account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Lollipop Screwed my Xperia Z Ultra Experience.

SOLVED
Apprentice
Message 1 of 23
Message 1 of 23

Lollipop Screwed my Xperia Z Ultra Experience.

I must begin by saying,I hate the Lollipop update on XZU. The clownish bright colors and whites. I so badly miss the dark default Sony theme of Kitkat 4.4.4 The notification dropdown in all black just looked so sexy. All text and images used to pop on it. Now it just looks so stupid in white and grey. Earlier I used to just love looking at my phone's gorgeous display. No more..Lollipop ruined it totally and I regret my decision so badly to update the phone. 

Is there any way I can rollback to Kitkat 4.4.4? I want to keep the OEM rom. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Forum Legend
Message 4 of 23
Message 4 of 23

Re: Lollipop Screwed my Xperia Z Ultra Experience.

Sorry forgot to add the link to the guide in my post above - Please see here - again ignore the title but do follow the guide which is the same for all Xperia devices

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.   Richard P. Feynman

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22
Forum Legend
Message 2 of 23
Message 2 of 23

You need to manually flash your phone to downgrade - You will need a .ftf firmware file and with that manually flash using Flashtools,

Ignore the title but do follow the guide and look for a firmware ending with .108 which is KK 4.4.4 - Customized is generic and free from network branding

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.   Richard P. Feynman

Apprentice
Message 3 of 23
Message 3 of 23

Thanks, bruh. Any chance you could have a link to a trusted source where I can find the OEM .108 firmware which is untampered? 

Thanks. Slightly smiling Face

Forum Legend
Message 4 of 23
Message 4 of 23

Sorry forgot to add the link to the guide in my post above - Please see here - again ignore the title but do follow the guide which is the same for all Xperia devices

View solution in original post

Apprentice
Message 5 of 23
Message 5 of 23

Thanks so much! Slightly smiling Face

Highlighted
Learner
Message 6 of 23
Message 6 of 23

@Cyphr I have the same sentiments as you. In my opinion, Lollipop did really screw the Z Ultra experience. I am loving my phone (C6833) running KitKat 4.4.4 out of the box. I updated mine last night through PC Companion. At first I was happy with Lollipop but then it all disappeared when I started noticing the bugs and changes. I like KitKat's Notif/Status Bar waaaayyy more than this. The dark background just looks sleek and elegant. And not only that, I like the overall appearance and UI of the apps in KitKat. The Recent Apps button - I just don't like the way the Recent apps are displayed. You can't even close them all in one tap - this is a feature lost! And in the lockscreen, after pressing the power button, you need to swipe up first before being able to draw your unlock pattern - it's ridiculous!

It also seemed that the battery drains faster by about 10% and the phone also heats up faster (I'm not sure but these are what I've noticed). It looks like the Stamina Mode just fails to do its job well. And another important thing - I've experienced a slowdown in transition when switching apps and in swiping at the homescreen.

If these bugs persist, I might consider using the guide to flash the OEM KitKat back. Btw, thanks a lot to @Thommo for the guide/solution. I MISS KITKAT.

Forum Legend
Message 7 of 23
Message 7 of 23

I have the UK Generic firmware for 4.4.4 if needed C6833_14.4.A.0.108_UK Generic.ftf for the C6833 as it's the phone I have and use daily

Apprentice
Message 8 of 23
Message 8 of 23

I'm so happy you posted this.

Can confirm that your advice has successfuly downgraded my phone back to Kitkat for my Unlocked Xperia Z Ultra without any problems.

I've also disabled System Update Notifications so that I'll never be reminded of this horrible update ever again.

Learner
Message 9 of 23
Message 9 of 23

@Thommo Are the ROMs with Operators labeled as "Customised" the Generic ones?

Learner
Message 10 of 23
Message 10 of 23

@Cyphr Have you flashed KitKat 4.4.4 back?