account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

4.4.2 - Battery Drain issue - Workaround \ Fix

SOLVED
Adviser
Message 81 of 953
Message 81 of 953

Re: my z battery draining alot from past 1 week in 4.3

That's exactly what mine says. Don't know what to do but my battery is just draining constantly and has been for about a week. Is this issue gonna get sorted? Paying a lot of money out for not a very good service at the moment.
Apprentice
Message 82 of 953
Message 82 of 953

Re: 4.4.2 - Battery Drain issue - Workaround \ Fix

Clearing cache has finally worked,Used the phone quite a bit today calls and browsing,and at this moment in time the phone has 76%(15 hrs 14 mins) left.A big thankyou to the people that give such good advice on this site :smileysmileythumbsup:

Adviser
Message 83 of 953
Message 83 of 953

As a ZL user who updated to KitKat last week, I also ran into this Google Play Services eating my battery for lunch, dinner, and snack time in between. The phone got warm to the touch and it was constantly awake as seen in the battery usage graph. 

I followed the advice of clearing data (not just cache) from Google Play services (Settings->Apps->Google Play Services->Manage Space->Clear All Data [at bottom of page]) then rebooted. In the last couple hours, the phone is acting more normal and using battery appropriate to my usage. I need to fully charge it and let it sit around for a bit untouched to better gauge idle time. 

I've re-enabled location settings to "High Accuracy", Google Now is on, etc. to better mimic my normal phone usage and narrow down the changes to just clearing data. So far, it seems more normal. It's almost like the 4.3-4.4 update didn't mesh well with whatever internal database GP Services has and needs a reset. Nothing else usage wise (e.g. accounts) seem to be effected. This action could be explaining why those who've done factory resets are noticing better battery time results. 

I'll post again in a day or so when I can properly assess this change and if it's a true fix or not. Either way, for most people Google needs to push out an update to this APK to fix the underlying problem. The average user will hate their phone/manufacturer and ultimately Android if it continues like this.

Adviser
Message 84 of 953
Message 84 of 953

Update:

Clearing GPS app data & cache has been quite helpful. Everything is back to normal in settings for location (High Accuracy, etc.). *However*, the one thing I have kept disabled the "travel time" card in Google Now. I saw some battery usage creep up again when I had this one last night and promptly turned it back off. So far, other apps and things like screen time are listed as primary users of the battery now instead of Google Play services. So this is encouraging for me... 

Adviser
Message 85 of 953
Message 85 of 953

Doing my head in now!! Won't let me disable or restore factory settings for google services. I've cleared the cache several times and clicked on the manage space button more than once. Battery still being eaten considerably. Went down 30% this afternoon without using it. Constantly having to put it on charge.....arrrggghhhhhhhh!!!!! Not happy!! Help!
One time poster
Message 86 of 953
Message 86 of 953

Thank you this has worked a treat, tried it this morning and afternoon 8 hours I have 91% left after light use for some texts, emails and a quick call

Hopefully it continues
Learner
Message 87 of 953
Message 87 of 953

gmacek I tried what you sugessted and so far so good. I'll keeo you all posted

Talent
Message 88 of 953
Message 88 of 953

Well. I have it a week. The battery issue is bad. Really unworkable. Problem is that it is hard to tell what causes it. Back to AOKP and more generic 4.4.2. Too bad since I really liked the Sony skins and interface. I'll save the rom for another time. You can't even sell the phone with this rom.
--
Peter
Xperia ZL C6506
AOKP Rom User
Adept
Message 89 of 953
Message 89 of 953

@gliu20072008

I also tried repair via sus but it didn't help. I then disabled Google now and location. Then booted. 19h with 50% consumption. A record with that phone for me.

Of course I'd rather keep the Google now and location on the whole time but not if battery runs out in five hours or less.
Highlighted
Adviser
Message 90 of 953
Message 90 of 953

Google services still using 35% of my battery. What is the normal % it should be using? Anyone know?