account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Could not turn on Screen mirroring. The output device is not ready or does not support HDCP

Enthusiast
Message 1 of 71
Message 1 of 71

Could not turn on Screen mirroring. The output device is not ready or does not support HDCP

I am trying to use the Screen Mirroring feature of my Sony Xperia Z Ultra to connect to my android TV box running Android 4.2.2. However, it will always give me this error message 'Could not turn on Screen mirroring. The output device is not ready or does not support HDCP'. Would you be able to tell how can I resolve this please?

I have lodged a job (Reference number: 1-772928361) in regards to this issue but still not having a properly solution to this issue. Would someone be able to point me to a right direction please?

70 REPLIES 70
Sony Xperia Support
Message 2 of 71
Message 2 of 71

Re: Could not turn on Screen mirroring. The output device is not ready or does not support HDCP

First check if there are any settings for HDCP in your box and if so enable it.

I've also seen some reports that certain Miracast devices doesn't work well when they're not connected directly to the TV. If you have the box connected to a receiver, HDMI-split or similar, try connecting it directly to the TV and also try it on another TV.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Enthusiast
Message 3 of 71
Message 3 of 71

Re: Could not turn on Screen mirroring. The output device is not ready or does not support HDCP

Thanks for your reply.

1) My android TV box is connected directly to TV and running android 4.2.2

2) I have go to the Company support forum and the staff is saying the other devices like HTC one, Nexus 4, Nexus 10 and LG are working well. Only Sony Xperia Z series models have reported to have this problem.

Sony Xperia Support
Message 4 of 71
Message 4 of 71

I still recommend that you also try connecting it to another TV as well as the error suggests HDCP is not supported by the device.

According to your email to your local support you have a Minix Neo X7? If so the problem doesn't seem to happen only with Xperia Z. Seems the same problem also occur if you connect a Samsung Galaxy S4 from reports i've found on their forum and Facebook.

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Enthusiast
Message 5 of 71
Message 5 of 71

Thanks for your reply.

1) You are right. Samsung smart phones also have the same issue but I am not using samsung and that's why I don't want to get you distracted.

2) Tried to connect to a different TV and still got the same error.

Any thoughts?

Sony Xperia Support
Message 6 of 71
Message 6 of 71

I suspect you already have done that but make sure that you have the latest firmware in both the box and TV and also try resetting them. To update/reset the phone you can use PC Companion to make a repair of the phones software.

If this doesn't help i would recommend that you try your phone against another device to see if the phone is working as it should and again contact Minix to check if there might be a setting for enabling HDCP or problem with HDCP-support in this box.

Enthusiast
Message 7 of 71
Message 7 of 71

Thanks for the reply.

1) I have purchased the tv box in July and have the latest firmware installed

2) I have recently updated my phone with the latest firmware

3) No other device for me to test. As I mentioned previouly, users from other brands like HTC, LG and Nexus confirmed screen mirroring is working fine with the Android TV box.

What else you still want to try? 

Sony Xperia Support
Message 8 of 71
Message 8 of 71

Also make sure that you've made a reset of the phone and box after the update.

Perhaps you could contact a dealer that sells TV's and other home electronics to test if your phone is working properly? An authorized service location can also investigate your phone.

Enthusiast
Message 9 of 71
Message 9 of 71

Thank you for your reply

1) I have done the reset after update but still not working

2) I have tried other android TV box but still couldn't get it working (i.e. with the same error)

Please have a look at this review (http://www.techradar.com/au/reviews/phones/mobile-phones/sony-xperia-z-1119637/review/9). It seems that other user is experienced with the same problem.

"We've already mentioned DLNA and the Throw technology included in the Sony Xperia Z. There's also the ability to mirror your screen to the television, but despite having success with Throw, we couldn't get the mirroring to work on our Samsung TV."

Enthusiast
Message 10 of 71
Message 10 of 71

Could someone please reply to questions please?