account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Now lets be clear about the Anti-Shatter film!

SOLVED
Highlighted
One time poster
Message 1 of 54
Message 1 of 54

Now lets be clear about the Anti-Shatter film!

My brand new Xperia Z is 60 days old, and it already has some scratches. It sounds impossible, because I use a decent flipcover!

We all know the anti shatter film is a scratch magnet, but is there a way we could replace it? And how would it be if Sony could sell them?

So let me make a small list.

• Do I lose my warranty by removing the Anti-Shatter film?
  • Is it possible to let my Anti-Shatter film replaced by Sony?
  • Is Sony going to sell these things in the future?

By awnsering this, I think alot of people don't have to make a thread anymore.

Thank you,

Remy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Sony Xperia Support
Message 11 of 54
Message 11 of 54

Re: Now lets be clear about the Anti-Shatter film!

It's not recommended that you remove the anti-shatter film (ASF).

The purpose of the ASF is to make the display withstand being dropped from greater heights.

The ASF has a positive effect on the sensitivity and accuracy of the touch screen.

In the unlikely event of the glass cracking, the ASF can protect against cuts.

To protect the phone from scratches it's recommended that you put a standard display protector on top of the ASF.

Removing the ASF will void the warranty for the phones display.

It's not possible to replace only the ASF, the entire display needs to be replaced by a service location. You can therefor not buy a new ASF.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

53 REPLIES 53
One time poster
Message 2 of 54
Message 2 of 54

WP_000011.jpgThe ASF is crap, the dust seems to love the ASF. I scratched mine after i put it in a sports armband while running

Message was edited by: tsk4600

Veteran
Message 3 of 54
Message 3 of 54

I think Sony should make the decision to start selling this "shatter proof" films, I confirm it is a scratch magnet even if you are really careful with it :/
Sony should consider other material for "shatter proof" in new, upcoming Xperias.
They should use more scratch resistant film for sure, I would add one point:

• oleophobic features.

Can Sony sell films (for both sides of Xperia Z) that would make use of all of these features at the same time?

- shatter / scratch and oleophobic ???

Would be great.
    Thank you. 

Veteran
Message 4 of 54
Message 4 of 54

One more thing,
Now I know to buy additional polycarbonate film on my Z. If it will scratch, I will easily replace it with another one Slightly smiling Face

I regret Sony didn't inform users that this original film used in Xperia Z is SO scratch magnet.
Definately, they should inform us at least...

Genius
Message 5 of 54
Message 5 of 54

like I said on another thread - the possible reason they don't sell it to customers to replace is because it's a health and safety feature, in saying that S3/4 don't have this film so I'm not sure why Somy felt it necessary - other glass brands probably the same

Best solution for now it to fit your own screen protection over the top

One time poster
Message 6 of 54
Message 6 of 54

If I put another screenprotector on top, does that removes the scratches on my screen? No!

And if they don't want to sell it, why aren't they clear about replacing the ASF themselfs? Like in a repair center!

I really want to get rid of those scratches... I buyed an very expensive phone, including an pretty expensive flip cover, so I want Sony to get a solution for this problem.

Genius
Message 7 of 54
Message 7 of 54

I agree, if they won't supply the ASF then they should offer a service to replace

I suspect that after a while you will be able to purchase from ebay or shop - I hope so

One time poster
Message 8 of 54
Message 8 of 54

Well yea, I hope so aswell.

You already have ASF: http://www.spigen.com/sony-xperia-z-screen-protector-glas-t-premium-tempered-glass.html

Very good quality, but still, I would like to buy an official ASF.

Hope Sony comes with a solution. Is there any change that they give an awsner in this topic?

Demigod
Message 9 of 54
Message 9 of 54

The first thing the staff at their service centre checks when you send a phone for service, is whether the stock ASF is still there. And this applies to older models since the logo is not printed on it. And if you have older Xperia model, you'll know that detecting that ASF layer is quite difficult since it's cut almost perfectly to the screen dimension.

This is just my assumtion, but having the logo on the ASF will quickly help them identify if stock ASF is still there. Or if it has been removed.

having Sony selling stock ASF will be dificult, because this is intially factory installed. And to some degree, it is even glued to the screen. but they could sell screen protecter with he logo on it though. but then again, only those who removed the ASF would buy it. and with that small number of potential buyer, it does not make business sense to manufacture and sell it.

One time poster
Message 10 of 54
Message 10 of 54

yeah me too, i got scract on my screen protector...

but i know this will be happen... because i have already watch video on youtube, "sony xperia z scract test" with knife and cutter... his told us about sony pre another screen protector on the box,, but sony logo already printed on default screen protector,,, its suck if u know this, because the another reason i buy sony, its because "sony" logo,

and for new user, i told you, just add another screen protector for your sony, "IF" u love "sony" logo on default screen protector...

i hope sony sell this things... because i love sony it not just thier product, but "sony logo" too...:smileyinfo: