account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up cart mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mobile World Congress 2019

Sonys Press conference from MWC took place end of February
If you missed it you can watch it here.
Please join the discussion here and share your thoughts on what was anounced here. MWC 2019 discussion.

Power button stopped working.

Learner
Message 1 of 5
Message 1 of 5

Power button stopped working.

Hello all! I am new here.

So yesterday I was using Chrome and after completing my work when I put my phone down, after pressing the power button, I noticed that my screen had not turned off. I pressed the button again to no avail. I then put the phone upside-down as I have figured that the screen turns off; it did. Then a minute later I picked up the phone and pressed the power button and again it did not work. I then pressed the + volume button and the screen turned on (now I think my phone was powered off, I do not remember, I was working all night, do not blame me so, maybe I actually did the power and volume button thing to restart and see if the power button starts working instead of pressing the  + volume button).

Whatever the case I was able to access my phone. After doing multiple things that Sony support said the power button did not come alive. Then simply I pressed the +volume button slightly longer and the menu appeared from where I pressed the power off option. I noticed that my mobile phone turned off but restarted automatically no case is messing with it and the power button is not stuck at all. Everytime I press the "power off" option it restarts instead of turning off. I waited for the battery to die and see what it does and as my phone switched off after battery ended the red light started blinking as if something was trying to restart it, it did not stop blinking until I recharged it, and again the phone restared as soon as I plugged in.

I did the safe mode solution to see if any app was causing it, factory reset and software repair from PC companion, none worked.

Initially I had just picked the phone for a minute to see something on Chrome and I immediately put it back and the power button was not working, so the point is I was not using it for a long a time, it was just a minute.

Please someone help me! I really am worried.

4 REPLIES 4
Sony Xperia Support
Message 2 of 5
Message 2 of 5

Re: Power button stopped working.

Hi @Skythoughts, sorry to hear about this. Slightly frowning Face

I'm afraid that there is not that much I can suggest as you have already done all the troubleshooting with the help of your Local support team.

If you have a case on your device, have you tried removing it and see if there is any change? If you do not have a case, I recommend that you get in touch with your Local support team again so they can arrange a repair for you.

Keep me posted!

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

One time poster
Message 3 of 5
Message 3 of 5

Removing the case does nothing. Can you still tell me that what does it mean when by that everytime I press the "power off" option it restarts instead of turning off?

Can the power button be repaired of my mobile by going to Sony support?

Sony Xperia Support
Message 4 of 5
Message 4 of 5

Hi again!

It's hard to say why it does that, however it can very well be related to the power button not working correctly.

You can either visit an authorized service centre in your area if you already know the location, or your Local support team can arrange a repair for you, or inform you of the location of authorized service centres in your area.

Keep me posted!

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Learner
Message 5 of 5
Message 5 of 5

Thanks for your reply!

I will surely go for the repair and see what happens; will report back!