account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

ambient light sensor

Inhabitant
Message 1 of 8
Message 1 of 8

ambient light sensor

Hello guys, i checked in the service menu the value of this sensor.
the weird part is that this sensor has just 2 values: 0 and 6645.
when you cover it up it.s 0, when it;s free is 6645.
This is really weird as the value should increase/decrease gradually when you move your finger over it.
There were reported problems of lower battery time using ambient light on. So, can you please check if your sensor is showing normal values? (more than 2)

also i tried 2 ambient light sensor apps that work well on another phone and they say they can't detect the sensor...
Thank you!

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Message 2 of 8

Re: ambient light sensor

You might have mistaken the ambient light sensor for the proximity sensor.

The ambient light sensor has several values which can be easily seen in the Support --> Tests menu where the picture is gradually changing it's visibility.

Either that or the values the apps can read are wrong. How are you reading the sensor output?

Inhabitant
Message 3 of 8
Message 3 of 8

no, i'm not mistaking it. i see it in *#*#service#*#* the old service menu.

i see now it's included. But i comparez the sensors with an xz premium and z2 and, trust me, i'm not confusing any sensor. 

I tried again today and seems to work, not quite good but okeish.

Also if i'm leaving it on, the display it's not that resposive in terms of changing the "light", i prefer it turned off. wonder if it's a software or a hardware problem

Inhabitant
Message 4 of 8
Message 4 of 8

now, reading here on forum, i ticked on ambient display always on. Guess what? no ambient display whatsoever, no appearing on lifting etc. weird...

Message 5 of 8
Message 5 of 8

Okay, I've tried with the service-menu through the phone-app, as you did.
The value for my ambient light sensor ranges between 0 and 325,83 indoors with many, many gradients in between depending on where the sensor is facing.

Also, my ambient display works as it should.

Seem like a soft- or hardware-problem with your phone. Software repair might help...

Highlighted
Inhabitant
Message 6 of 8
Message 6 of 8

thank you! can you post a photo of how ambient display should look like? i guess it;s a clock on a black screen, but i have'n seent it ever since i was not interested in it, i didn't played with this feature. Now playing with the settings, conducted me to the conclusion that this isn;t working for me, lol :Slightly smiling Face)

Message 7 of 8
Message 7 of 8

Oh great, so you've found the culprit for the Ambient Display.

Doesn't explain why your ambient light sensor readings are off, though...

Inhabitant
Message 8 of 8
Message 8 of 8

it's not quite of, for example, today it somehow worked. the funny stuff it sometimes varies the value depending on how i tilt the phone. i got 0, for example, then i lightly tilt the phoe (2-3 degrees) and then ai got that 6000 value. anyway, i prefer it off as i read that it consumes more power when it's on. But i thought that maybe it's a correlation between its high battery usage and this weird behaviour...

i tried it in the test menu and it slightly worked okeish.