account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

My screen suddenly went dark today and I can't see anything but phone is still on.

One time poster
Message 1 of 11
Message 1 of 11

My screen suddenly went dark today and I can't see anything but phone is still on.

Today I was using my phone as normal and the closed it and put it into my pocket. About 5 minutes later I took it out to use it again and the screen was just dark but the little light was flashing as if I had a message.....in a certain light I can just about make out the apps on the screen but not enough to see or use it. Everything is working but the screen is so dark, almost black. The brightness is turned fully up but the screen is still black. I've tried restarting and everything. Please help!!! 

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Message 2 of 11

Re: My screen suddenly went dark today and I can't see anything but phone is still on.

Hi @Lucaspolkadot

Do you have any screen protector that can be interfering with the proximity sensor? Do you have the screen brightness in auto mode?

You wrote that you tried restarting. Did you try to reapir your phone with Xperia Companion?

This is a user-based global forum. So please, write in english! By doing so, it can be well received and monitored.
If the problem is solved, mark it as a solution so others can know Grinning Face
Enthusiast
Message 3 of 11
Message 3 of 11

Re: My screen suddenly went dark today and I can't see anything but phone is still on.

I have the same problem. When I have my phone in my pocket and I receive a call, nothing is visible on the screen, I have to wait about 5 seconds for the screen to light up. the screen brightness its in auto mode

On Android 7.1 there were no problems

Adept
Message 4 of 11
Message 4 of 11

I'm reporting the same issue. Screen brightness didn't recover from low settings when ring.
Someone must report this bug at Sony.

I urge you everyone affected by this to open support case. Not at this forums.
Message 5 of 11
Message 5 of 11

Did this star to happen after the Android 8 update? @Flegma2 @Lucaspolkadot @eugica

This is a user-based global forum. So please, write in english! By doing so, it can be well received and monitored.
If the problem is solved, mark it as a solution so others can know Grinning Face
Enthusiast
Message 6 of 11
Message 6 of 11

Regular
Message 7 of 11
Message 7 of 11

I have the same problem, seems as the light sensor doesnt work right? Takes a few seconds before I can see the screen. Always something with this phone.. 

Message 8 of 11
Message 8 of 11

Hey! @Raymond_B_ @Lucaspolkadot @eugica @Flegma2

Can you please tell me if you got the chance to run the Proximity Sensor Test under the Diagnose area on the Support app/Settings on your device?

Highlighted
Regular
Message 9 of 11
Message 9 of 11

Yes I did now, didn't show any problems. But I still believe that the sensor is either slow or not working very well. 

Enthusiast
Message 10 of 11
Message 10 of 11

same here , no problem in the proximity sensor test