account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Want to know more about Xperia 5? To read more about it go here.
If you can't find the answer to your question there please post it here and let the community help you.

Xperia Z Ultra touch screen problems.

SOLVED
One time poster
Message 21 of 32
Message 21 of 32

Re: Xperia Z Ultra touch screen problems.

I'm having this issue but not as pronounced as some of you. It's an annoyance as I'm continually clicking links while swiping over them. Furthermore, playing games that require movement with touch controls are unplayable (so just about all of them). 

Theory: This is due to static electricity build up. Are you guys using a rubber case? I believe I can force my device into doing these touchscreen clicks while swiping FAR more frequently when I rub my shirt on the screen and rubber case, creating static buildup on the device. Now, after I've done this, it seems to immediately get better if I properly ground the device by rubbing it against a non-electronic metal object (stainless gas stove, for example). 

I've not tested this theory long enough to conclude against placebo effect, but it seems related based on capacitive touch functionality. One thing I'm sure isn't a placebo effect: light touches with lower surface area DO NOT cause the problem as frequently as smuding my thumb across the device with pressure. A stylus functions near perfect, but wouldn't a stylus absorb built static electricity, thus supporting the hypothesis? Just some observations. 

Visitor
Message 22 of 32
Message 22 of 32

Hi guys,

I am having same issues with my Z Ultra. The screen protection is no solution at all, the problems remain. It is rather anoying to be cleaning screen every few minutes. I am considering to buy something else instead.

One time poster
Message 23 of 32
Message 23 of 32

I'm having the same issue. I'm on 4.4.4, and when my hand is sweaty, it starts that ghost touching. Sony people, could you please let us know of a solution?

One time poster
Message 24 of 32
Message 24 of 32

Hello there!

I'm facing similar problems with my Xperia Z Ultra. I've been using this phone for like eight months and, so far, he was perfect. A few weeks ago I tried to replace the protective skin that I was using and, after removing the old one, my screen went nuts. I've got the same theory about static electricity, but haven't managed to get the problem fixed.

I'm considering send my phone to maintenance, but here in Brazil this kind of service isn't quite... trustworthy, I guess. I'm afraid that they'll tell me to replace the whole screen or make me go through a really expensive (and probably not needed) repair.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Apprentice
Message 25 of 32
Message 25 of 32

I think the problem that we our facing in this unit is a factory defect of it! We have a similar problem except the one that i also experinced about the terrible vibrate. As i said my phone was undergone for repair according to the service center they replace already the screen, but still the problem existing!
One time poster
Message 26 of 32
Message 26 of 32

I cant write on my phone with pensil, how can i do?
I would like to take lecture notes with my pen or pensil on my zultra.
Apprentice
Message 27 of 32
Message 27 of 32

any screen protector can't solve the problem about sensitivity coz i already have screen protector but still its clicking alone  any where on the screen! i hate xperia z ultra! 

Apprentice
Message 28 of 32
Message 28 of 32

Hey you uliwooly your suggestion is not true because I'm still facing the same problem like this, i bought this phone c6833 last dec. 31, 2013 the problem is still recurring even now[2016], and it has screen protector. And if you reply us better bringing it to the service center of sony well i already did that,but nothing happend. I hope the next software update can solve it.
One time poster
Message 29 of 32
Message 29 of 32

I have the exact same problem with my Sony Xperia Z Ultra. The screen refuses to accept any touch input. I have press a point hard maybe 20-30 seconds for my touch input to be recognized. And then there are phantom clicks and touches all over the place. I clean the screen once, twice, three times, but still, the phantom clicks remain. The phone accidentally places calls, sends garbled messages, messes up with settings and generally can do anything. It is practically unusable right now.

ay6
One time poster
Message 30 of 32
Message 30 of 32

sony xperia z ultra touch screen not workig