account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

How do I delete things off my SD card?

SOLVED
One time poster
Message 1 of 9
Message 1 of 9

How do I delete things off my SD card?

I tried downloading a movie straight onto my SD card from my laptop to my experia by dragging it across. It worked, but when I opened the movie it was just 2 clips. So I downloaded a diff version of it, HD in mkv format, and when I tried to transfer it across it kep failing after half the transfer. Could be the film , not sure BUT ive tried to delete the 2 previous clips from my phone, and theres no delete option in movies, nor is there any option to go into your SD card and delete stuff.

Anyone help please? #

Cheers

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
One time poster
Message 2 of 9
Message 2 of 9

Re: How do I delete things off my SD card?

1. In movies when you select a movie keep your finger on it and a pop-up should appear with the option to delete.

2. If you have File Commander app installed you can also delete files with that.

8 REPLIES 8
One time poster
Message 2 of 9
Message 2 of 9

1. In movies when you select a movie keep your finger on it and a pop-up should appear with the option to delete.

2. If you have File Commander app installed you can also delete files with that.

One time poster
Message 3 of 9
Message 3 of 9

Many thanks Slightly smiling Face

Whats the best way to transfer movies across from my laptop to my phone? Im using drag and drop like I do with my music, but as of yet I havent been able to get a film to work properly.  Whats the best format to use, and can it play blu rays formats?

Ive installed mx player and mobo player today to see if they play stuff better than the standard movie player.

Cheers for any tips Slightly smiling Face

One time poster
Message 4 of 9
Message 4 of 9

Drap and drop should be fine.

But remember there is a limit on filesize of 4Gbyte. You cannot copy files larger than that to sd-card. You can copy files larger than 4Gbyte to internal space.

Most common fileformats should work. MKV-container i common for movies in HD but many of these is larger than 4GB.

MX Player handles Dolby Digital and that format in common in movies and tv-shows, Xperia Z internal player cannot handle DD.

One time poster
Message 5 of 9
Message 5 of 9

Cheers - that could be the problem then as I think the file was like 6gig Slightly frowning Face Ill send it to the phone instead Slightly smiling Face

One time poster
Message 6 of 9
Message 6 of 9

But keep in mind that the internal space is used for apps too so you dont make it full. May cause some problems if no free space life.

If you want big MKV-files on SD-card you can use MKVmerge for splitting them in smaller pieces under 4GB. Quite simple and fast operation and all stuff like audiotracks, subtitles and chapters will be there after a split.

Highlighted
One time poster
Message 7 of 9
Message 7 of 9

I use Media Go to transfer files.

Supported formats from the Phone white paper http://dl-developer.sonymobile.com/documentation/whitepapers/Xperia_Z_LTE_WP_2.pdf

Various apps may have their own codecs which support other formats.

Decoder FormatSupported in file format

MPEG-4 Simple Profile Level 6

Advanced Simple Profile Level 5

3GPP (.3gp)  MP4 (.mp4)
H.264 High Profile Level 3.23GPP (.3gp)  MP4 (.mp4)
H.263 Profile 0 Level 703GPP (.3gp)

One time poster
Message 8 of 9
Message 8 of 9

But when I delete picture off File Commander, on my Sd card it still doesn't delete 

Emperor
Message 9 of 9
Message 9 of 9

@Achal1

This is a 4 year old post, can you give us more info on your issue, which Xperia do you have, android version, etc. 

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)