account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

LTE network issue

Message 1 of 12
Message 1 of 12

LTE network issue

My service provider is with Fido and their LTE network supports band 4(2100MHz) and band 7(2600MHz). I have a LTE sim card activated and 3G/HSPA works fine on it except LTE. I've checked cellular towers within my area and all the towers have these 2 frequencies of band 4 and 7. My phone is Xperia Z C6603 and it has LTE bands of LTE_BC1, LTE_BC3, LTE_BC5, LTE_BC7, LTE_BC8, LTE_BC20.

Now the problem is when I try to select any LTE network modes from entering *#*#4636#*#*, I'll automatically lose reception with the red X symbol and no data. Originally I thought I had to switch radio bands because Euro band is 2600MHz but I just realized that I got this phone from sister who got it from Hong Kong. 

Could this be a region locked issue? Where Sony eliminated unnecessary bands that Hong Kong wouldn't use because of different network? So would this also mean that my phone doesn't actually have LTE band 4 and 7 so I'll have to enable them somehow? Would I be able to reset it to default radio band? Or what is the default? 

This LTE coverage website: http://developer.sonymobile.com/2013/01/24/lte-coverage-for-xperia-smartphones/  

is outdated from January 24, 2013. Canada has Xperia Z now so how would I go about in changing to Canada region? And would this help me get LTE?

edit1: so apparently each frequency NEEDS a physical, corresponding antenna to work. I'm assuming Sony wanted to save on costs so Hong Kong Xperia Z phones could be missing few antennas that would've worked with band 4 and 7 frequencies? Is there a way to find out about this?

11 REPLIES 11
Emperor
Message 2 of 12
Message 2 of 12

Re: LTE network issue

The Xperia Z3 6603 its compatible with

LTE 700/800/850/900/1700/1800/1900/2100/2600
(Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 13, 17, 20) - D6603

You should check with your local carrier and see which LTE band its available in your area. 

Where did you purchased this phone? 

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Phy
Forum Legend
Message 3 of 12
Message 3 of 12

Contact Sony Xperia Support

http://support.sonymobile.com/global-en/contactUs/

Perhaps you have a phone that was flashed with a different firmware.
Message 4 of 12
Message 4 of 12

My local carrier supports band 4(2100MHz) and band 7(2600MHz). I got this phone from Hong Kong

Highlighted
Message 5 of 12
Message 5 of 12

Sony Xperia Support(chat) told me to come here for developers help

Emperor
Message 6 of 12
Message 6 of 12

Although carrier networks support certain frequencies it doesn't mean that they have both bands all over, it'll be wise to contact them, also to double check if you have the correct APN settings. 

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Emperor
Message 7 of 12
Message 7 of 12

@sweetsoursauce This forum is for us, users, to help each other, if you want to contact a developer it will have to be here

developer.sonymobile.com

Message 8 of 12
Message 8 of 12

"Perhaps you have a phone that was flashed with a different firmware."

I've been only updated firmware through Sony. Do I have to downgrade to use LTE?

I have double checked and apn settings are correct. I have contacted Sony's technician and have been told that it's region locked to Hong kong therefore my phone has limited frequencies that would only work with 3G/HSPA atm. For me to unlock LTE frequencies would be on my part as the tecnician didn't know any further solutions prior to enabling LTE.

The problem is pretty clear now, it's region locked to Hong Kong so LTE frequencies on my phone has been limited/restricted and I just have to unlock it somehow. Would anyone know how to unlock more bands?

I don't really see any contacts in developer.sonymobile.com, It leads to this forum and xperia care. 

Demigod
Message 9 of 12
Message 9 of 12

Message 10 of 12
Message 10 of 12

So I just sent an email regarding my issue.

As for the remaining contact options, I have contacted the technician but she was only able to inform me of my phone being region locked to Hong Kong. The forum website is where I posted this problem. The customer support lead me to the developers page which lead me to this forum. I guess what I can do from now is wait for a reply from the email I sent just now.