account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

4.4.2 and 4.4.4 problems for xperia Z,ZL and ZR

SOLVED
Learner
Message 61 of 620
Message 61 of 620

Re: 4.4.2 problems for xperia z zl and zr

An update on my situation. I performed a repair update through PC Companion the other day at the suggestion of another poster. This did stabilize the massive heat spikes a bit and help with battery life, but my performance is still subpar. After an hour of phone use, I'm at 52% power, and my phone still heats up something bad when in use.

I still have no word from Sony about the case number I opened. On Monday, I think I'm going to call the issue in, since I won't be able to retrun the phone under warranty until Wedneday (my car is in the shop, so I can't get to my provider to send it in).

So while my phone has stabilized a bit (30 some degrees Celcius as opposed to 50 when idling, and I'm no longer hemoraging battery life in standby), I'm still much worse off than I was last week, prior to the update. Repair updates and a few days to settle have done little.

Enthusiast
Message 62 of 620
Message 62 of 620

Thanks Scooter (and others) for the update.

Yeah, after the Walkman and Album update issues, I decided to wait out the KitKat update and read early-bird reviews before committing to it. Guess that was a wise move (albeit at the detriment of others; my apologies...).

The fact that Sony Mobile at the moment is silent on this doesn't bode well; I had the same issue back with a 2011 Xperia (the Arc S which got a buggy ICS update and never got a fix).

Though in saying that, if people have updated their phones, as Uliwooly says, give it a repair and reset via PC Companion to help bring the thermals down. It won't be a complete fix, but for some peopl it will be borderline useable as a phone.  That or, power the phone down and don't use till Sony officially provides an update to this.

The Z isn't a Sony ERICSSON-era device so I'm still holding out hope for a fix. The phone is most certainly able to run KitKat. Just the matter of Sony putting the update through proper QC testing... Heck, the Z2 generation recently got a performance Kit Kat update, the Z1 a KitKat update (in the works) for a call notification bug, so hopefullly the Z is in line for a battery drain bug fix too?

Now, I'm reading a bit on a number of people I daresay whining about why their Z phones don't (yet) have the update. I genuinely fear their responses when they DO get it and cause their phones to go nuclear, which seems to be pretty much 100% of the case at the moment.

Either way, staying on 4.3 (.101) till further notice.

Inhabitant
Message 63 of 620
Message 63 of 620

Hi HAYAN_GOKULL,

Are you sure that the battery problem is not an actual? The whole forum is explodes with same messages about quick battery drain. As per my technical experience it can't adopt after a while. Factory reset will help for a few hours (not sure). The only way is to inform the near official sony service teams about problem, they will collect this information and send to manufactory. Believe me, in other case Sony will not take any effort to solve problems (I was worked in Sony Service 4 years).

Enthusiast
Message 64 of 620
Message 64 of 620

I have switched to Samsung, couldnt wait any more for Sony to launch a kitkat software so late & then wait for another few months for them to release some patches to fix this update.

Samsung works like a dream, everything is better than xperia, right from the display to battery life to features to camera, to after sales service, everything is better. Cant believe i allowed Sony to fool me for more than a year.

Inhabitant
Message 65 of 620
Message 65 of 620

Sure, but!!!  I have bought my xperia ZL cheaper than galaxy s3 and the functionality of xperia more higher than galaxy s3 and other samsung phones ( IMHO )

Adviser
Message 66 of 620
Message 66 of 620

Hi again!
Now the second day after kitkat upgrade the Google Services finally settled and the phone went cool again. The only thing I can think of which could have caused the intense cpu overload at this moment is some kind of systemfile-/crc check.
Highlighted
Apprentice
Message 67 of 620
Message 67 of 620

Haven't had an update to 4.4.2 yet, but guys, remember the update to 4.3. The first days after the update, our phones battery drains also very fast. After 2 recharges the problem was solved and my Xperia takes 2-3 days on a battery with "normal" usage.

Sony said in those days it's normal because the whole thing has to be "recalibrated". Mayby 4.4.2 gives the same issue...

Does someone knows the bluetooth handsfree problem is solved in 4.4.2?

There're lots of topics here about the connection problem in many cars. Also in mine and hopefully it's solved now.

This bug was introduced in 4.3.

One time poster
Message 68 of 620
Message 68 of 620

after installing kitkat i'm having problem with my wifi connection... please advise on how can i fix this...

Rookie
Message 69 of 620
Message 69 of 620

No doubt someone will correct me if I'm wrong here but I'm sure I once read that Android learns over a couple of weeks how you use your phone and so the battery life and performance improves over this time, and so using things like task killers and battery life apps actually makes things worse in the long run as it disrupts this process

I've personally not had an issue with battery life or overheating (yet) since updating, is it possible that certain apps don't quite gel with the new firmware and so these are causing the battery life/overheating issues?
Message 70 of 620
Message 70 of 620

@MonkfishMD wrote:
No doubt someone will correct me if I'm wrong here but I'm sure I once read that Android learns over a couple of weeks how you use your phone and so the battery life and performance improves over this time, and so using things like task killers and battery life apps actually makes things worse in the long run as it disrupts this process

I've personally not had an issue with battery life or overheating (yet) since updating, is it possible that certain apps don't quite gel with the new firmware and so these are causing the battery life/overheating issues?

Yes,you are right.Android will learn the usage pattern and optimize it for you in time.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.