account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Sony xperia Z ultra blank screen

One time poster
Message 1 of 14
Message 1 of 14

Sony xperia Z ultra blank screen

My Sony phone screen got blank on the second day of use. I tried to press the power button for more than 15 min.. but not helped.. Atlast when I removed my Sim card the phone suddenly started working.  I never expect this after buying such a costly device on second day itself. Can you tell me what made this device to get this blank screen. At night I made sure all my application is closed. it was having 100% battery charge. At morning I can get the viberation feel but no display.

This is not only peoblem with my phone.. but may people who brought this phone has got the same issue. Do u have any fix for it?

13 REPLIES 13
One time poster
Message 2 of 14
Message 2 of 14

Re: Sony xperia Z ultra blank screen

I have the same problem too and it is doing this to me every 2 days. I have to press the red button to hard reset the phone to turn the handset on.

Apparently through research it is a very common problem and it is a software issue. So no point in swapping new handsets because it will just be the same

One time poster
Message 3 of 14
Message 3 of 14

Press the power button and the upper volume rocker then it will restart your phone, if you have a black screen  just press the power button for about 10 seconds and just leave it for about 2 minutes then it will turn on.

Talent
Message 4 of 14
Message 4 of 14

Hi, try this.

Using pc companion update firmware to 532. If already, do repair. Data will gone.

Make sure Setting -> Display -> Optimized Backlight is checked.

When blank screen occur after pressed power button once. Leave it for a while it should wake up.
Rookie
Message 5 of 14
Message 5 of 14

Thank you so much! My phone hung up for no reason and it was refusing to power down. I could see that while the screen remained blank, it was still powered on (the faint backlight was visible) and the top half of the handset began heating up.

I followed your advice and pressed the Power button + Volume up button and it restarted just fine. I'm holding on to .510 firmware and have resisted the upgrade to .532 due to various issues cited by others on this forum.

One time poster
Message 6 of 14
Message 6 of 14

Is it worth to buy this phone? Or due to the fact that its getting the black screen or hangs, that it will just be a waste of money? Tnx
Highlighted
Visitor
Message 7 of 14
Message 7 of 14

After update 4.3 when i want to play my ALBUM and VIDEO wait long time for loading after that screen become blank and restart himself... Is it a big sony problems?
One time poster
Message 8 of 14
Message 8 of 14

Yes I have all the same problem. Its the only phone I can't use phone banking. Let's hope new S/W version 4.4 kitkat will sort it.
Apprentice
Message 9 of 14
Message 9 of 14

same here

i flash my phone

reset and erse all of data

and update to 4.4.4 but still got blank screen sometimes( many times)

One time poster
Message 10 of 14
Message 10 of 14

Hello All, I just figured out my Proximity detector issue so I thought that I would share it with you.  

I got a new flip case for my Z Ultra.  And it has a magnetic clasp on the front flap that attaches to the magnet on the back of the case - on the left side of the phone.  I have goofed around with solutions for the Proximity detector for a couple of days now.  

The detector always read ON when I put in *#*#7378423#*#* into the dialer.  I did this because my phone screen would go black when I made a call and it would not return until the other party hung up.  If I put my finger over the detector for 10 seconds or so then pulled it away, I would get OFF for 10 - 20 seconds  or so.  And if I did this while I was on the phone the screen would return for the same amount of time.  I tried all of the apps that people here and elsewhere suggested, but to no avail.

Today, I thought what about the case.  I pulled the phone out of the case and Voila the phone works fine.

BTW, I also considered removing the tempered glass screen saver, but that looks like it was not the problem.

I also thought it may be an issue that I just got the screen replaced and something was wrong there too.  but no.

My device is a gpe, so I thought that lollipop may have been an issue - no there too

I just tried this solution today so I am hoping that things stays good.

I really liked that case, I may remove the magnets and replace them with Velcro