account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Want to know more about Xperia 5? To read more about it go here.
If you can't find the answer to your question there please post it here and let the community help you.

Charging port flap faulty

SOLVED
Rookie
Message 1 of 9
Message 1 of 9

Charging port flap faulty

My Xperia Z charging port flap is not fully closing. If I force it, it'll stay on for a very short period and then come off. And this makes it not waterproof. This unit is still under warranty. Can this be fixed and claimed under warranty?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Demigod
Message 5 of 9
Message 5 of 9

Re: Charging port flap faulty

The rubber seal will break due to wear annd tear, which is normal for all  waterproof devices.Especially when we have to open and closed it frequently, like the earphone & usb port cover. =x

You can actally buy replacement port covers from ebay. Or you can go back to the service centre, although it won't be free, or cheaper. But at least you know it will be waterproof after that.

8 REPLIES 8
Commissioner
Message 2 of 9
Message 2 of 9

I'm having the same problem. I cleaned and squashed that rubber thing so hard and closed it. Now it sticks out a bit but won't open. I opened an exact same thread and the answer I got was to go to the service center. And the ppl at service center would say that it is not covered under warranty.
Rookie
Message 3 of 9
Message 3 of 9

The thing is, I hardly open it to charge because I'm using the charging dock. Only use the flap when travelling cos I won't bring the dock. I assume if I didn't, the flap would've spoilt even earlier
Commissioner
Message 4 of 9
Message 4 of 9

If you hardly open it, then use a transparent adhesive tape and seal it, so that it won't annoy you. I use them when I'm traveling so they the port won't open unnecessarily.
Demigod
Message 5 of 9
Message 5 of 9

The rubber seal will break due to wear annd tear, which is normal for all  waterproof devices.Especially when we have to open and closed it frequently, like the earphone & usb port cover. =x

You can actally buy replacement port covers from ebay. Or you can go back to the service centre, although it won't be free, or cheaper. But at least you know it will be waterproof after that.

Commissioner
Message 6 of 9
Message 6 of 9

My friend has Xperia go and he's using it for nearly 2yrs and still the ports are as strong as when he bought it.
Rookie
Message 7 of 9
Message 7 of 9

Guys, had a replacement of the flap at Sony Service Centre. It only took 5 minutes and RM 34 and is as good as new again and waterproofed. And yes, this defect is not covered under warranty as its a wear and tear item. Problem solved. Thanks for the comments and solution given guys.

Highlighted
Message 8 of 9
Message 8 of 9

They dont replace the flaps...the guy at chaitanya electronics chinchwad, Sony's authorised service centre said to me that they can replae only the phone and no spare parts..he himself using the xperia z with lose flaps..dont buy any sony product

One time poster
Message 9 of 9
Message 9 of 9

Had it less than a month having this problem so dont think it can be wear & tear, just a bad design