account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

How to remove software update without losing data?

Highlighted
Visitor
Message 1 of 12
Message 1 of 12

How to remove software update without losing data?

I used to be very satisfied with my phone until the latest software update.

How can I remove the latest firmware without losing my data, settings, apps, etc.?

I want to only remove the firmware update.

11 REPLIES 11
Adept
Message 2 of 12
Message 2 of 12

Re: How to remove software update without losing data?

What Happened after the latest software update that made u think to roll back out?
BaD ExperienceS ArE RatheR GooD ExperienceS!!
Visitor
Message 3 of 12
Message 3 of 12

Apps that don't work anymore (such as calendar: it stopped synchronising and stopped displaying notifications), worse graphics, slower response, battery runs out quicker, ...

If I get text messages there is also no notification.

In short: worse user experience.

Visitor
Message 4 of 12
Message 4 of 12

Worse user experience:

- calendar doesn't synchronise anymore

- worse graphics

- battery runs out quicker

- no longer receiving notifications when getting text messages

- slower response

Adept
Message 5 of 12
Message 5 of 12

Repairing phone through PC Companion/SUS can remove all these issues.

http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/tools/pc-companion/

download the sony pc companion.

before proceeding the below instructions, do remember to take backup of all of ur personal data as updating/repairing will wipe all.

1. Open the PC companion
2. click the start button given below at support zone
3. disconnect your phone
4. choose the phone/tablet software update menu
5. click the blue colored text "repair my phone and tablet"
6. follow the instructions
7. connect the phone through USB cable ONLY when the dialogue box asks to do so.

NOTE: PC Companion will detect only those phones which are not flashed by custom/stock ROMS.
BaD ExperienceS ArE RatheR GooD ExperienceS!!
Visitor
Message 6 of 12
Message 6 of 12

nainu1989, thanks for the input.

I'll give it a try; it says I'm about to lose my personal data, which I hope to solve with a back-up.

I hope the phone can be reset to the previous version of the smartphone software, and that I can restore my personal data. I don't like to waste time on these kind of issues, so this will definitely influence my buying behaviour towards Sony.

Visitor
Message 7 of 12
Message 7 of 12

It didn't work at all: I keep getting the latest firmware!

I want to get rid of the latest firmware, and keep on using the previous -better!- version!

Visitor
Message 8 of 12
Message 8 of 12

I contacted Sony support by phone...

It seems you cannot go back to an earlier version.

I also lost all my installed apps in the process: when I wanted to do a backup (I had backed up everything) apparently a lot of software and data isn't backed up at all!

No more Sony for me, that's for sure!

Message 9 of 12
Message 9 of 12

http://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-Z-ZL-ZR/How-to-manually-update-downgrade-root-2013-Xperias/m-p/...

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

One time poster
Message 10 of 12
Message 10 of 12

well thats gana be problem for me ..... due to software update first time 2 days after the update I i was not able to connect my phone to the pc . data usb and all that I found on the internet did not help me one bit . so i could not update the next time cause it needed to be connected to pc :\ then the next update came and gues what !!! after a day or two my phone can not read the sd card . the phone doesn't lags works smothly and so on but you see the problem :\ no help found .