account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Any way of fixing a reboot loop on xperia z without losing all phone data?

SOLVED
Rookie
Message 1 of 10
Message 1 of 10

Any way of fixing a reboot loop on xperia z without losing all phone data?

So I had a notification on my phone the other day to say a software update was available but I did not download it yet as I wanted to back up my phone's data first. Of course I kept forgetting to do it and now I'm in trouble =(

Last night, my phone went into stamina mode on very low battery and I plugged it in to the wall charger when it was around 4% battery. This morning my usual alarm did not go off and when I checked my phone it was continuously restarting itself.

It has been stuck in this loop and I can't figure any way out =(

I've checked several forums and most answers mention the "power button + volumer up reset" method which made no difference or using the Sony PC Companion to do a software update/phone repair but I cannot get my phone to stay on for more than 10 seconds before it reboots itself so this is a no go too.

Is there anyway to fix this without losing all my data?!

Florie

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Rookie
Message 10 of 10
Message 10 of 10

Re: Any way of fixing a reboot loop on xperia z without losing all phone data?

UPDATE:

So, after speaking to Sony and the Virgin Mobile tech team AND several phone repair shops near where I live, everyone said there is explicitly no way I can save my data while it has the problem and it is impossible to have the problem repaired without losing all my data...

Cue immense tantrum and tears and reluctance to accept that very important documents and pictures will be lost to me when I know they are still physically (or rather, digitally) there on my poorly phone's memory. It may not have been the smartest idea but I figured the cost of a new phone was a heck of a lot smaller than the priceless data I needed so I decided to take the back off and see if there was a way to get to the internal memory. And yes, boyfriend was on hand to do all of this while I was still in tears.

What would you know, the phone actually switched on and stayed on! No automatic rebooting!! Funnily enough the only time it rebooted was when selecting the googlemail account I wanted to use to back up my data. It seemed my phone was against me to ever save a copy of everything BUT it was happy enough to transfer onto a micro sd and directly onto my laptop.

I'm no expert but from what I've read from other Xperia Z owners who have had this problem, it seems likely it might be to do with stamina mode and some overheating corrupting something.

Fingers crossed my little Xperia acts normally through the night, but I think I'm still going to wipe it and update all software tomorrow just to be sure that it is fixed.

Sony probably don't recommend opening up your phone like this but what the heck, I'm mega happy I've got everything I thought I was going to have to lose. Even if I'd broken the phone and still saved everything, I'd still be happy.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Genius
Message 2 of 10
Message 2 of 10

Hi @florie

I suggest also try to boot into safe mode:

http://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/FAQ/How-to-boot-your-phone-into-safe-mode/m-p/348008#U348008

I'm at disposal for any question.

Best Regards,

"We can have anything we want on life, if we just help others to found what they need” - Ebelsain Villegas
Phy
Forum Legend
Message 3 of 10
Message 3 of 10

remove the SIM card and check again.
Rookie
Message 4 of 10
Message 4 of 10

I booted into safe mode and it still behaved the same; stays on for 10 seconds then reboots.

Rookie
Message 5 of 10
Message 5 of 10

I also tried removing the sim card. This just led to my phone locking itself as I have Virgin Mobile Rescue installed and rebooted with the same message until I reinserted the sim.

Genius
Message 6 of 10
Message 6 of 10

Hi @florie

You would consider visiting a sony service:

http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/support/contact-us/

Best Regards,

"We can have anything we want on life, if we just help others to found what they need” - Ebelsain Villegas
Rookie
Message 7 of 10
Message 7 of 10

I have spoken with an agent on the Sony chat support and the only solution she had was to wipe the phone and lose all the data.

Highlighted
Genius
Message 8 of 10
Message 8 of 10

Hi @florie

Yes, but you can try to first run a backup of the device information like this:

http://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/FAQ/Backup-amp-Transfer/m-p/407253#U407253

Try performing a system repair using PC Companion:

http://support.sonymobile.com/gb/tools/pc-companion/

This will factory reset your phone and erase all data. You might need tocharge your device for about 1-2 hours before so the device has at least 80% battery. Make sure the device is not connected to computer or laptop and turned off (sometimes you have to press power button and volume up until the device vibrates 3 times or on some devices you have to press the small button near the SIM tray or on the back of the device). Start PC Companion and select Support zone then Update my phone/tablet then in Blue Repair my phone/tablet and follow the on screen instructions - When prompted connect your phone still switched off holding volume down or back button - This should start the repair or reformat process. If you are using Windows 8/8.1 or a 64bit operating system then adjust the settings for PC Companion and run in compatibility mode and chose Windows 7 or XP.

In PC Companion you press start on Support Zone -> Start on Update the phone/tablet software -> Repair phone/tablet (the blue clickable link in the message) -> Follow these steps without having your device connected to the PC.

Follow the instruction that appears in the program and do not connect your device until this guide tells you how to connect it.

If it's not possible to perform this software repair, you could check the following FAQ topic regarding USB connection problems:

https://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/FAQ/USB-connection-problems/m-p/348074

Best Regards,

Rookie
Message 9 of 10
Message 9 of 10

Thanks, I can use the phone long enough to go into my settings and select "back up my data" but then the phone powers off so I'm not entirely sure any back up has been made. There is also nothing to suggest my media files have been backed up too.

When I tried the PCC companion last night it constantly told me to connect my phone. Can the back up be run when the phone is powered off at all?

Rookie
Message 10 of 10
Message 10 of 10

UPDATE:

So, after speaking to Sony and the Virgin Mobile tech team AND several phone repair shops near where I live, everyone said there is explicitly no way I can save my data while it has the problem and it is impossible to have the problem repaired without losing all my data...

Cue immense tantrum and tears and reluctance to accept that very important documents and pictures will be lost to me when I know they are still physically (or rather, digitally) there on my poorly phone's memory. It may not have been the smartest idea but I figured the cost of a new phone was a heck of a lot smaller than the priceless data I needed so I decided to take the back off and see if there was a way to get to the internal memory. And yes, boyfriend was on hand to do all of this while I was still in tears.

What would you know, the phone actually switched on and stayed on! No automatic rebooting!! Funnily enough the only time it rebooted was when selecting the googlemail account I wanted to use to back up my data. It seemed my phone was against me to ever save a copy of everything BUT it was happy enough to transfer onto a micro sd and directly onto my laptop.

I'm no expert but from what I've read from other Xperia Z owners who have had this problem, it seems likely it might be to do with stamina mode and some overheating corrupting something.

Fingers crossed my little Xperia acts normally through the night, but I think I'm still going to wipe it and update all software tomorrow just to be sure that it is fixed.

Sony probably don't recommend opening up your phone like this but what the heck, I'm mega happy I've got everything I thought I was going to have to lose. Even if I'd broken the phone and still saved everything, I'd still be happy.

View solution in original post