account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

4.4.2 and 4.4.4 problems for xperia Z,ZL and ZR

SOLVED
Highlighted
Visitor
Message 11 of 620
Message 11 of 620

Re: 4.4.2 problems for xperia z zl and zr

1. Phone's geting warn even when on homescreen
2. Faster battery drain
3. Apps open much slower but run faster

4. Longer boot time

LGH
One time poster
Message 12 of 620
Message 12 of 620

I am also having battery drain problem.

Google Play services usage at 74%.

Battery is warm even in standby mode.

Battery usage screen showing 4 hours+ of battery capacity with 5% charge left.

Is it possible to revert to previous Android version.

Learner
Message 13 of 620
Message 13 of 620

My Z has also heated up dramatically. When completely idle (fresh restart, no apps running, standby), it's running at about aout 50 degrees Celcius. When running normally (a few apps like texting and my browser open), I've have the CPU temperature go as high as the mid 70's.

Obviously, my battery life is also dramatically affected. After checking my email anf bank account this morning while shopping, I was at 50% power and had to charge my phone before heading off to work. After some light usage, I expect to have to charge my phone again or at best run it down to almost dead by the time I get home.

My dock also doesn't seem to be working. I will have to check the dveice modes again (also my NPC tag in my card) to see if these were just wiped or not working. But waking up to my phone only having 50% power didn't make me very happy.

I've already contacted Sony and have a case number. If I don't hear anything by Monday monring, I will be returning the phone via my carrier under warranty and asking for a replacement. This is ridiculous.

Edit for CoolTail's reply: That's a good idea. I'll do that now and see what happens.

Adept
Message 14 of 620
Message 14 of 620

I've done a reset and it appears to have fixed the battery issue, for now. Must be a hangover from the upgrade, things optimising etc. Will monitor and see.

Regular
Message 15 of 620
Message 15 of 620

I am not 100% sure that it is because of the 4.4.2 update, but I don't remember for such problem from before. Now I am sure, because earlier I was able to delete pictures with TC, now I can't.

The problem is: for browsers the SD card is practically read only. I tried Total Commander and ES file manager. I can't create folders, or can't copy files to the SD card. It is no problem for the internal storage or for the USB storage.

What makes it more strange: The KitKat brought a File Commander file manager, which is working fine with the SD card. The camera app creates photos to the SD card as well, so it shouldn't be read only.

Update: Now I am sure that KitKat made something, because earlier I was able to delete pictures with TC, now I can't.

Any idea how to make the TC working again with the USB storage?

Visitor
Message 16 of 620
Message 16 of 620

i notice, the battery life in my Xperia Z after update to 4.4.2 is very short, it drains so fast, in some apps the battery consume its too much more than when i was 4.3, also phone's geting warm very fast even with a little of use and in the home screens are a little laggy whit AIR theme (dinamic), are the only things by now but i want to get fixed, in everything else im so happy whit the update so far, its really amazing! i update the first day the it comes out, and in the firs start the phone was very slow whit the notification bar and a little other things, but i restart the phone and its fixed

Visitor
Message 17 of 620
Message 17 of 620

Re: 4.4.2 problems fo xperia z zl and zr

the first start after i update, the notification windows was laggy too, i only turn off and turn on the phone and its fixed Slightly smiling Face the only thing its that the screens are a little laggy whit any theme (static or animated)

Talent
Message 18 of 620
Message 18 of 620

dosent sony test the firmware themselves before releasing the update ???

Inhabitant
Message 19 of 620
Message 19 of 620

I can confirm that laggy settings menu and laggy home screen. Go to developer option and turn on force GPU rendering and restart. I think this will solve the prob..
And battery drain is too fast.
Learner
Message 20 of 620
Message 20 of 620

@RelakS: All fingers are pointed at Google for this one. As a security pre(post?)caution, Google has removed the ability for apps to write to external memory. Quite frustrating, but Sony gets off the hook for this one. Supposedly, the canned file browser (File Commander) can write to SD (as can other first party apps), but apps like ES and Astro cannot. If you root your phone, I understand ES does have a work around though.

I completely forgot about this when trying to backup my phone for a reset (which didn't work. Phone is still going nuclear). You can still access external memory, but can no longer write to it with third party apps.