account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Want to know more about Xperia 5? To read more about it go here.
If you can't find the answer to your question there please post it here and let the community help you.

4.4.2 - Battery Drain issue - Workaround \ Fix

SOLVED
Message 811 of 953
Message 811 of 953

Re: 4.4.2 - Battery Drain issue - Workaround \ Fix

I think you might still face the bug... I have seen people with HTC One M8 having the same battery drain on KitKat and their metal phones heat up even more. It is a bug in KitKat related with Google Play Services that keeps the CPU awake and working idly and continuously which leads to battery drain and heat. So hardware manufacturers cannot do anything about it. If you go back to 4.3 then the battery drain issue is resolved immediately. It is pretty easy to downgrade, takes no more than 10 minutes at most. I went to 4.1.2 because it is much more stable and smoother than 4.3. Having the latest update is nice but not if it makes your phone perform worse so I am satisfied staying on Jelly Bean until this issue is resolved by Google.

Adviser
Message 812 of 953
Message 812 of 953

and my google play service is using 4% battery Slightly smiling Face this bug is temporary i think.. i dont know..
Message 813 of 953
Message 813 of 953

Try do deactive the android device manager at security menu. And restart your phone
One time poster
Message 814 of 953
Message 814 of 953

Xperia Z PROBLEM WITH BATERRY DRAIN IS SOLVED

You can update your Xperia Z to kiktkat 4.4.2. Google play service drain less than 3% of battery. Because of new version of google play service. New software will come soon. There will be fix for notification tab and many other things. Sry on my ENG.
Highlighted
Sony Xperia Support
Message 815 of 953
Message 815 of 953

Re: Xperia Z PROBLEM WITH BATERRY DRAIN IS SOLVED

In June we received reports highlighting excessive battery drain on devices running Android 4.4.1 or higher - and identified that the root cause was related to the latest version of Google Play Services (4.4.52).

Google released a fix through an update for the Google Play Services app – it has restored battery consumption to normal levels in the following devices: Xperia Z1, Xperia Z1 Compact, Xperia Z Ultra, Xperia Z2, Xperia Z2 Tablet and Xperia ZL2.

For Xperia Z, Xperia ZR, Xperia ZL and Xperia Tablet Z, Sony Mobile is preparing an additional correction, which will be delivered in an upcoming software release - this release is now undergoing final stages of testing and will be available shortly*.

We encourage all users to update the Google Play Services app regularly to ensure normal Android application, service and device functionality.

*All software release dates are dependent on local and operator approval and release times may vary.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Enthusiast
Message 816 of 953
Message 816 of 953

@Rickard wrote:

[...]Google released a fix through an update for the Google Play Services app [...] Xperia Z1, Xperia Z1 Compact, Xperia Z Ultra, Xperia Z2, Xperia Z2 Tablet and Xperia ZL2.

For Xperia Z, Xperia ZR, Xperia ZL and Xperia Tablet Z, Sony Mobile is preparing an additional correction, which will be delivered in an upcoming software release 

@@Rickard: Thank you very much for at least admiting the situation, that we have been waiting 4 months for a fix and that it is not solved yet.

Google did their homework but not Sony, who didnt do anything to stop it. Not even cancelling the OTA Update, nor providing support to downgrade our phones to Android 4.3

Admiting your mistakes is the first step to get a real solution. We demand a compensation for this (by now) 4 months without phone

Apprentice
Message 817 of 953
Message 817 of 953

Can you tell us what the version of Google Play is that has the fix? My current version is 5.0.89 which still drains the life out of my Experia Z. 

Anxiously awaiting an end to this story.

Commissioner
Message 818 of 953
Message 818 of 953

@Alex1971 wrote:

Can you tell us what the version of Google Play is that has the fix? 

Have you noticed:  "upcoming software release" ?

"upcoming" means "not released yet"

Apprentice
Message 819 of 953
Message 819 of 953

Yes I noticed, that is why I didnt ask for a solution for my Experia Z.

But I also noticed that there is a fix for :

Xperia Z1, Xperia Z1 Compact, Xperia Z Ultra, Xperia Z2, Xperia Z2 Tablet and Xperia ZL2. What I hope to learn from that is that I know what update version of Google Play Service I could look out for, in stead of downloading each time and then removing it again. 

Probably you don't have these phones nor the issue {congrats on that Slightly smiling Face } but with the current version the battery drains within 10 hours and with the old versions battery life is normal but several apps won't work. 

Something like being in between a rock and a hard place?

Commissioner
Message 820 of 953
Message 820 of 953

@Alex1971 wrote:

Probably you don't have these phones nor the issue {congrats on that Slightly smiling Face } but with the current version the battery drains within 10 hours and with the old versions battery life is normal but several apps won't work. 

This section of the forum is dedicated to  "Xperia Z/ZL/ZR" range, so ...