account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

What is optimized backlight

SOLVED
Talent
Message 1 of 19
Message 1 of 19

What is optimized backlight

I been puzzle by it. Don't know what exactly what it dose. Can't seem to notice any difference when enable or disable. How it achieve display power saving? What is the effect to display when enable?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Sony Xperia Support
Message 5 of 19
Message 5 of 19

Re: What is optimized backlight

Optimized backlight is based on the CABL (Content Adaptive Backlight Control [also referred to as CABL]) technology which is implemented in the display. CABL adjusts the backlight dynamically based on the content being displayed. The basic idea is that by making the displayed image brighter, you can reduce the backlight and still get the same net result when the image is viewed on the display. Backlight consumes a lot of power, so reducing the backlight by turning on Optimized backlight reduces the battery consumption.

18 REPLIES 18
Master
Message 2 of 19
Message 2 of 19

Are you referring to the 'adapt to lightning conditions' under the brightness setting? 

When you have that option activated the display adapts the brightness to the surroundings which can save battery because it lower the brightness in dark surroundings. 

sony_logo126x24.gif
What are your thoughts about this forum? Let us know by doing this short survey.

Talent
Message 3 of 19
Message 3 of 19

Under Setting -> Display-> Optimized Backlight , this option if off will cause long boot up with backlight on continually. Resolve it by turn back on this options and reboot.

Talent
Message 4 of 19
Message 4 of 19

Dear Sony,

Are you not able to answer me on this simple question regarding a feature on your phone? or please point out reference so i can read.

Thank you.

Sony Xperia Support
Message 5 of 19
Message 5 of 19

Optimized backlight is based on the CABL (Content Adaptive Backlight Control [also referred to as CABL]) technology which is implemented in the display. CABL adjusts the backlight dynamically based on the content being displayed. The basic idea is that by making the displayed image brighter, you can reduce the backlight and still get the same net result when the image is viewed on the display. Backlight consumes a lot of power, so reducing the backlight by turning on Optimized backlight reduces the battery consumption.

Talent
Message 6 of 19
Message 6 of 19

Thank you very much. JOHAN.
Talent
Message 7 of 19
Message 7 of 19

Previous firmwares must be all messed up with CABL micro controller output settings so it caused sod and what's funny is that it's stated that .257 firmware has better battery consumption when CABL by itself is a better battery consumption. I guess the function is still there we just don't have an option to switch it off, playing with backlight wasn't a good idea
Don't forget to give Kudos and mark the correct answer
Regular
Message 8 of 19
Message 8 of 19

I had upgrading my Xperia Z Ultra into 14.1.B.2.257, and there are no Optimized Backlight...

Talent
Message 9 of 19
Message 9 of 19

That is because before that version, if you play with that option will cause some serious problem like mentioned before.

I think they hide it from user until it fix all issue.  FYI, currently that option even not show, it is ON by default now in new firmware. 2.257

Highlighted
Message 10 of 19
Message 10 of 19

After updating to 14.2 it will be showed.