account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

Camera file naming convension filename modification

Enthusiast
Message 1 of 48
Message 1 of 48

Camera file naming convension filename modification

I'd like to have the camera app on my Xperia ZL append date and time to the filename of recorded media (pictures, videos). I had this mod on my previous phone (i900) that changed the SNC00001.jpg, SNC00002.jpg, etc. to 090323_224107.jpg, 090323_224537.jpg... <date_time.jpg> etc. Can this setting be tweaked somehow on the Xperia phone, possibly with an updated camera app release?

The procedure of having to manually keep a copy of the most recent item on the storage to remember the last ID, is cumbersome, not to mention the fact that save for the EXIF information, data about when the file was created is lost the moment one copies the file to the PC (creation date will be the date of copying).

Owner of an Xperia ZL. Experienced the IR Problem, TWICE
and even THRICE!
47 REPLIES 47
Highlighted
Sony Xperia Support
Message 2 of 48
Message 2 of 48

Re: Camera file naming convension filename modification

It's not possible to change the filename used by the camera but i can forward the feedback.

One solution may be to use a software in your PC that renames files using the EXIF-information. I haven't tested any such software but google for exif file renamer and you'll find several softwares that can do this.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Enthusiast
Message 3 of 48
Message 3 of 48

• One solution may be to use a software in your PC that renames files using the EXIF-information. I haven't tested any such software but google for exif file renamer and you'll find several softwares that can do this.

Yeah, though this isn't a structural solution, it's just a way to fight the symptoms of not having unique filenames across camera sessions. Usually I record photo's and video then when the storage is full I move the files onto my PC for later processing. When I use the camera again, I'll have duplicate filenames which prevents me from moving the files to my PC unless I either put them in a different folder, OR if I rename either batch of files' filenames. This is quite a hassle without reason.

I don't see why filenames should have an arbitrary, meaningless technical number (like they have now) when they could be uniquely identifyable across sessions by means of a date+timestamp in the filename. It's a common system used in many other camera apps these days too, it's a shame that the otherwise OK camera lacks this functionality IMO.

In user experience terms, it feels like I took a step back in functionality, coming from my old 2008-era Windows Mobile phone to a 2013 Android phone. At least the Xperia ZL has a dedicated 2-way camera shutter, which is why I love the phone so much when compared to common Android phones that lack hardware buttons! Slightly smiling Face

Owner of an Xperia ZL. Experienced the IR Problem, TWICE
and even THRICE!
Visitor
Message 4 of 48
Message 4 of 48

This issue presents a huge problem.  The file names are scattered all over the place because the xerpia doesn't use dates.  

This is a must for categorization.  

Fix this, please!  I changed from Samsung (who used dates in the file name) because of the camera... but this presents a huge problem when filing chronologically (which is like the best way to file)...

I have hundreds of photos that are now tangled up in random order because of this.  

Get it done in the next update, please.  

One time poster
Message 5 of 48
Message 5 of 48

I'm using another camera app from google play (though xperia default camera is way better than the app)  just because Xperia default camera filename is not having date and time. Hope Sony will fix this problem in the next update.

One time poster
Message 6 of 48
Message 6 of 48

Yes, this is a real problem.. I moved from a iPhone 5 to Xperia Z1 and take a lot of pictures.. Now its difficult to manage them using the current naming given by the default camera app!

Please SONY fix this with 4.3 or Kitkat software for Xperia Z1 

Thanks in advance.

One time poster
Message 7 of 48
Message 7 of 48

Becuase of how the Sony names picture files, I end up with duplicate names.  For example, if I take 30 photos, move them to my pc and delete the photos from my phone, the names start back over at 1.  So, when I go to put the new set onto my computer, it has trouble becuase of the duplicate names.  I have to rename them all just to introduce the new set of files.  This needs to be fixed ASAP and sent out as an update! Please!

One time poster
Message 8 of 48
Message 8 of 48

i'm just xperiencing.... this problem myself trying to catalogue the wifes photo collection. how frustrating to have the stock camera restart the number sequence once the folder is cleared out...   seems to be a major step backwards from older handsets??

Apprentice
Message 9 of 48
Message 9 of 48

Dear Richard, 

Could you make sure that in the upcomming update it is fixed? PLease add Created Date in the Filenam, it's a HUGE step back in time... EXIF is useless, everytime you use the option to move files to your SD the created date is altered... 

Unbelievable...

Regards,

One time poster
Message 10 of 48
Message 10 of 48

I agree to all of the previous posts, the current naming behaviour is massively annoying Slightly frowning Face please improve this!