account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up cart mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera file naming convension filename modification

Adviser
Message 21 of 48
Message 21 of 48

Re: Camera file naming convension filename modification

Have just updated to Lollipop version on my Z3 and this is one function I really was looking forward to be fixed but it still was not fixed, and considering how old this was being forwarded to Sony, it seems there's no plan to do that at all..

Now I wonder why is that Sony don't bother to fix this when it's obviously better to have a date&time file name for camera files?

One time poster
Message 22 of 48
Message 22 of 48

I take lots of pictures in my work. It's one reason I switched to Sony. However had I known that the pictures were not named with dates, I would have had second thoughts. Please can someone help? Its a hassle to have to go to 'Properties' everytime I need to find out where and when I took a picture.
Enthusiast
Message 23 of 48
Message 23 of 48

DSC Auto Rename is the only solution I found. It shocks me to see this app is a requirement for a high-profile phone like the Xperia series.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ro.ciubex.dscautorename

Owner of an Xperia ZL. Experienced the IR Problem, TWICE
and even THRICE!
One time poster
Message 24 of 48
Message 24 of 48

Bouvrie, thank you SO MUCH for that link - the app is awesome and the person who made it saved my day!

I never ever usually sign up at forums to complain about products, but this time I had too. I'm a total control freak when it comes to sorting pictures neatly into nice little folders with proper names and **bleep**. When the memory card of my phone is full I, of course, transfer the photos to my computer and delete them off the phone (most of them, at least). So the second time around I noticed that the phone had resetted the image naming, and it was all a complete MESS. Ok, so I can sort by date, but still - it was a big pain in the to sort through the duplicate images. I can feel the wrinkle in my forehead growing deeper and deeper.

So I therefore had to sign up, and I had to whine about it to maybe be heard. I seriously would've considered not buying my Z5 if I'd known about this beforehand. I never even thought it would be a potential problem.

So, Sony, PLEASE fix it so that the user can choose their own preferences for photo/video file naming. Samsung does it. Maybe Windows Phone does it too. Probably. Even iPhone does it, I think (at least their file naming is consistent, i.e. it doesn't restart the counter every time the phone is empty). It shouldn't be THAT hard?

And with that, my first world problem whining for today is over. Good night.

One time poster
Message 25 of 48
Message 25 of 48

Wow, they still haven't done anything about this. And with Z5, they've really messed people over, since 3rd party applications, which would allow us to set better filenames, doesn't have access to more than 8MP from the camera.

This issue came to me now that I moved from Z2 to Z5, and I'm storing my photos on a cloud service. Now I get duplicate filenames when I try to sync new photos to the cloud storage. How hard would it be to give us the option to atleast use date and time for a filename? And let us choose the format of the date and time.

Learner
Message 26 of 48
Message 26 of 48

Absolutely pathetic... I am a huge fan of sony product and might be using it since w550 if not earlier. Now in the age of Z series also this is the same issue which persist. every time i need to change the product or format the device, the number starts DSC001 and then i cant even manage them in any folder or storage. had to keep various folders for the family images. very dissapointing how sony keeps ignoring these comments.

One time poster
Message 27 of 48
Message 27 of 48

Dear Rickard, please forward it again. Still after 851 days I cant't find any update solving this issue.

Our field operators use their Z5's for documenting installations and take tons of photos, where date/time is key. It's a hells work sorting/renaming back in office. Sony is a serious SLR and compact camera manufacturer and use date/time in filenames in these. Why not in mobiles? This frustrating issue can't be ignored any longer.

One time poster
Message 28 of 48
Message 28 of 48

Any news on this? I just got Z5 and still have file naming from 10 years ago!
One time poster
Message 29 of 48
Message 29 of 48

This camera file naming issue is more annoying than the fact that you can't choose a different sound for a text message than any other notification. Sony obviously don't care
DSC Auto Rename.
This app solved my problem in regards to the filename being reset: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....dscautorename

One time poster
Message 30 of 48
Message 30 of 48

I am a new Xperia owner and I am sadly dissapointed with the lack of options in the camera for changing filenames - no dates ! It's so last century.  Come on Sony, sort this out please.  I should not have to rely on a 3rd party app to manage this basic setting.