account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Want to know more about Xperia 5? To read more about it go here.
If you can't find the answer to your question there please post it here and let the community help you.

Full signal bar but can't make call or receive call

One time poster
Message 1 of 13
Message 1 of 13

Full signal bar but can't make call or receive call

I have issue on my Xperia Z phone, when I went to my work area that do not have the netwok coverage for some time, after get out from the area, the signal bar is resume back to full at notification bar with h+ (sometime LTE) and signal strength is about -73dbm but the phone is not able to make call or surf net, can't even reachable when someone try to call me which my friend keep complaint to me eventhough during that time my phone is actually showing full signal on the notification bar, checked this with my colleague which using the same model phone and he do have the same problem, the problem is sometime recovered by switching to Airplane mode and switch back to normal mode else need to power off the phone and power on again. Already sent the phone to sony and they have reinstalling firmware and end up still having the same problem. Anyone know how to fix this issue or will this issue fix with the 4.2.2 update? The area that I stay still do not have 4.2.2 release yet and my phone is currently running on 4.1.2 with 10.11.A.1.253 build number.

Tried verified same sim card on my wife's htc one phone, not found this problem. If sony still not able to fix this issue for me, this will be my last Sony phone and say byebye to sony forever and welcome htc!!

12 REPLIES 12
Sony Xperia Support
Message 2 of 13
Message 2 of 13

Re: Full signal bar but can't make call or receive call

What happens if you set your phone to use only GSM, only WCDMA or GSM/WCDMA under Settings -> More -> Mobile networks -> Network mode? Does this happen no matter what network you're on?

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Visitor
Message 3 of 13
Message 3 of 13

I had the same problem with my Xperia ZR -- the network connection froze totally from time to time and recovered only by rebooting or re-searching the network. I got my phone replaced and I've switched my network operator and the problem hasn't happened so far, either because I had a defective unit earlier, or the stronger signal of the new operator doesn't get the phone to the state where it hangs in the first place. Switching to GSM only mode might help, but is not really a solution because the phone is supposed to switch from WCDMA to GSM on its own seamlessly without hanging. Sony does need to get some of its radio issues fixed, and I hope they are better with 4.2.2.

Visitor
Message 4 of 13
Message 4 of 13

i cant make calls or recieve calls  even though i have full signal bar .if i change network gsm to others i might get one call then problem persists,same if i turn phone on and off one call full signal bar then nothing 

One time poster
Message 5 of 13
Message 5 of 13

I'm using sony xperia SP, and too facing the same problem.. Getting irrated at times too with this issue. Any solution?

Highlighted
Apprentice
Message 6 of 13
Message 6 of 13

I have the same problem,is it a software or a hardware issue?

One time poster
Message 7 of 13
Message 7 of 13

Inhabitant
Message 8 of 13
Message 8 of 13

No bars for me if the phone have been searching for a network in a place with poor coverage. It might not find any network at all if I do a manual search, only a restart helps. Luckily i'm not in such places very often.

Xperia ZR, most firmwares up to .230.

I woun't go into the woods and try to disable network types to try to troubleshoot, nor replace the simcard. With Telia i'm often connected to GSM. I think these phones are better with GSM turned off, would be nice to be able to turn that off (not the hacky way in the service menu).

Maybe something bad happens when the amplifier is forced to transmit at maximum power, GSM signals are nasty!

Visitor
Message 9 of 13
Message 9 of 13

hi Calls go through in the WCDA mode only. Not when the mobile is on wifi or GSM. Please help 

One time poster
Message 10 of 13
Message 10 of 13

I have the same signal problem in my 3 xperia z3 i brought from uk at same time. i have all series sony smartphones in use but due to this reason now i hate sony and i throw away sony smartphones. Htc is the best it has no issues like that.