account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Want to know more about Xperia 5? To read more about it go here.
If you can't find the answer to your question there please post it here and let the community help you.

Network or SIM card error

Visitor
Message 1 of 17
Message 1 of 17

Network or SIM card error

Bought my wife the Sony Xperia Z Ultra for Christmas. She was thrilled until she tried making some phone calls and the phone randomly re-booted itself. Sometimes it works, many times it doesn't. I took the phone back to the supplier and they replaced it (took 4 days). Happy to get her phone back, she started making calls and the same thing happened: random rebooting of the phone. Message says "Network SIM card error". The SIM light at the top of the phone shows a red "X" and then the phone shuts off and reboots.

I called our service provider (Bell Canada) and they said they'd not heard of such a glitch. At first they thought it was the SIM card because . . . well, how could it be that 2 phones had the exact same, weird problem? The tech spoke with his boss and came back to tell me that it wasn't the SIM card because the SIM card may just drop a call or not be able to find a network in the worst case scenario, it had to be the phone. So tomorrow, I'll be going back to the dealer again and seeing if the same thing happens to a 3rd phone. Not too pleased about this at all. 

Anyone else experiencing this problem?

Thanks in advance for reading this.

16 REPLIES 16
Emperor
Message 2 of 17
Message 2 of 17

Re: Network or SIM card error

Before you send your phone back, get a brand new MICRO SIM card, make sure that it is a MICRO sim card not a trimmed SIM card

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Visitor
Message 3 of 17
Message 3 of 17

Thanks very much for your reply!

Is there a way that I can tell what SIM card's in there now?

Emperor
Message 4 of 17
Message 4 of 17

Remove the SIM card and take a picture > upload it to box.com (make sure to make the file public) post the link here 

or just google a MICRO sim card from your network and compare it, even if you have the correct micro sim card, it might be faulty 

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Learner
Message 5 of 17
Message 5 of 17

I actually have exactly same problem with my xperia z ultra. It acually is not random in my case. It reboots when someone is trying to call me or i am trying to call someone. I have second phone to which people let me know they were trying to reach me at z ultra otherwise I would have just missed a call and not know about it. I am waiting for my replacement phone and hopefully that will resolve the issue but your post make me pesimistic. Unfortunately Bell is not much of a help. Customer service basically told me to deal with the retailer, the Bell store I bought the phone from.

This "phone" does everything very well except making phone calls. Maybe there is a reason why similar spec'ed Samsung note 3 is $300 when my xperia z ultra is $0 under contract.... Slightly frowning Face
Sam
Sony Xperia Support
Message 6 of 17
Message 6 of 17

I have used the Xperia Z Ultra extensively as have many people I am aware of without this problem so it should not happen with your replacement. If by some small chance it does please do let us know so that we can look into this for you.

Don't forget to mark posts that answers the topic as Accepted Solution. 
If you find any post helpful, press Kudos.
What are your thoughts about this forum? Let us know by doing this short survey.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Visitor
Message 7 of 17
Message 7 of 17

Thanks for your reply. 

I went to the store that I purchased the phone from. They replaced the SIM (yes, it was a mini SIM to begin with) and I made 10 calls from inside the store to see it the phone would re-boot. Success! It's was okay. Got home, gave it to my wife. She made one call . . . the phone rebooted. Slightly frowning Face Hasn't done it since then, but she's only made 2 calls.

Hopefully the phone was just flippn us the bird one last time and will now start behaving but . . . I'm not optimistic. 

Learner
Message 8 of 17
Message 8 of 17

It seems number of Xperia Z1 users are having very similar issue. 

http://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-Z1/z1-crashes-reboot-during-incoming-calls/td-p/407585

Enthusiast
Message 9 of 17
Message 9 of 17

Hi there!

I have an Xperia Z Ultra C6833 (LTE capable) phone (bought some months ago). I encountered somehow the same problems. Symptoms are as follows:

- Sometimes the phone turns off without any interacton.

- After a phone call the service go away (several times). I can't  start or receive phone calls for a while (it say: service is unavailable) and then it reconnects that takes 1-2 minutes.

- Currently the data traffic service went away (for 2 days and still away) so unable to use internet on the phone (no LTE or 3G signs are labeld) however others can use the service with the same service provider. I can use the phone call and SMS service only.

I live in Hungary (Budapest) and here my service provider is T-Mobile HU (Telekom).

I have reviewed the configuration setting and asked the service provider whether they are OK or not and I was told it's OK.

My questions are:

1) How can I diagnose if there is a problem with my phone? (Is there any app that could run low level tests against chipsets etc.?)

2) What steps should I get through to find out what could be the problem?

3) Is it a phone problem or an app is breaking the service somehow? (I always checks permissions that installed apps require.)

I gess it is a serious and annoying problem and the basic functionalities are broken it this manner. I like this phone and want to find a solution. Please let me know how to do that.

If you need some details... I'll post, just let's talk.

Thanks!

Talent
Message 10 of 17
Message 10 of 17

My xperia Z ultra was in repair with SBE (Sony's authorised repair in the UK) for a screen replacement (got dead pixel) after repair I've got exact same issue "unable to register with the network" (before screen replacement all worked fine) , I've sent my phone back to them after the 4th time they've actually repaired it (they was sending me phone 3 times with this faulty stated that all worked fine for them). That experience was a nightmare
Don't forget to give Kudos and mark the correct answer