account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

4.4.2 - Battery Drain issue - Workaround \ Fix

SOLVED
One time poster
Message 241 of 953
Message 241 of 953

Re: Malfunctioning after update

I hope this information is helpful to you all.

I have an Xperia Z that I recently updated to KitKat. Shortly after upgrading I suffered the discussed issue whereby battery life was less than half what it used to be and battery management shows google play services using 85% of the total battery. I disabled location services and reverted goggle play services to default version by disabling android device manager and uninstalling play services updates. The battery life of the phone then returned to normal however as mentioned the phone was basically unusable as you are continually bombarded with requestes to upgrade play services.

Unfortunately I then lost my phone. I tried to locate it using android device manager and using Avast Mobile but could not due to location services being disabled. It has been reported to the police but nothing has been handed in. The really disappointing thing is that last time this happened I was able to easily locate it and got it back.

Now I had to buy a replacement so bought another XZ from eBay (hopefully not foolishly). This had not been upgraded to KitKat. I upgraded that phone up to jellybean and it is now running 4.3 on 10.4.1.B.0.101 with the newest (supposedly troublesome) play services 4.4.52. It was fine for two or three days then suddenly the overheating/85%battery on play services issues started.

Just to clarify my phone is still running jellybean 10.4.1.B.0.101 with the upgrade to 10.5.A.0.230 being advertised in the notification bar. it is running the newest play services 4.4.52 and is overheating, the battery draining in 6ish hours and play services using 85% battery. This clearly shows that the KitKat update is not to blame however there is obviously some incompatibility between the newest play services and Sony devices as this issue is not being reported for non-sony devices. This surely means that either Google or Sony should be able to provide a fix. 

Needless to say once again I am incredibly disappointed in Sony and must say the responses (or lack of) from representatives on this forum have been appalling.

I have always been a Sony fan and "trust" the company to look after it's consumers. This impression has been servery tainted over the past few years and this most recent issue does not help.

I now plan to update the new phone to KitKat anyway as it equally troubled on either OS and I actually found KitKat to be very good and solved a WiFi drop issue that has troubled me.

PLEASE KEEP US INFORMED! 

Good luck solving this problem as soon as possible!

Regards,

A once loyal Sony fan

Visitor
Message 242 of 953
Message 242 of 953

Re: 4.4.2 - Battery Drain issue - Workaround \ Fix

I applied the steps provided by admin Johan (backup disable ans location ads disable,) and not only the battery drain problem is solved but it seems to be better than before.

Additionally Google Play Services seemed to be updated by Play Store, but I can't confirm if it is related to the fact that the battery drain is solved.

The fact is the problem is over to me. I recommend using Johan steps.

Learner
Message 243 of 953
Message 243 of 953

**bleep** sony and her premium Zline. 600euros and only suggestion they made in a fortnight is to disable it, so I can't install any app any more. NEVER again. Worthless.
Rookie
Message 244 of 953
Message 244 of 953

anyone having overheating and restarting problem

If after upgrading to kitkat. You've experienced overheating or restarting its definitely the update. I downgraded my Xperia ZL back to 4.2 and all those problems went away. I originally thought it was the hardware.
Commissioner
Message 245 of 953
Message 245 of 953

Re: anyone having overheating and restarting problem

There was a solution posted at http://www.xperiablog.com on why all devices overheat with the upgrade.
Commissioner
Message 246 of 953
Message 246 of 953

Re: anyone having overheating and restarting problem

Visit http://www.xperiablog.net not xperiablog.com
Highlighted
Learner
Message 247 of 953
Message 247 of 953

Xperia ZL android OS update 4.4.2 low performance

After the Android OS update to 4.4.2 version, my Xperia ZL (ZQ in Brazil) device (model C6503) have been working with low performance. The speed to open, close and to type is low  and presenting lag (the screen scroll is not smooth).

My device usage is very simple. Basically I use Facebook, Whatsapp and the telephony functionality as SMS and phone calls.

Is there any forecasted fix to it? Is it possible to put back previous Android version?

Thank you very much.

Adviser
Message 248 of 953
Message 248 of 953

Why did moderator merged my thread "Google Services suddenly draining battery (without 4.4.2 update)" with battery drain issue of 4.4.2? I did mention the issue I'm posting is not related to 4.4.2 upgrade.

Please atleast read the post and atleast read title properly, before merging threads.

- Prateek Jain
Regular
Message 249 of 953
Message 249 of 953

Come on...

I'm just tired of all your weeping.

Yesterday I updated another phone, this time Xperia ZL. (I already fix the problems in a Xperia Z)

Yep, after the upgrade the menus and notification bar were slow. But just use something called "proactivity".

Disable location, check all apps of system and google, cleared data and disabled them (the one that I could).  Make a restart, enable all the apps (I left disable some of them that my girlfriend will not use).

And all problems are gone, the menus are fast, and no battery problem.

Yes, is a Sony+Google problem. But come on, fix it by yourself. And keep asking for a solution to others users. But stoop crying about no answer, there is an answer.

One time poster
Message 250 of 953
Message 250 of 953

This is absolutely ridiculous! We are not buying the google nexus phones, we bought a Sony's phone, so you guys from Sony are responsible for this, not google. That's obvious. When you get google's new firmware you MUST test it first before allowing people to download this buggy update. If the problem is with the latest google play services, then you shouldn't have released this update for the XPERIA Z! It seems that you didn't even test it before the  release, because that bug appears as you turn on the phone. I cant use my phone  it goes off at the middle of the day! I need it for business, i dont play games on it! You better fix it immediately, otherwise this is my last Sony's phone. End of story.

Dear Mr Darkhole,

If you are tired of our "weeping" then please, get out of this topic, ok?!

Don't think that you are smarter than everyone. I've tried absolutely everything, and it didnt work. I bought my Xperia Z more than an year ago for 800Euros, thats not cheap, and i dont want to turn off 90% of all the phone's options, because some testers in Sony couldnt do their job properly.Maybe i should turn off the phone completely just to be sure that the drain issue is not happening? Seriously? Thats ridiculous! If the new update has problems, DO NOT release it! And again, if you are tired of weeping, and especially fixed your problem, dont write in this topic, you are not helping!