View solution in original post

Regular
Message 12 of 54
Message 12 of 54

Are you telling me that the XZ-display  takes being dropped from greater heights?

I dropped mine to sand from a height of 30cm and it broke. Its a fragile piece of work you have done there.

Commissioner
Message 13 of 54
Message 13 of 54

Glass is still glass and it's breakable. http://www.precisionglass.com/tech/tgb.pdf. The different between tempered glass and ordinary glass is it's just a few times stronger but when hit at it's weakest point (normally around edge of the corners) it will shattered into tiny pieces.

If you want a really unbreakable one, sapphire screen is what you want on your phone. Check this out: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13970_7-57571618-78/this-sapphire-smartphone-screen-is-strong-strong-st.... It's almost as hard as diamond and is scratch proof too. However, you need to pay a huge price for it to cover the ever growing screen size.

Visitor
Message 14 of 54
Message 14 of 54

I dropped my XZ from about 2 feet height on a Granite floor, the glass at the back got cracked.

What happened to the high claims of Shatter proof sheet on Tempered glass? It did not survive a 2 feet drop!!!

I went to the local service center to ask for repairs. I was informed that being a Waterproof handset, specific parts on XZ cannot be replaced and was asked to pay INR 20,000 after which they'll provide a replacement handset. (Note I bought the phone for INR 39,500).

Now my question is, Sony never documented in the Warranty information that physical damage to the Glass on the back or front would require the whole unit to be replaced? Well I'm fine if you replace the whole unit, but that's just a 45 days old phone and you want me to pay 50% of the cost price for a broken back panel?

Highly Dissappointed!!

Commissioner
Message 15 of 54
Message 15 of 54

You can try this in the future: http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/10/amzer-shatterproof-iphone-film-hands-on/. Just hope they will also produce a range for Sony phones.

Genius
Message 16 of 54
Message 16 of 54

the front and back can be replaced - not as easy as a normal phone but it can be done

the complete front panel and rear panel can be bought for  approx 170 euro 70 euro respectively

http://www.smartkeitai.com/sony-xperia-z-reverse-teardown-video/

http://rounded.com/

I suspect that Sony buy the complete front panel from supplier with the ASF already fitted as a complete unit

Highlighted
Visitor
Message 17 of 54
Message 17 of 54

http://www.ebay.in/itm/271201016278?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Back Panel is available online for GBP 26.49 (see link) and the video is a good tutorial. However, am not a technical person and Sony Service denied replacing the panel for me if I bought it from third party. So, am still at the behest of Sony India for helping me out with repairs. All they want is INR 20,000 for a replacement. I surely want a Support staff to clarify paying 50% of cost price for a cracked back panel.

Genius
Message 18 of 54
Message 18 of 54

that ebay item is a little lacking in detail - from the picture it doesn't look like it's even glass

maybe if the crack on your phone isn't too bad you could fit a screen protector and just forget about it - depends on the possibility of it completely breaking down

Visitor
Message 19 of 54
Message 19 of 54

A crack means the IP57 goes down the trash can Slightly frowning Face

And mine is not just a crack, its broken... the only thing holding the pieces together is the Shatter proof sheet Neutral Face

XZ.png

Commissioner
Message 20 of 54
Message 20 of 54

IP57 is certification for dust and water resistance. You broke the glass panel but the ASF is still holding the pieces together. So everything that's suppose to work as its meant to is working.