account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

4.4.2 - Battery Drain issue - Workaround \ Fix

SOLVED
Rookie
Message 841 of 953
Message 841 of 953

Sony Xperia Z - old issues solved or not?

My old phone, Sony Xperia Arc S is slowly dying and I need a new phone, Xperia Z being the main candidate because the price at which you can get it now is quite good (299 EUR). However, I understand that there have been a number of serious issues. I wanted to enquire if some of those have been solved in the newest software releases.

- Excessive heat. I know this has been a major source of discomfort and even instability. Many apps are not well optimized and they use too much CPU/memory, causing the phone to get really hot. Do the later software releases optimize the performance better or is there a way to turn down the speed of the cores for example? I don't use wifi/bluetooth, only 3G/4G. I don't do any gaming, but I listen to a lot of music and watch youtube videos while travelling.

- Battery drain. Let's not consider the KitKat battery drain fiasco (which will hopefully be solved soon with 4.4.4), but in general the battery performance was rather poor right from the launch of the phone. Has it got better in time? 1 day is the minimum what I would consider acceptable with medium usage (few hours of calling, few hours of listening to music, checking e-mails and some light web browsing).

Thank you in advance for your comments!

Highlighted
Rookie
Message 842 of 953
Message 842 of 953

xperia z 4.4.2 overheating

Hi, i'm using a xperia z c6603 running 4.4.2. What i've found after the kitkat update is my phone encounters overheating issue while charging. Due to this i have switch off my phone everytime while charging. I hope sony will fix it in supersoon. Tq
Demigod
Message 843 of 953
Message 843 of 953

Re: 4.4.2 - Battery Drain issue - Workaround \ Fix

HI,

Base on the test this are the findings:

theme picker - Nothing change

Settings page - Much smoother, not like the older 4.4.2 which will experience slight lag while scroll up and down

Battery performance - based on the screenshot below of usage

*Test based on stamina mode on, will do a full charge tonight and do another test with stamina off.

Screenshot_2014-08-29-09-46-27.png   Screenshot_2014-08-29-09-46-53.png   Screenshot_2014-08-29-10-17-42.png

Native app - Only movie app is updated to 6.2.A.1.14

*Probably some bug fix, previously i couldn't throw movies to my LG 32LB582T. But now, it work flawlessly  

Hope this is useful, Do let me know what you guys wanna know. will try to work on it during the weekend. Thanks all have a great weekend.

Demigod
Message 844 of 953
Message 844 of 953

Re: xperia z 4.4.2 overheating

HI,

While charging it will heat up for sure as the battery is charging up. it happens on my Z1c and Z2 as well. I don't see that as an issue actually.

Learner
Message 845 of 953
Message 845 of 953

@Bandolero wrote:

HI,

Settings page - Much smoother, not like the older 4.4.2 which will experience slight lag while scroll up and down

*Test based on stamina mode on, will do a full charge tonight and do another test with stamina off.

Screenshot_2014-08-29-09-46-27.png   Screenshot_2014-08-29-09-46-53.png   Screenshot_2014-08-29-10-17-42.png

*Probably some bug fix, previously i couldn't throw movies to my LG 32LB582T. But now, it work flawlessly  

Hope this is useful, Do let me know what you guys wanna know. will try to work on it during the weekend. Thanks all have a great weekend.

Okay... So no any new apps ?

Does What's New included ?

Any new features?

Apprentice
Message 846 of 953
Message 846 of 953

@Bandolero wrote:

HI,

First, thanks for your time and predisposition :smileysmileythumbsup:

Some tips to test

1)Sound problems with GPU acceleration enabled?

On .230 firmware sounds crash every minute Worried Face .Specially with Bluetooth Slightly frowning Face

2)Lag with notification bar/quick settings bar on scrolling?

3)Launcher works smoother? no lags?

4)Sometime the screen turns but only shows a black screen. Is that bug still present?

5)Sound volume is increased? on 4.2 the sound volume was higher than 4.3 and 4.4.2

6)Any camera improvements? Take a little better photos? on 4.2 quality photos was better than 4.3 and 4.4.2 (specially night photos)

7)GPS works better? (No excessive battery consumption?)

Message 847 of 953
Message 847 of 953

Hi and thanks Bandolero for your test,

nice to hear about throw, my questions / testwishes are:

1. I have also a LgG Tv (ph6608) first thing, only with our 2 sony devices it show with throw only each second picture on TV, next not, next yes .....! (but no problem with other apps, like imediashare)

Is the problem solved, or do you dont have this?

And by this its a little second problem, if throw stay in automatigly search for best connect, it start bluetooth and will connect the last connected bluetooth device, is it solved too?

2. miracast, will not connect, they found, will connect, but dont and sometimes the TV says, the devices are not widi compatible, is ist solved or you dont have this problem too?

3. Is in smartconnect now a chance for end, automaticly close the app and not only in beginn, to start only automatigly the apps?

4. In bluetoothlist for connected devices, they will only ever connect the last connected device automaticly, the others only manual, is this problem in there?

Best regards and thanks a lot in advance, Schnuddelbudel

send with ph6608 ;-)

Visitor
Message 848 of 953
Message 848 of 953

Hi

Can you please let me know if NFC payment is supported in 4.4.4? It already should have been in prev KitKat release but this option is missing in settings and NFC payment software returns an errror that devices only 4.4 and later are supported Slightly frowning Face.

Commissioner
Message 849 of 953
Message 849 of 953

@DrZoidberg wrote:

Can you please let me know if NFC payment is supported in 4.4.4? It already should have been in prev KitKat release but this option is missing in settings and NFC payment software returns an errror that devices only 4.4 and later are supported Slightly frowning Face.

Are you sure that NFC paiment is not supported un 4.4.2?

On my Z, going to Android settings -> "wireless & networks" -> "more" than pressing menu -> "help" displays:

Wallet
You can use the Google Wallet application or your network operator's Wallet application in your device to pay for items in stores that support NFC payment methods.

Demigod
Message 850 of 953
Message 850 of 953

HI,

The Google wallet feature is always there, even when you setup google now it will prompt for setup the wallet. Just that is not being support by all countries and on the states is only minor retailers have that such as walmart.