account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Want to know more about Xperia 5? To read more about it go here.
If you can't find the answer to your question there please post it here and let the community help you.

4.4.2 - Battery Drain issue - Workaround \ Fix

SOLVED
One time poster
Message 931 of 953
Message 931 of 953

Re: 4.4.2 - Battery Drain issue - Workaround \ Fix

No such problem here. I'm on 4.4.4 since two days ago and battery drain problem has (finally) gone away.

My phone is an Xperia Z

Inhabitant
Message 932 of 953
Message 932 of 953

I'm on 4.4.4 since about 48 hours ago, and so far there is no battery drain and of course phone has stopped overheating for no reason at all. Google Services seems to be under control now but I think Mediaserver wasn't using this much battery before 4.4.2, alhought I don't really remember how it used to be...

So for me it's going OK for now, but from past experience with 4.4.2 I don't want to call this resolved yet, it still on probation Slightly smiling Face

Rookie
Message 933 of 953
Message 933 of 953

I already uninstalled the gogole services to the factory version, did someone knows if I need to do the update to 4.4.4 with the latest version or the factory version of google services?, you guys that you already do it, what was your scenario?

Highlighted
Adviser
Message 934 of 953
Message 934 of 953

I updated to 4.4.4 this morning but the battery still seems to be draining more than it should. Google services was still using 25% of battery. I changed my location settings to high accuracy but have had to change them back to device only. Can anyone help? How is the new update for other people? Am I the only one that still seems to be having problems?
Inhabitant
Message 935 of 953
Message 935 of 953

Since my last post the battery life has settled down. However, it's still only lasting 10 hours before it dies when 3 months ago before this fiasco after 14 hours I usually still had 40% battery!!!

Google Play Services is stil using 20-30% of the battery, it is still getting hot too.

I did go back to the workaround setting from before to see what would happen and once again it improved things, 

but I have turned all the settings back on now (to how the phone should be.)

I wonder whether the folk who say 4.4.4 has solved the problem have remembered to turn everything back on to how it was prior to 4.4.2 Nauseated Face

Learner
Message 936 of 953
Message 936 of 953

Still suffering battery drain on 4.4.2

After several months of my Xperia Z draining its battery in half a day, I'm still seeing the problem. Is this issue ever going to be properly fixed?

Google Play Services will often take up 80% of the battery consumption when location services is switched on. Even with stamina mode on (which means I don't receive notifications) and location services off (which means I lose other functionality I've come to rely on) this can still happen on occassion, and the only fix is to power cycle the phone.

I'm on the latest version of everthing and I've tried the various fixes (restore to factory settings, switching off ad services, etc), but none of them have been long term fixes.

I don't care whether it's Google's fault or Sony's fault, but this is a Sony supplied product and it is their responsibility to ensure that it works effectively. Until this happened, I was really happy with the phone, now I'm just looking forward to when I can replace it, and seriously regretting recommending it to family members (who don't have the know-how to fiddle with settings every time there is an issue).

What is Sony's plan to solve the problem?

Sam.

Inhabitant
Message 937 of 953
Message 937 of 953

Re: Still suffering battery drain on 4.4.2

Totally agree with the above.

It amazed me how badly Sony is dealing with this.

The Xperia Z is still a new phone in reality. I had mine from release day and within just over a year all this crap begins.

A 12 month old phone with a fault and no support.

The 4.4.4 update HAS NOT solved the problem, you can't still blame Google.

In fact although the battery life on 4.4.4 is a touch better (6 hours not 4 hours) it's still SHOCKING.

The fault where the phone gets really hot when not in use is FAR WORSE that before. 
In fact the reason I came onto this forum now was the fact that my phone started to get hotter and hotter in my pocket - that hot if I put it to my lips I cant's bear it for long!!!!

Jesus Sony, what are you doing.

Somehow all this proves why Samsung and Apple are market leaders. Their products aren't **bleep**

Commissioner
Message 938 of 953
Message 938 of 953

Re: Still suffering battery drain on 4.4.2

Maybe it could be useful to start a new, dedicated thread for remaining people still suffering of this problem after 4.4.4 upgrade (for visibility and clarification).

The current thread title  "4.4.2 - Battery Drain issue - Workaround" could be not so much adequate.

Anyway, for me, the upgrade has totally fixed the issue (with others improbement like global interface responsiveness and fluidity but that's another story)

I would be interested to see a poll about this , but I don't think this is supported by this forum.

Something like this:

• Did you suffered from Google Play Services battery drain issue under 4.4.2?
    • [X] YES
    • [_] NO
  • What have been the effects on your device of the 4.4.4 upgrade?
    • [_] I had no problem under 4.4.2
    • [_] No changes, drain is still there
    • [_] improved but not as good as under 4.3
    • [X] Problem solved for me.

(I've checked my own answers)

Visitor
Message 939 of 953
Message 939 of 953

even me... am not able to use

Inhabitant
Message 940 of 953