account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Shattered Xperia Z Ultra back-glass

One time poster
Message 11 of 17
Message 11 of 17

Re: Shattered Xperia Z Ultra back-glass

I bought the Z3 Compaqt a month ago and have loved it eversince... until the back shatterd. I look after my phone very well and I didn't drop it so I am not sure how this crack came to be. I am really upset because this doesnt seem to be my fault and, evern worse, is the fact that the crack now makes my phone not waterfroof anymore. What can I do? Did Sony fix any of yours? Is Sony willing to pay for fixing something that they have consistently  and unsuccessfully put in their design of their phones? Why have they not changed this 2 years later?

Apprentice
Message 12 of 17
Message 12 of 17

i need to say that buying this z ultra is a total waste of time nd money....my z ultra showed CAMERA NOT AVAILABLE on the second day of purchase whch made me extremely unhappy but i took it to service centre and did a software update...and returned home but unfortunately, it showed the same problem after 10 days...so they replaced the phone with another phone..
but i feel the new phones display is washed out colours when compared to my old phone...this is truly irritating me..now im regretting in not buying galaxy s4.( i have used many galaxy phones without a complaint and this time went to sony for a change ).i bought this mobile by seeing its water resistant capabilities and shatterproof body..but now i understood a plastic phone if far more better than a crap covered by a so said shatter proof glass...And forget to ask....Sony why are u selling a phone which.has a scratch resistant glass covered by a scratable film on it ? Whats the logic did u apply here?
One time poster
Message 13 of 17
Message 13 of 17

Same problems.

I leaned against my car with the phone in my pocket and it cracked though the bottom glass, and then later the top glass showed the same problem and ceased responding.

As frustrating as this was the help-line was far worse. The people who answer seemed far better trained in redirecting complaints and avoiding the caller than they are in offering information. The answer I was given ad nauseum was "It is a $40 fee to mail the phone in and inspect it. This is an inspection fee and does not cover any repair cost". No one wanted to hear the problem and getting an idea of how much the repair would cost seemed forbidden.

This seems like an unexpected and unrelated response on my part, but I was in the process of deciding what system to buy; Xbox One or PS4. The PS4 at the time was getting better reviews, however my live account was with Xbox 360. After trying in vain to get information on fixing my phone (a phone I loved) I bought a Xbox One. The way Sony's support staff treated me and avoided talking to me (nearly 2 hours on hold between 3 phone calls) I simply felt it was not a company that would be dependable in the future if I had any further problems.

I had already thrown $400 dollars away on one of their products, I was unwilling to double down knowing how their staff would treat my future concerns.

One time poster
Message 14 of 17
Message 14 of 17

My phone screen also got cracked by it self but our complaints are being treated. Within 6 months its screen broke. When I asked what i should do ,they told me to pay 11000 for the replacement Z ultra .So I am technically paying around 30000 for a 20000rs "SMART"phone. Well Done Sony.

Edited due to foul language

One time poster
Message 15 of 17
Message 15 of 17

mine Xperia Z back glass broken in my pocket...i went to sony center (pakistan) and they demanding $400 which is big enough..even sony has not listed our country in global contact forum.....what should i do??  

One time poster
Message 16 of 17
Message 16 of 17

Those cracks are identical to my own on the front display, the cracks not on the glass but beneath it and unable to be felt with a fingernail. My screen works perfectly but does not respond to touch at all. It occurred overnight as it sat charging in the Sony dk 30 charger I bought to make charging easier than opening a port. In the morning the screen failed to function, I live alone, the device never dropped or impacted and cased from the day I got it in the Sony wallet case made for it by them. 

This is a known and documented fault with the Xperia range, some get the phone repaired or replaced by Sony, most though, myself included, get told it isn't warrenty repair and attempt to extort the cost of a new device almost in repair quote prices. It is made worse as they collect your phone via courier and then examine it supposedly expecting you to pay the repair cost for what is a known manufacturing defect (Which report on this), if you dont accept the repair price, you either let them keep your phone, or have to pay for it to be returned.

This was about my 8th or 9th Sony phone, I have no intention of buying anything manufactured by them again as they do not honour their warrenty on their products.

Highlighted
One time poster
Message 17 of 17
Message 17 of 17

Anyone considering buying a Sony smartphone or watch should read this thread first.

My own experience is similar to many here.

I had Xperia Z Ultra and quite happy with it. A few months later got a Sony Smartwatch.

Phone screen cracked while the phone was in my pocket. No drops, nothing hit it, just a the flexing from my leg bending broke the screen.

Still well within 1 year of purchase I expected warranty to replace it - they did not and tried charging me almost the full price of the phone to repair it. I refused and bought a phone from another manufacturer.

A year later the watch LCD screen leaked. Once again Sony refused to repair. Apparently warranty for watches is 12 months and I had mine for 13... Wow. Never buying Sony again EVER.