account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Software update failed

SOLVED
Visitor
Message 1 of 18
Message 1 of 18

Software update failed

Hello,

While I m updating my Experia Z Ultra by PC companion, I don't really know what happened but now the device don't start at all I always get a black screen says the software update failed make sure that your phone is connected to the computer & try again. When I connect it to the computer the PC companion doesn't recognize the device. If any one knows how fix this?

Regards

Yasser

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Sony Xperia Support
Message 2 of 18
Message 2 of 18

Re: Software update failed

If an update has failed you may need to perform a repair of the phones software.

Disconnect the phone from the computer and then press and hold on/off and vol+ at the same time for 10 seconds.

Now start PC Companion (but don't connect the phone) and go to Support zone -> Software update -> repair (blue text) and follow the instructions from the software.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

17 REPLIES 17
Sony Xperia Support
Message 2 of 18
Message 2 of 18

If an update has failed you may need to perform a repair of the phones software.

Disconnect the phone from the computer and then press and hold on/off and vol+ at the same time for 10 seconds.

Now start PC Companion (but don't connect the phone) and go to Support zone -> Software update -> repair (blue text) and follow the instructions from the software.

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Visitor
Message 3 of 18
Message 3 of 18

Hi Rickard,

It is back to life. I don't belive this man,

Thank

You

So

Much

Highlighted
Visitor
Message 4 of 18
Message 4 of 18

I stongly recommend people try the things posted in the two post below before what has been mentioned in this thread.  This is because what is mentioned in this thread will mean you loose contacts, messages etc.... not ideal

Just do as described in either of these two posts:

Here (Post 2)

And

Here (Post 2)

Rookie
Message 5 of 18
Message 5 of 18

I am begging to this solution result in my Xperia Z1, I´ll be advising of some failure!!!

Rookie
Message 6 of 18
Message 6 of 18

I got the message:

An error occurred and it was cancelled the software update of the phone. You´r phone/tablet could be damaged. It is recommended to retry and repair the phone /tablet with the last available software.

Click on "retry" and follow the guide.

Lets try

Please pray for this°°° :S

One time poster
Message 7 of 18
Message 7 of 18

That solution doesn´t fix the problem in my tablet. Error 100 appears.

What can i do?

I try to charge batery but te tablet turn on and turn off all the time and i think that is not charging good...

Sony Xperia Support
Message 8 of 18
Message 8 of 18

This could be a security software in your computer blocking PC Companion. Try running a repair with Update Service instead and see if that works: http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/tools/update-service/

Visitor
Message 9 of 18
Message 9 of 18

hello;

my z ultra is empty battery , in charging has "the software update failed." message in black page.

Learner
Message 10 of 18
Message 10 of 18

I have the same problem as listed above (Xperia Z) and I tried your instructions. When update comes to the middle on "DeviceSoftware Update page step #3" new window pops up and gives "Device update error" to retry. "Retry" does not help. Please help with this issue!