account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

BUG: Xperia Z reboots continously

SOLVED
Apprentice
Message 1 of 38
Message 1 of 38

BUG: Xperia Z reboots continously

Hi.

I got my new Xperia Z on Friday, and today it started rebooting continously.

I'll try to describe what I think could be relevant information for this error.

Today I was travelling and on the bus to the airport I noticed that I was getting low on power (~50% charge) while playing music with walkman. I went into the power settings and switched on stamina mode, power save and the wifi thing.

The phone still worked as it should by this time.

Later when entering the plane I switched the phone to flight mode and now the problem started to happen.

After switching to flight mode, I wanted to restart the phone to see if it started up in flight mode as it should do. I pressed the power button and then the "switch off" field on the screen.

The phone now switched off, and after a few seconds restarted again to my surprice. After booting up it almost immediately reboots again, and so it continued until the battery got empty. (I had about 25-30% power on the battery at this point).

The phone is on for about 5-10 seconds which makes it almost impossible to do any adjustments on the phone while it's on.

Observation: The phone get quite hot while this is happening.

After getting back home I charged the battery but that didn't help. I do however get the phone to power off now by pressing the power and vol+. (had to google that)

In short I think either some of the power save functions or flight mode has a bug that got triggered unless this is a hardware issue. (But I'm not the expert.)

* I do have some media recorded on the device that I would like to get out of the phone. Any advice on this matter would be appreciated.

* Any advice on getting the unit into an working condition again would be awesome.

* I'm not too impressed that this happened after three days of use.

--

Asbjørn Eliassen

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Apprentice
Message 22 of 38
Message 22 of 38

Re: BUG: Xperia Z reboots continously

I figured that I might send an update.

One of the firmware updates that have been released since I filed this bug have fixed this issue. I have now used the phone with both power save and stamina mode enabled for some months without hitting this issue. So I can just say that it works for me now. Slightly smiling Face

37 REPLIES 37
Apprentice
Message 2 of 38
Message 2 of 38

I'll add a few more notes.

I have tried removing the memory card and the sim card.

I also had finished listening to walkman a while earlier when the trouble started.

Demigod
Message 3 of 38
Message 3 of 38

What you are facing is certainly new. Some how or another, your phone is gettin into a bootloop which could have been caused by anything at all. But most probably, a necessary file has gotten corrupted.

Since you can't do a factory reset, the only option left is to flash the firmware again. To do that, fire up Sony PC Companion and select Support Zone. If you dont' have it installed, just google and d/l it. Make sure you phone has been charged first before you do this. Just dont' plug it into the phone yet.

Follow the instruction and select the th right phone. Make sure you read the instrctions properly. Before you reinstall the OS, there is an option to format data. Make sure that you don't if you want to keep your files intact. If not, the internal sdcard will erased. I'm not able to give you the actual steps cuz i'm on a Mac right now and my w7 is at home.

Wish you all the best. Good luck!

Edit: Apparently the update service doesn't allow that option to not erase data. You can try use Flashtool instead. But if your data is not important, just do the update anyway.

Apprentice
Message 4 of 38
Message 4 of 38

Thanks, but this seems not to help. PC companion can't see my phone when it's off, and it's not on long enough to do anything useful in the software.

Here is a video of the device rebooting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKjDP9ZvusE&feature=youtu.be

Apprentice
Message 5 of 38
Message 5 of 38

Seems like I'm one of few that have hit this bug yet (I did get a confirmation on youtube that another person is also having the same problem), so I guess I'll just send it in for service or just return the device as a faulty device.

I'll post an update when I'm finished.

--

Asbjørn

One time poster
Message 6 of 38
Message 6 of 38

Hi,

I'm experiencing exactly the same situation - my phone is now a mirror image (video rather) of the video you made.

Did you manage to resolve this?

BTW; In my case flight mode was not part of the equation. Seems to have died some time during the night, despite having decent amount of battery life left the evening before (but wasn't plugged in during the night). After having plugged it into the charger the following morning and tried to turn it on, the continuous loop of restarting started.

Apprentice
Message 7 of 38
Message 7 of 38

I got hold of support, and was told to do a repair from the pc companion software with the phone  shut off.

I tried the non destructive route first by selecting support zone-> update software -> start

This didn't seem to work as the phone disconnected a few seconds after I inserted the USB cable. (reboot of computer/phone was tested too).

I then tried the "repair phone" (link on the update software window) function which is a data-destructive reinstall of the operating system, this worked. The phone is now working again, but I have lost all data on the phone unfortunately (I have had some days to think this through though....)

All in all, I'm happy now, I have had my lesson and made the camera save data to my SD card intead of to the internal one.

Let's hope Sony gets this fixed, because I get some messages on youtube that this bug bites other people too.

Apprentice
Message 8 of 38
Message 8 of 38

I suggest you bother the support personell at Sony for this and reinstall the phone software again.

I think it is important that they actually get some feedback on this so they might acknowledge the bug.

I just hope that this isn't one of those bugs that I need to fix every other day until it gets fixed.

One time poster
Message 9 of 38
Message 9 of 38

went through repair process earlier this week. worked fine till last night, when it suddenly started the rebooting routine again.

I'm repairing again as we speak - hopefully it'l work more than a few days this time.

Apprentice
Message 10 of 38
Message 10 of 38

I hit it just now too, and I'm pretty sure it happened at the point where my battery had 10% power left. That's when i had set the power save to kick in.

So for the Sony officials in here I think I have a simple procedure to see the bug for yourselves:

Set a power save limit. Swith on the power save function.

Wait for the batttery to reach that limit.

Watch the phone reboot continously. (doesn't get better when charged either)

My guess is that this is either a driver bug, power save service bug or some application bug that happend when I change the power save limit.

I wonder what the price for finding bugs are?

--

Asbjørn - waiting for the phone to charge so I can reflash it...

Message was edited by: asbjorneliassen - Typo