account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

Camera file naming convension filename modification

Enthusiast
Message 11 of 48
Message 11 of 48

Re: Camera file naming convension filename modification

I really doubt this will get "fixed". In terms of consumer satisfaction, Sony is at the very bottom of my list.

It's even more frustrating when I keep resorting to my old Windows Mobile phone from 2008 (6 years ago!), because:

• It does filenames as you'd expect (after a tweak, but at least it's tweakable).
  • Its smaller size is more comfortable in my hand.
  • All its advertised functions work.
  • I have it in my posession. I sent in my Xperia ZL to be replaced for the Nth time now a month or so ago, still haven't heard back from Sony.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm kinda fed up, having bought a phone to replace my "productivity unit", only to end up half a year later with still no working phone. Angry Face

Owner of an Xperia ZL. Experienced the IR Problem, TWICE
and even THRICE!
Learner
Message 12 of 48
Message 12 of 48

Same here- im a massive sony fan boy but might have to switch my phone to a SS galaxy for my next upgrade because of this. that will mean my smart phone and tv both being samsung because of sonys inability to provide the funtionality i want.

If samsung ever deide to make game consoles, sony might be screwed!

One time poster
Message 13 of 48
Message 13 of 48

I can't belive my eyes. This is a popular problem that should be fixed by Sony. It's clear that the way Sony manage Filenames does not help users to short and manage their media files created by the Xperia cam, so, Sony, please, fix it to help your users. Thanks

Visitor
Message 14 of 48
Message 14 of 48

There should be a setting to change file naming convention. It is really cumbersome that a lot of pictures have the same name especially the BURST feature, file saving is really crappy. i have about 100 pictures with the same name DSC00001.jpg.

Learner
Message 15 of 48
Message 15 of 48

This problem still exist in Xperia Z2. Nobody cares about a real camera issue for a camera replacement smartphone.
One time poster
Message 16 of 48
Message 16 of 48

i can't believe this topic was brought up almost a year ago and sony still has not fixed the problem. not even a simple apology of how slack the process of fixing (if any) on their part.

anyways i too have been mindf*%ked as to why sony has let it happen for so long but after some searching around i came across an app called DSC Auto Rename. just go to google play and type in and install. works really well and should fix all the above problems..

hope this helps Slightly smiling Face

Enthusiast
Message 17 of 48
Message 17 of 48

Which Xperia do you have altr33? I tried DSC Auto Rename (based on the description it's a better fix than EXIF rename tools which only target the photos, NOT the movies) but my Xperia ZL reboots as soon as it tries to rename something?

On Windows, I found the freeware "Advanced Renamer" to work nicely in tackling this Sony shortcoming, but this problem should still be fixed straight in the phone, in the camera software!

*edit*

Got DSC Auto Rename working, turned out I had too many files on the device to be renamed, causing Android to kill the non-responsive app. The filenames resulting from the app are exactly what I was looking for. However, the app's service sometimes seems to fail on me (perhaps due to memory management?), meaning files aren't always renamed.

Still, it's the best workaround-solution available until Sony gets this fixed!

Owner of an Xperia ZL. Experienced the IR Problem, TWICE
and even THRICE!
Highlighted
One time poster
Message 18 of 48
Message 18 of 48

I had the same frustration, but I have found a perfect solution:

A simple app called "DSC Auto Rename" by Ciubex

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ro.ciubex.dscautorename

Works perfect!

Save your pictures to your internal memory, because once on the external, it can't change anything anymore. What a wonderfull latest Android update (not!!). After the app has changed the name (I set it to 3 seconds) to the exif information-name, I move my pictures to external.

Learner
Message 19 of 48
Message 19 of 48

I have the same issue with Microsoft OneDrive camera auto backup : (on a Z3 compact)

Once it has saved a photo with a name, it won't save it another one with the same name to the cloud, even if does not exist there ! (not a good app too)

Generally phone software is poorly designed, (Sony PlayMemories has other problems)

So I can't have all my photos saved

Same problem if i delete one on the phone, the new one with the same name will never be saved  ^^ !

Please SONY, simply NEVER re-use the same photo number, like in your real digital cameras. Please be consistent !

Thanks if you fix this.

One time poster
Message 20 of 48
Message 20 of 48

This is so far the most annoying thing with my 3 months old Xperia Z3, Sonys "flagship". I switched from SG3+Blackberry to Xperia and if this is not fixed I will buy Samsung again, or LG, ignorance of this kind when Sony does not fix such a thing for 3 years is unbelievable.