account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

Xperia XZ3 not turning on or charging

Learner
Message 1 of 10
Message 1 of 10

Xperia XZ3 not turning on or charging

Good afternoon,

Currently having an issue with my Xperia XZ3 if someone is able to help.

Having been out for the day my XZ3 ran out of charge and ever since then I haven't been able to turn it back on or charge it up. Having read through and attempted numerous remedies from this forum and on Sony's troubleshooting page, I'm still having no luck whatsoever. I've attempted to factory reset via the power & volume down buttons, charged it for almost an entire day and Iv'e tried resetting with the OFF button at the top of the phone. Would appreciate if anyone if able to give any advice. 

Many thanks,

Jake

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Message 2 of 10

Re: Xperia XZ3 not turning on or charging

So it's completely dead and doesn't vibrate or light up even if you connect it to the Xperia PC Companion?

I'm afraid the only options are:

- use a different charger and a differenct usb cable and try to charge again for an hour

- connect it to the Computer, start Xperia PC Companion and try a "Software Repair" and check the small box that the device does not turn on or cannot be identified

If nothing works you should contact your local support as it's likely a hardware defect. 

Sony Xperia Support
Message 3 of 10
Message 3 of 10

Hi @Jakeusc123, sorry to hear about this. Slightly frowning Face

For how long did you press and hold the volume up and power button? If you haven't tried holding them down for 2 minutes (while ignoring all vibrations), please do that and charge the device until a charging icon appears on the screen > turn it on again.

If you still aren't able to turn the device back on, follow the suggestion that @skycamefalling wrote. Perform a software repair using Xperia Companion and if that doesn't help either, contact your Local support team and they will arrange a repair for you.

Keep us posted!

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Learner
Message 4 of 10
Message 4 of 10

Many thanks for your responses @Jonas and @skycamefalling. Really appreciated.

I've done the volume and power reset a number of times holding it for 5-7+ minutes and not had any luck.

I've not given the Xperia Companion software reset a go as yet so I'll attempt that and let you know how it works out.

Thanks again.

Learner
Message 5 of 10
Message 5 of 10

Another quick question before I try this out tonight, will the software work with my phone if it is completely out of battery and unable to charge?

Regards,

Jake

Message 6 of 10
Message 6 of 10

No, if the battery really is dead then the software repair will not work.

But if it's a software issue -meaning the battery is charging but the phone won't boot- then it might help. It's a low chance but it's worth to try.

Learner
Message 7 of 10
Message 7 of 10

Unfortunately the phone still isn't working after trying the software reset and every other method again. Will make efforts to get in touch with Sony now for a repair.

Appreciate all your help.

Message 8 of 10
Message 8 of 10

I'm sad to hear that Slightly frowning Face

I wish you all the best with your local support, hopefully they have a quick and good solution for your problem Slightly smiling Face

Pioneer
Message 9 of 10
Message 9 of 10

Once upon a time my Z3 Compact needed an AED to blow life into it again

In this struggle for life I pushed the power button constantly while charging. (aided by elastics and something between the elastics and the power button)

who knows knows
who doesn't doesn't
Highlighted
Sony Xperia Support
Message 10 of 10
Message 10 of 10

Hi again @Jakeusc123 and sorry to hear that you haven't been able to power on the device even after doing all the troubleshooting. Slightly frowning Face

I hope that everything will work fine with the repair and that you soon will have a working Xperia XZ3 in your hand again!

Feel free to keep us updated with how it went!

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.