account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up cart mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mobile World Congress 2019

Sonys Press conference from MWC took place end of February
If you missed it you can watch it here.
Please join the discussion here and share your thoughts on what was anounced here. MWC 2019 discussion.

Camera file naming convension filename modification

Regular
Message 31 of 48
Message 31 of 48

Re: Camera file naming convension filename modification

IT is fascinating trhat even after three years after first post this is not fixed yet. Everytime I download photos from my phone, I need to manually rename them bacuse otherwise tese photos would overwrite thos efrom previous import.

Jesus, SONY, fix this now !!!

PHH
Visitor
Message 32 of 48
Message 32 of 48

If you use Dropbox the files are renamed to yyyy-mm-dd-hh-mm-ss.

So uploading to Dropbox first to save them with the correct filename when copying to PC. 

Not smart  - but it works.

One time poster
Message 33 of 48
Message 33 of 48

So glad to have found this forum and seen other peoples comments, thought i was losing my mind with the problems I have saving my pictures into some sort of order etc... Filename system is shockingly bad. Another thing to note they use the same filenames for pictures stored on internal memory and those stored on SD....Crazy

One little trick to help with this is to copy pics stored on internal memory to SD card (if you have room) and then any duplicate filenames will have a (1) added to them.....then transfer from phone.

My phone is up for renewal soon and this is probably the one thing that will stop me from getting a new sony. Unbelievable that they havn't sorted this out.....

One time poster
Message 34 of 48
Message 34 of 48

It's just incredible that Sony doesn't even listen to its users... The first message in this topic was sent more than 3 years ago and it seems that nothing has changed... They could have added at least an option for it... I just don't get it why force a dumb and meaningless "last century" file naming method while everybody hates it and it makes the phone's camera function almost unusable... I have just found this app, it makes nicely, what the engineers at Sony can't...: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ro.ciubex.dscautorename. I just don't understand why I need a third-party software for this...:S Very disappointing...Slightly frowning Face

One time poster
Message 35 of 48
Message 35 of 48

I totally agree. Date/timestamp is unique.
Consider I have changed Sonyphones 3 Times within a year. I have many DCS-100.
Very difficult to handle on a mass storage. Which file is which?
Poz
One time poster
Message 36 of 48
Message 36 of 48

God bless you!  I've been SOOOOOOOO frustrated by this ridiculous naming, since I moved from a Nokia n8.  Now I'm smiling again.

THANK YOU!

One time poster
Message 37 of 48
Message 37 of 48

It's interesting to see this thread, it started in 2013. Today is 2017, I'm having Marshmellow on my Xperia Z3 Compact.
The filename problem is still be not solved by Sony.
It looks, like Sony just puts  on all its customers.

DSC_0001, DSC_0001_1, DSC_0001_2 ....
What is difference between these files? Are they the copy of each other? Are they from the same event/time period? Having a backup of my photos on PC with 20!!! DSC_0001 - how should I categorize them, organize them, recognize which one is what?!!!!

Shame to Sony development team!!!

Apprentice
Message 38 of 48
Message 38 of 48

yes it is really astonishing that Sony dont care about user opinion in this matter. 

#appalling #Sony Xperia Z5 Compact

One time poster
Message 39 of 48
Message 39 of 48

I want this too.

Come on Sony! We're putting up with your endless comercials, it's the least you can do.

Apprentice
Message 40 of 48
Message 40 of 48

Hi All

I can only agree with everybody else. This failure by Sony is a big problem. Trying to find a photo that I've downloaded to my PC is nigh on impossible unless I have saved it to a specific folder named with the day/event that was photographed. I bought my Xperia as my daughter had one & was very impressed with battery life & camera. However, when I next change my phone, this will be one question that I will ask as it is important to me to be able to see when photos were taken.

It astounds me that a company as well respected as Sony fails to listen to what their customers actually want....