account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

4.4.2 - Battery Drain issue - Workaround \ Fix

SOLVED
Apprentice
Message 461 of 953
Message 461 of 953

Re: 4.4.2 - Battery Drain issue - Workaround \ Fix

Don't know. I had the firmware x.230 on my Z and yesterday there was a new one (200 kb) with the same version number...

Apprentice
Message 462 of 953
Message 462 of 953

I spoke to Sony Support on Friday and was asked to try out the new Google Play Services (5.0.84).  If you also want to try it ...search for "Google Wear" on play store...choose the app "Android Wear" and install. I guess this must load a newer version in background that 'wear products' need.

But...unless you are luckier than me...it makes no difference. Google Play Services are still taking between 50 and 85% of my battery and its dying 5-6 hrs before usual. (better than when problem first hit where I could sit and watch the battery percentage count down in front of me...but no better than last v5)

I spoke to Sony again today as they wanted feedback. They are totally blaming Google, only see the phone itself as their product and take zero responsibility for the operating system on it...thats google ! They acknowledged very little info, news or statement from Sony themselves ...and they arent being told either.

This was their only stab at a workaround until Google fix so dont expect any more from them.

When I pushed that Sony had sold me a product and not just a piece of hardware, he headed down the route of "If I am unhappy with my purchase and dont feel its fit for purpose, then I should contact trading standards under 14 days right to swap or refund"  This is pretty appalling from Sony and actually if they had checked their facts its not strictly 14 days...its a period required to prove the product isnt fit for purpose, under sale of goods act.

Its been over a month now and we have had zero official communication from Sony on a true fix or realistic expectations on timescales. I actually do need my phone to work..with maps, satnav...and with locating and communication tools and a battery at the same time or I wouldnt have paid £600 at launch to get such an advanced phone. 

As someone else put very well....we are the people who are the future customers of top end phones. Many on here will also be business influencers and hold a far greater purchasing power than they are realising. I was about to buy the new Z2...but no chance now. Sony have also just lost a large group contract for these phones and to be frank...a customer forever as I dont see any professional response to this.

When you are fighting a market leader such as Samsung you really needed to be putting the customers first as its amazing how fast you drop into insignificance (hows the telly business guys ?).

This feels like purely internal politics with Google and that relationship being more important that publically highlighting this issue and forcing Google's arm...if it truly is them which I am not entirely convinced on. 

I dont have the time to mess about waiting when I need to work and use my phone as a critical tool.  If you force me to switch brands, its final, and I wont be the only one here.

(Chief Technical Officer, Cloud and Media Group)

Adviser
Message 463 of 953
Message 463 of 953

@EdFX I agree with you totally. And I don't believe it for a minute that the issue is just with Google Play Services. People who use other KitKat phones don't report of this continuous battery drain. It only happens once in a while. The only inference is that Sony's firmware isn't at par to work with Google Play Services. If it indeed was Google, it would have been fixed by now, simply cause it's Google, not Sony.
Right now we have nothing to do but wait. At mercy of Sony. I bought my ZR at the turn of the year in Feb after much debating over ZR and Nexus 5, and the main reason I chose ZR was the battery life. Now, I would rather eat my words and I wish I had gone for the Nexus 5.

Commissioner
Message 464 of 953
Message 464 of 953

@Arnavzz wrote:

I don't believe it for a minute that the issue is just with Google Play Services. People who use other KitKat phones don't report of this continuous battery drain. It only happens once in a while. 

I've seen complaints of the exact same problem coming from owners of Galaxy S4, Nexus 5, Moto X, recent HTC models and others.

Just google it and you'll find them.

Some links: 

http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-5/399296-google-play-services-draining-battery.html

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/nexus/Oqv41-W9gO0%5B1-25-false%5D

http://www.loadthegame.com/2014/06/14/android-4-4-3-issues-nexus-5-4-htc-one-m8-getting-update-soon/

even for people running CM:

http://forum.cyanogenmod.com/topic/96554-google-play-services-battery-drain/

Apprentice
Message 465 of 953
Message 465 of 953

Well the frequency could well be related to the problem at hand.  Every single person I know at the moment has been hit with this issue on Xperia Z devices (I have convinced many its a great phone and impressive tablet)...I know zero people on HTC, Samsung Galaxy 3,4,5 or Nexus 5 devices with this issue ?

Not to say its not there for anyone but there does seem to be a far greater issue with Sony and no communication. Why is it not on BBC news saying that 50% of top end smartphones have been hit by a recent update and massive battery drain issue....little on technical news if it was that widespread ?

Next BMW Press release...not a real problem with our cars providing you dont mind not being able to use the drivers door, windscreen wipers and electric windows......or you run out of petrol in 5 miles ?!

Commissioner
Message 466 of 953
Message 466 of 953

@EdFX wrote:

Well the frequency could well be related to the problem at hand.  Every single person I know at the moment has been hit with this issue on Xperia Z devices (I have convinced many its a great phone and impressive tablet)...I know zero people on HTC, Samsung Galaxy 3,4,5 or Nexus 5 devices with this issue ?

Not to say its not there for anyone but there does seem to be a far greater issue with Sony and no communication. Why is it not on BBC news saying that 50% of top end smartphones have been hit by a recent update and massive battery drain issue....little on technical news if it was that widespread ?

I *never* said that the problem was not most widely seen on Xperia devices, I was just reponding to the sentence: "People who use other KitKat phones don't report of this continuous battery drain."  which is false since examples are easy to find.

**EDIT**

Maybe a great amount of Xperia owners are activating "My Xperia" service which use localisation service wiich is one of the main source of extra battey usage.

Inhabitant
Message 467 of 953
Message 467 of 953

Yeah.....thank a lot  u for the  Kitkat 4.4.2 update ,  ! 

I updated it on  receaving notification on 03.07-14   in OTA . It  took around 45 mnutes but I found it's  battery life has been greatly hit for unknwon reason ( Would it be the POWER BUG Sony ?) 

However, after going through the poor battery drainage  behavior ,I did two thnings . I  first deactivaed the Ad , available in settings, and then I opted to go for the trial with Battery Life Repair app and it has dramatically changed the dismal power drainage issue !

I am based in Kolkata, India and has been waiting for this update and now I am using it , I felt that other such sufferers may use  this processes  which I did .may find some result .Sony cannot deny their failure in providing a better solution  to overcome this BUG in their next  Buiid Vesrion (the Buid Version is 10.5.A.0.230)   would.hopefully address this issue which would be relieving the Xperia ZR users .!!!!!!  

Waiting to find more on this issue !    

Talent
Message 468 of 953
Message 468 of 953

I do follow this fourm every day. Since the 4.4.2 introduced the battery drain issue, there is not even a single post by sony informing about what could be the root cause or what action can be taken in order to resolve the issue.

Not even a single official post from sony anyware to satisfy their customers .. atleast some thing like they are looking into it.

Worst thing is after 3 months of delay they released in India and golbally by the time 4.4.2 .230 update 

And there are so many post already mentioning battery drail. But still they have released the same .230 to customers.

Now India based customers are started facing the battery dran issues.

If the software is not accurate, sony xperia devices are piece of junk ( rather any smart phone) irrespective of it is flagship phone or low end phone.

Last year sony become 2nd choise, lets see how it will remain in atlease this position this year or in future. 

customer can wait for months but the wait should over with a right software update (atleast not having major issues).

I hope sony will quickly react in hours or days atleast declaring what is the issue and what solution it is going to provide for people who already effected with latest buggy software.

Highlighted
Learner
Message 469 of 953
Message 469 of 953

Running 4.4.2 v233 on my C6603 Xperia Z. Upgraded to Google Play Services 5.0.84 a couple of days ago. The phone was ok until today but without any apparent reason, Google Play Services began eating the battery again. I shut down all location related hardware and services, booted the phone a couple of times, but no. Nothing changed. I also own Sony SmartBand and Sony Lifelog app brought a new bug with the update of last week. Now Lifelog is preventing the phone get into sleep mode (stamina). I stopped using the SmartBand and waiting for a fix.
Adviser
Message 470 of 953
Message 470 of 953

Hey Sony development team,
Sorry to disturb you again, but I thought you should aware that after I update the least Sony lounge app, then my Xperia again began to slow down, so I had to uninstall it to solve this problem, so hopefully you will find a fix soon, and this time it was not because of Google applications it was from you